Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You'd struggle to find people more frustrated with the current state of AAA video games than I am. But equally, I am entirely convinced the medium has never been more vibrant than it is now, thanks to the sheer volume of amazing and interesting games being released. The only problem I have is trying to find the time and money to experience even a fraction of them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the same **** you see with movies. People complaining about too many Marvel movies and ignoring the sheer wealth of amazing independent and lower budget films now that digital film making has allowed more people to get involved in the art.

Same with games, Triple A games are in an absolute quagmire but outside of those games I don't think we have ever experienced such a wealth of amazing titles. I used to be able to keep up quite well with new releases but it's impossible now.

The author is basically just saying in a long winded way that they don't play anything other than triple A games. The same type of person that says they won't get a switch because they don't like Nintendo games.

And singling out Elden Ring while calling Horizon Zero Dawn 'a triumph of original play and storytelling', get the f*ck out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Thought you folks might enjoy seeing this. Originally built this for Christmas for my girlfriend but the hardware / software had issues and didn't work by the time it got to her in New York.

She visited recently so I had a chance to revisit it all and get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Where is this treasure trove?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

For anyone who has seen Quantumania already was it just me or was the death scream from Space Harrier sampled in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Not a fan of how normalised it’s become on sale sites to post empty cases at regular ass prices. Nearly bought only the box for Fire Emblem Awakening.

• Advertisement

Was out in Glasgow for a birthday weekend for a friend. Walked past NQ64 and managed to drag a few people inside. Nice enough set up. Not a fan of some games requiring 2 tokens. Decent selection of games. Bit disappointed that street fighter 2 was rainbow edition as it's unplayable shite. Guns on point blank are a little off which makes some of the challenges impossible. They had the star wars and iron man pins as well. Star wars I found a bit difficult but iron man is a Great little machine. Had a few games of pac man and bubble bobble. The outrun sp2 machines are in great nick and play a lot of that.

They've four player Simpsons and X-Men.

Managed to get some multiplayer ddr and guitar hero with the people I dragged in that wouldn't be interested in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭dav09

Correct, have opened along side it and taken the basement. Opening next week!

Lots of new stuff, will be a bit different to the old place but better hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Best of luck to ye! In terms of space/number of cabs how would it compare to the old space?

Did Elevator Action fit? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭dav09

Thank you. I would say last spot had roughly 40/45 cabinets towards the end, I know at one stage it had closer to 60 but due to electricity prices, costs, restrategizing I'd say there were 10 or so less cabinets towards the end. This spot will have less again, maybe about 35 cabinets it's slightly smaller, still 4 or 5 cabinets to come in too after launch like Moto GP so might feel be a bit light for the start.

Unfortunately Elevator Action didnt for now! It was either that or Time Crisis 5! (and still it wouldnt fit into that space)

This is all kinds of awesome. Mouse support has been modded into kings field 1, 2 and shadow tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭barryribs

So I guess we can put the WiiU as a retro console now that the stores are closing.

I wasn't overly excited about it on launch but picked up the wind waker ltd edition in GameStop around 2013. Fabulous console with the backwards compatibility, some of the best first party titles released and the pro controller is still one of the best ever made - the battery life is incredible.

I'm still bitter about the majority of the library getting switch ports, exactly 0 of which I own on switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I understand the craic about Nintendo being anti-consumer with the Wii U ports on Switch but low-key kind of okay with it as it’s kept a lot of Wii U library super-cheap for those of us that did buy into the platform.

Found this interesting. Originally medal of honor was pretty damn gory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Softmodded my Wii U last night. Mostly to back up the nand in light of brickings, but there’s also a home brew tool that lets you pair any Bluetooth controller.

I have a whole bunch of Wii U games. Most ended up on Switch, but not the HD remasters of Zelda games.

• Advertisement

Now super paranoid and checking all my consoles. New battery for black GC needed but the disk drive still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Just checked as well. New cmos batteries required for Gamecube and Dreamcast. I'd imagine most will need replacement these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭barryribs

Isn't the dreamcast battery soldered to the board?

They all are (the controller board for DC and GC). You can desolder them and put in a new one, or put in a battery holder instead.

Watch out on DC batteries. They’re rechargeable. You can use a diode to disable charging and use a regular cr32 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

It's a long one but definitely worth a watch. Arcade history from1970 to 1999.

https://youtu.be/v8rhq5YKJPg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,815 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Years back I used to just get a hot knife and cut the old CR2032 off the battery holder and masking tape the new battery in place. 😂 Not elegant in the slightest at all, but it worked! Easy future replacements too.

I did not know that about being able to stop the charging function of the Dreamcast battery by the way, fascinating stuff. I remember years back putting a new CR2032 into my Dreamcast and wondering why it wasn't working.

Love the idea of just taping in a new battery!!

What's the best way to get component to HDMI? Was going to get a PS2 component cable for the framemeister but noticed it has no component inputs. Also I've only got component for my Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 34,815 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Advertisement

I don't but I really think I should invest in one at some point!

Advertisement