Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Lineker, BBC and Freedom of Speech - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Given that the Brexiteers are bent on preventing people from even entering the country, it's perfectly obvious that Lineker wasn't making an obvious correlation about Nazi policies or Nazi racial laws....it was much more about the use of language.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He wasn't criticising ****ing language, he was criticising policy goals which will clearly breach Britain's obligations under many international treaties and protocols.

Braverman and Co's language is just the cherry on a shameful and despicable Tory proto-fascist idealogy.

Pull your head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I seem to recall Gina Carano saying something similar and the Cancel Culture brigade were out in force demanding Disney can her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Like I said to another poster, I never criticised Campbell for what he said or said I didn't agree with him. I have my own scepticism of BBC 'impartiality'. Is is true though that he is unpopular - with left-wingers and right-wingers. Why pretend he isn't? He tried to nobble Corbyn on the eve of a general election and helped arrange for the invasion of Iraq.

I don't see asking for voter ID as bigoted, racist or fascist. Braverman and Sunak aren't fascists. Braverman, who is a British-born Hindu Tamil of Indian ancestry, doesn't have a racist grudge against white Albanians - and why would she?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What do you and Lineker know of language used in German in 1930? Are you very old or historians maybe? Do you both speak German?

And what refugee crisis did Germany endure that took the form of people reaching German by sea in dingy's. You should know since you're such a expert in 1930's Germany.

What Lineker said was noting but a low brow cheap dig that alluded to fascism and you know it.

Even if he didn't breech impartiality guidelines and if he said something like Tory's are scum (which is the level of his input) the BBC would be right to sack him for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A lot of right wing commentators in the UK are talking about leaving the ECHR and totally ignoring international refugee law. This is already heading a bit too close to 'fascism', depending on how people want to define it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This one has not, seemingly, been reported well by the Guardian.

It was a five part series with a separately funded episode "inspired" by the series which was commissioned by private entities that the BBC then bought the rights to for iPlayer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And what refugee crisis did Germany endure that took the form of people reaching German by sea in dingy's. You should know since you're such a expert in 1930's Germany.

Comparing the language rather than the scenario rather explicitly makes it irrelevant that its not the same situation

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What do you and Lineker know of language used in German in 1930? Are you very old or historians maybe? Do you both speak German?

I'm not going to provide a biography for GL. I like to inform myself by reading and have a grá for history & politics.

I also speak some German.

You obviously don't understand want was happening in Germany and how it was politically manipulated. Language is an important tool in propaganda.

What Lineker said was noting but a low brow cheap dig that alluded to fascism and you know it.

He was accurate in what he tweeted. If it alluded to racism then that fascism exists in what he was criticising.

Even if he didn't breech impartiality guidelines and if he said something like Tory's are scum (which is the level of his input) the BBC would be right to sack him for that alone.

Why have they not taken action his tweets in the past e.g. criticising Qatar? Why did they not take action against the likes of Andrew Neal who runs a right wing mag? Why have they not taken action against Alan Sugar in his criticism of Labour, esp Corbyn? Do you not think it strange that the only person the BBC have acted on was from criticism of Tory policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Spot on!

At the end of the day it's down to money and that's the simple reason why democracy in the UK is merely a buzz word.

Like the US, the entire caboodle revolves around donations and cronyism.

People need to stand up for what they believe to be right.

I was born in England, for most of my life the BBC seemed impartial although the only reference has been the Independent and the Guardian for a long time now.

I never thought I would ever see the day when a party could be elected to run the country with an easily checkable history of lying, cowardice, incompetence and sackings in both the public and private sectors.

I don't care how anyone wishes to define democracy, but it breaks down when the peoples choice is based on false information.

Staying quiet and accepting the garbage is condoning it.

One of the main benefits of living here as an Irish national, is that I am not constantly drip fed lies or witnessing every journalists question about government failings being turned into a Tory sales pitch.

It does wonders for One's self respect!

As a human being, I thank you for your stance. I'm afraid I never had an interest in football and stopped watching the BBC news when it stopped reporting in a fair informative manner, so would find it hard to do anything in protest.

I never ate Walkers crisps incidentally, I suppose I could take them up by way of protest, but there are some activities that Mr Lineker is involved in that are not so "uplifting". and being fed his adverts is one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Why have they not taken action his tweets in the past e.g. criticising Qatar? Why did they not take action against the likes of Andrew Neal who runs a right wing mag? Why have they not taken action against Alan Sugar in his criticism of Labour, esp Corbyn? Do you not think it strange that the only person the BBC have acted on was from criticism of Tory policy?

Because they were valid criticisms...GLs tweet regarding the UK proposed immigration policy was inaccurate and offensive in the extreme. Trying to hitch it onto an argument of some sort of conservative party bias is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You’ll be more shocked to learn that the BBC was paying him £1.8m 10 years ago!

If he tweeted he was in support of the policy then he would still be on. End of debate for moi. I'm more annoyed with them not airing the Attenborough episode.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In what way was his tweet inaccurate? Also bear in mind that he didn't mention immigration policy.

Lastly, the BBC previously held the view that GL's tweets were his own business. What has since changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

They all came out to defend the anti semite Labour party though

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Aka :

If I don't agree with it then it's a Hitler.

Ridiculous take

Post edited by BoxcarWilliam99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

All your doing again is shooting the messenger showing that you arent ready to even try challenge what he said because you know you can't.

Voter ID laws in themselves are not fascist but the reason and implementation of them absolutely can be and in this case absolutely are. In 2019 there were 164 reports of voter fraud for the general election thats 0.0005% of the total 32000000 votes cast. This law is unneccessary and much like is happening in the US is being implemented for one reason and that is to disenfranchise demographics who are unlikely to vote for the party pushing for them ie the tories.

Also Braverman is a bigot, racist and a fascist. She uses language akin to that from 1930's germany, you can disagree all you want about that but then you are disagreeing with a holocaust survivor who might know a bit more about this than you do.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jan/17/confronted-suella-braverman-holocaust-survivor-refugees-home-secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If he’d used similar wording about bad drivers, the price of tennis racquets, service in a restaurant, BA customer services etc…….. nobody blinks… because he dares criticise and lambast something he should have every right to….but is therefore in conflict with wokeism, daftisim and gobshîteisim….

the support for Lineker this morning is unquantifiable. Brilliant to see. BBC are getting an absolute kicking, it’s gone global

a respected football website… “ BBC have just trashed their football coverage “.

a plethora of respected ex pros, current media people, in the UK, and further afield, all supporting Gary…. People have had enough of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Had he left out the foolish Nazi comparisons, I'd say there would be very little fuss about his tweet tbh. Just another yawn inducing remark from a famous liberal virtue signalling in their down time! (it's a popular hobby)

His tweet went too far. It went beyond simply disagreeing with an immigration policy in a civil and respectable manner. I think the BBC will probably be happy to dump him. He's overpaid and a bit bland anyway.

So a Holocaust survivor who said exactly the same thing 1 month before also went too far? Also he didnt compare anything to nazis, he said the language was reminiscent of 1930s Germany. But please find a tweet where he said the word Nazis.....

The BBC are stuck between a rock and a hard place of their own design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Nothing changed in 2023. What did changed in 2020 though was they hired an ex-Conservative member as Director General.

"Gary, we f*cked it. C'mon back, you can say what you like in future" will be the inevitable behind the scenes response.

He'll make some smug reference to "everyone scores an own goal now and then" and it'll all be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The real fun is the British establishment are so desperate to stymy the Tories on a policy that the public are four square behind them on that they're reduced to pulling out Nazi comparisons...oh sorry, 1930s Germany, because obviously he was on about the Weimar republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

Polling would suggest otherwise..... the tories are at 27% and would be lucky to break 70 seats vs their current 355 if an election was held tomorrow but according to you the public are full square behind them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You’re absolutely right; she just wants to send them to a country with such poor recent history that 600,000 people were killed in 100 days of violence. Such is the disregard for the rule of law in the IK currently that their recent immigration bill had to have a statement noting that it was not consistent with human rights as enshrined in the UK’s Human Rights Act.

in reality Braverman and others are engaged in dog-whistle politics which will come to nothing, very few will be deported etc. However, the intemperate language is entirely inappropriate. I don’t think his tweet means that he thinks they are Nazis. It’s a massive own goal, they are making progress in EU relations, particularly in France this week which might attract U.K. moderate voters. The Tory reaction to Lineker has undermined all of this which is exactly why the BoJo supporters are pushing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Completely agree with Gary Lineker and the stance of his BBC Sports colleagues. Lineker was only voicing what many others are thinking about the hard-right wing Tory party - the Nasty Party.

This also shows that the BBC is not independent of political interference and is, in fact, totally beholden to the current UK govt. 

Own goal, BBC! 🙄

Advertisement