Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

0-1 in the Bunga-bunga derby. Snap shot from Messias was too strong for the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Handa in goal for Inter tonight is an odd one, it's not like Onana needs a rest and Handa was not great when he was playing at the start of the season.

Not a penalty, and lukaku gets 2 attempts to score. Inter the real boss

It was a dangerous tackle, his leading foot was high and not even close to the ball. The first attempt was terrible from Lukaku but the player who cleared it was clearly in the box before he took it so it was rightfully retaken.

I haven't seen any replays of the one on Barella, looked a pen from what I saw, looked like a push, but I have only seen it live so could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Problem I often feel for playmakers, if they don't have moments that stand out, people start saying they do nothing. Whereas, even when quite, their role is still the most important, giving structure and tempo to the teams play.

You'd often look at guys like Riquelme or Aimar and people complaining they did nothing in a game, because they didn't get a goal or give a defence splitting pass, but even when quite are linking it all up.

I suppose big things are expected by guys playing in the traditional 10 role, and when quite are often criticised or seen as luxury players which is often unfair, their influence often going unnoticed. Think about how hard it would be to conjure up moments of magic every game, and that being expected of you as a given, as your the playmaker?

You look at Xavi and Iniesta, even Pirlo, and even when they're quite, we're told you should accept they are the geniuses pulling the strings. Which they are, but it's hard for other playmakers, playing in weaker teams to get that benefit of the doubt I often find.

Even Aaronson getting panned at Leeds, people saying he's too weak and getting pushed off the ball. Yet since he's been benched, they have become completely rudderless in structure, he was doing the quite but important work, linking everything.

Edit, Diaz like Collado deemed too good to sell, yet parent club refuses to play them. That limbo situation not fair. If your on loan two years, parent club should be forced to sell if that's what player wants

Don't think that's fully true. De Ketelaere brought in incase Diaz won't become permanent at Milan. Club hesitant to build the team around Diaz, incase he can't stay. Diaz the better player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Funny you mention Riquelme in this type of role.

Was a big fan of him, but he was the type of guy many folk wouldn't see what he did in a game.

There is a great clip of him on YouTube against England. It's basically all his touches in the game in a compilation. When you see them all taken out and in that format, you realise that he controlled the whole game, against the highly touted English best in a generation midfield, without doing anything that would make the casual fan sit up and take notice.

But the game revolved around him.

I think the same applies to Diaz. The true mark of greatness is when you throw an exceptional playmaker into an ordinary team and watch the effect. Cruyff at Ajax and Netherlands, Maradona at Naples and even Riquelme at Villarreal.

Milan were struggling for years, hovering around 6th and 7th, and since the arrival of Diaz have become champions and contenders again. They haven't bought big, and many of the same donkeys still at the club from when they were struggling. Diaz has been the difference.

Even I criticised his performance v United last year as he didn't come up with the big moment in the big match, what you come to expect from the playmaker. But that shouldn't be the measurement really. Should be his influence game to game.

It's why Madrid won't sell him and as you say would be a disaster for him to go there. Playmakers given little to no chance if they aren't a big name. Guti overlooked badly during the galactico era, but when it clearly wasn't working, the club looked to him to be the pivot in midfield and things started to improve. But it took years for Guti to finally be appreciated, most other players wouldn't hang around that long

Absolute shte as usual out of you. Plucked entirely out of your imagination.

Diaz was not the difference. In fact that is the first time I have ever heard anyone claim this.

• Advertisement

Another terrible away performance from Inter at Bologna today, Bologna deserve to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Really disappointing match tonight

Atalanta have been absolutely woeful

Cheeky goal of the season contender from Biraghi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I remember Ilicic getting a near carbon copy of that a few years back for Atalanta when they hammered Toro.

Really like Biraghi, when you see him in the flesh you realise how high his workrate is. He's constantly up and down the flank and is a quality crosser of the ball.

Great to see Maignan back. Hope I don't regret that statement by the end of the night.

It's a fascinating battle for the top four as they are all so inconsistent behind Napoli. Roma vs Juve should be interesting. If Juventus can win they will be only 6 points off Mourinho's side and 9 behind Milan. I figured they were finished after the points deduction.

They probably are going to miss out. Took longer than I expected, but Allegri is slowly getting them back to where they were before he left, which is ominous for the league.

Can see them taking back over next year winning the league and continue their upward trajectory. So hard to compete with a team like Juve at their best, relentless consistency. Napoli can't stand up to a head to head season like dogfight. If Juve were currently about 7 points behind them, theyd break

Great to see the viola totally outplay Milan last night. So frustrating to know Fiorentina are capable of great performances but have zero consistency.

Inter lose away again, which makes it 5 points from 5 away games, all against teams in the bottom half of the table, since the the restart after the world cup. That's simply not good enough.

Away to Porto on Tuesday night too, can see Porto winning there.

What a goal by Kvaratskhelia.

• Advertisement

One of the goals of the season. What a signing he's been.

Line-ups for the Derby d'Italia:

Inter: Onana; Darmian, De Vrij, Acerbi; Dumfries, Barella, Brozovic, Calhanoglu, Dimarco; Lukaku, Lautaro Martinez

Juventus: Szczesny; Gatti, Bremer, Danilo; De Sciglio, Fagioli, Locatelli, Rabiot, Kostic; Soulé, Vlahovic

No sure how I expect it to finish, just hope it's a good match.

Looking forward to Napoli Milan later.

Hopefully they can put Milan to the sword.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Magnificent finish - game on.

Fine goal by Leao to take the lead.

Milan playing with energy not seen since last season.

Diaz 2-0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very nicely taken, 0-2 fully deserved.

Absolute Rocket !!

0-3

• Advertisement

Cracking shot from Leao.

Made by Tonali who must be one of the most underrated midfielders in the world. Won the ball and made the pass. Has all the skill of a pure all round midfielder.

Real coupon busting game!

And it's 4 an amazing destruction of Napoli.

Best performance of the year by far by Milan.

Saelemaekers with Maradona stuff at the Maradona.

4-0

• Advertisement

With 20 to go, I doubt Milan will stop at 4

Milan trolling now bringing on De Ketelaere for a goal.

And Bakayoko 🤣

Napoli will say they weren't trying or were missing this and that player ahead of their European match v Milan, but it's a very dangerous game they are playing. Milan would of been quitely confident of turning Napoli over in Europe, and this will give them even more belief and momentum.

I said before Milan will do them in Europe, and Milan were the worst team Napoli could of drawn. Milan hold the indian sign over them, and when the pressure was applied over the years, Milan always come out on top. The psychology will be huge in this European tie, and Milan beating them to the title last year, this result, and on top of that Milans European pedigree, it will weigh heavily in the back of Napolis mind, make no mistake about it

I repeatedly said last year Milan would win the title when in 3rd and if Napoli are to ever win it needed to run away with it like they have this year. Theres a bit of Spurs in them, apply the pressure and they can be rattled quite easily.

They've yet to be tested but have been now tipped by everyone to win it, but haven't proven much imo, and Milan have been completely written off by everyone despite showing steel last year and at times this year.

Napoli could get the run on Milan if Milan aren't on top of their game, but if Milan can hang in for the two games they'll twist the screw. Could see the nerves kick in for Napoli when they enter the San Siro on a huge European night, they think they know what they're walking into like they do every year, but they'll get a rude awakening this time in Europe.

I'd take my hat off to Napoli if they go through, but I don't think they will. Meeting fellow Italian opposition for Milan, and potentially in the next round, is a huge boost for them.

The one thing I've noticed with this Milan team, although limited compared to the other top teams, is they've shown fight repeatedly. When it looked like the title was slipping last year, they doubled down and went again. They lacked the quality to sustain that, but when the top 4 looked like it was slipping this year, they fought back.

They play as a team and play for one another. They have the ability to double down and raise their game when it's really required. None of the other teams have really shown this fight and grit. Give them a sniff and give them hope and they'll raise it when it matters.

I've often said it's dangerous writing them off. They're a tight group and are aware of the history they represent, and although limited, do their best to live up to the clubs reputation

Good article here about Lentini and his career, including his ill fated move to Milan.

Nostalgia for those of use who remember that golden era of Italian football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65116702

• Advertisement

Coppa semi-final 1st leg just kicked off, can't see anything but an easy win for Juve but hopefully Inter can keep it close enough to have a chance in the 2nd leg.

Half happy I forgot there was games last night because no games Easter Sunday.

Milan 0-0 Empoli.

Salernitana 1-1 Inter

Lecce 1-2 Napoli.

Doesn't sound too riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Sampdoria look like they're relegated and potential financial issues

Milan are in a precarious situation, top four or winning the champions league. I'm not from there, but from following their private groups, the feeling was top 4 was a priority, European progress would come in time.

Since the draw has opened up, the feeling now seems to be, win in Europe and the top 4 will take care of itself, the rest are that inconsistent. Even if they aren't, winning in Europe will guarantee a spot in the champions league next year anyway.

The parameters have changed in the club drastically, and suddenly there's an expectancy that wasn't there before.

Win or lose, people were under the impression, Napoli would be taking the game to Milan for the two legs, Milan holding out. Make no mistake, its Milan coming for Napoli, Napoli with everything to prove.

Their beating teams 5-0 is gone out the window, if they can turn Milan in the San Siro in Europe everyone will hold their hat off to them. Can they? History suggests otherwise.

All the "shrewd" punters who tipped Napoli to win the Champions League, like others who follow serie A hadn't seen it before, fail to grasp one thing. Napoli in their strongest era, lost the title to Milan last year, one of the weakest Milan teams many would say in years. Yet Milan did them. Milan at their very worst, beat Napoli at their very best.

We'll wait and see what happens in the San Siro, I'd be of the impression that Napoli and their fans should wind their neck in, it's not a forgone conclusion

As someone who follow the league, Napoli are just a team. In Milan, they've to topple an institution. It's easier said than done, forget the form

So Milan drawing earlier gave Inter the chance to go above them into 4th, but Inter were terrible again and lost 1-0 to Monza at San Siro. Inzaghi has to go at the end of the season surely, even if he wins the CL, the league form has been too bad.

That's all 6 points to Berlusconi's Monza vs the old enemy iirc.

It was a draw in the game in Monza, that was the one where the ref wrongly blew for a foul just before Inter scored meaning it couldn't be reviewed by VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Juventus up to 3rd after their points deduction was cancelled.

It has only been sent back to be re-evaluated, so they could still get a penalty. I expect it to be reduced to about a 5 point penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

With 8 games left I can see it be applied from the start of next season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement