Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

This team has not got the foggiest notion what to do against teams playing with a low block. The bad news is the vast majority of PL clubs play like that.

Utd didn't do it last week and got opened up.

We could be absolutely destroyed against Madrid - Ancellotti will have them very compact for the first 20 mins and just pick us off on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The questions of intensity and motivation are all secondary for me, because what's really glaring is that there seems to be no tactical nuance in this team. We don't seem to run any plays in attack, it's just a bunch of lads out on the pitch passing it around and making it up as they go. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times this season we've actually created chances from good passing moves or clever runs to pull defenders away, our plan is just "try and get it to the forwards and hope they pull something off"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Those 12.30 aways are killer.

BT getting their Des Kelly revenge a lot this season.

I think it's 4 times we have played that slot and lost now this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lost to the bottom team in the league 3 times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

6 games at 12:30 - 0 wins, 4 draws, 2 defeats. We've not scored in at least 4 of them.

Edit: might be only 5 games, not sure. The commentator mentioned Liverpool's bad 12:30 record during the game but I can't remember exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If the whole team, and it is the whole team, struggles in games like this and has struggled in games like this all season then it's a coaching issue. We play into the hands of the low block so easily, we NEVER try anything new against teams like this. Playing against Liverpool as a bottom 10 side is the easiest assignment of the season.

It's on Klopp and his staff at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

This team is so infuriating. Massive dent to any top 4 hopes with the run of games we now have and with Newcastle and Brighton having multiple games in hand. Nothing positive about today piss poor all over the pitch. Let's just hope Leeds and Wolves do us favors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

We all boycotting motd.

• Advertisement

What's very annoying with that performance is that they could have been a goal or two up by the time it was 1-0.

The heads went then and didn't really recover.

Also the best possible opportunity to make it 1-1 with 20 mins to go.

This seemed to make them worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It would make no sense whatsoever to win today, it's not in keeping with who we are right now, this was always going to be a loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I flagged it beforehand, a big test to back up last week's result - another example of lads clapping themselves on the back all week after running up a big scoreline last week and taking the plaudits, and not willing to turn up this week and get the job done.

I've not been hard on this team all season, there are many reasons for the loss of form and inconsistency, but this one is another example of a group complacent and lacking in the attitude to compete as a group at the absolute highest level.

The attitude stank to high heaven today. We can talk about absences and fatigue, tactics and all sorts, but this group pound for pound are better than Bournemouth, and they were deservedly beaten.

By no means a big shock though, we've do e this all season. How many points have we dropped to teams in the bottom 3 when we played them? Wolves, Bournemouth and Forest are 3, there are more in sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Klopp should be furious after that. The players that have won everything thanks to him are turning up if and when they feel like it. Batter utd at Anfield but an away trip to relegation battlers doesn't tickle their fancy.

Mo shouldn't be taking penalties again after that. GOAT me hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

It's no coincidence that we are awful in every game this season bar one or two,our midfield is a disgrace,fab,hendo,bijetic, Elliott, thiago none are good enough, nunez is 100% not good enough,keep playing these players and we'll keep getting these results,the truth might hurt but these are the facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I hope so or at least I hope that doesn't mean he's the best of a bad bunch next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sounds like i missed a bad game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They're not facts, they're opinion, and a terrible one at that.

Liverpool wanted it a bit less, lost the 50/50s on many of occasions, but still could have won it. I don't think its like the previous dour defeats Liverpool had in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

There's some very deep rooted issues within our whole set up to be honest. I know midfield and lack of midfield options has been the main focus but Klopp and Pep have some serious question to answer among themselves this summer. We have absolutely no clear pattern on how we are suppose to set up, you never see any patterns of play where a forward player or midfielder move or pass into a certain area to try and create space or overlaps. Or a serious of 3/4 quick passes that are designed to get certain players into certain areas in and around the opposition box. Everything seems so labourered, it's a serious a passes between the back 4 and maybe Fab and then it's a hoof ball forward. Not even a long ball to try get someone in behind. Just a random high ball that our wide men have to try compete in the air to win, it's so easy defend that stuff. Then the odd time any of the front 3 actually get the ball at their feet, it's like they have to improvise on the spot what to do next. They never look like they're in control of the situation. This leads to a lot of mis placed passes as players are constantly playing off the cuff. I'd love to see a stat for the most miss placed passes in the final 3rd, I'd say we have comfortably the worst percentage of all 20 teams.

The only time we seem to attack with any intent is in counter attacking opportunities, but that is only useful for the odd game against the top teams and is never going to be a option on a game like today.

The whole system seems completely broken and I don't know what has to be done to get it back. For so long we were just waiting for the Liverpool of old to turn up and things would start to get back on track but I think that ship has sailed. The players look more lost and devoid of ideas as the weeks go by... we're not going to be playing a naive and desperate UTD team every week unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I'd agree with almost all of this, but for the 'not as dour' comment. For me it was an incredibly poor showing against bottom of the table fare. We've demonstrably not learned lessons from previous encounters, which makes it worse. The complacency was infuriating. The urgency was slap-dash, and erratic. Just incredibly sloppy and unprofessional, when we should be knuckling down for the run in.

I'm splitting hairs, but today's performance rustled me jimmies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think there Re serious questions to be sled over the coaching setup and team this season.

We DO have a defined system, my problem with it is though that it isn't working since August and we haven't changed it. It's the same 433, relying on Trent and Robbo for width, relying on Fab to hold things together.... It hasn't worked since last August and we haven't changed ANYTHING really, still wedded to this same method and expecting something to change. Other teams and coaches will change systems and formations mid game, and we've had 7 or 8 months of this dross without any changes to formation or personnel (when available.).

Big questions over the whole setup imho, not calling for Klopp out or anything but something has to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes we have the same 433 set us but there was more to us that just the formation. one example been, when we had the ball Bobby used to drop deep to try drag out a centre half or occupy their holding midfielder. If that wasn't working you would see us fire a few quick passes into Bobby's feet to get him into the game and force one of their players to react. This used to give us loads of options, you would often see one of our midfields overlap into the space. Or if the center half was dragged out the ball would be put diagonally wide into the feet of Salah or Mane who would be moving at pace into the space. We also used to situations set up where the likes of Hendo, Trent and Salah would link for a series of quick short passes to try get Salah in behind.

We never play anything at pace into the feet of the forwards anymore in a central position to try and get the opposition deep lying midfielders or centre halves moving. Anything to feet now is to Salah or Nunez and they're usually almost hugging the touch line with no overlap options to try a create some space. They then inturn try to improvise which inevitably it doesn't work and we give away the ball. Our other main option these days is these floated crossfield balls that would may win 1 in 5. Likes it's not unusual now to see us going 15/20 minutes in any game and none of our front three will have had the ball at their feet in the final 3rd even once, it's mad looking at it. Everything is just labourered and uninspiring and the players almost looked fed up of what's been asked of them half the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

✋ Folk reckon Spurs are sh1t !!!! 6pts above us with a game in hand !

Pretty crazy that we don't play another league game until next month, while others will be playing multiple league games, we're going to drop fast, and need to go again with games in hand. We have 3 weeks off to get Diaz back, and others up to speed.

Maybe a Klopp Vacation is needed. Lets go to Spain on Wednesday and not some back for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Holy **** I just seen the score . Devastating loss after the utd game and with a Cl game were we’re 3 goals down

This is the games before Liverpool play again just a normal week fixture along with others getting their games in hand played

SUNDAY 12TH MARCH

Fulham V Arsenal

Manchester United V Southampton

West Ham United V Aston Villa

Newcastle United V Wolverhampton Wanderers

WEDNESDAY 15TH MARCH

Brighton & Hove Albion V Crystal Palace

Southampton V Brentford

FRIDAY 17TH MARCH

Nottingham Forest V Newcastle United

SATURDAY 18TH MARCH

Aston Villa V AFC Bournemouth

Brentford V Leicester City

Southampton V Tottenham Hotspur

Wolverhampton Wanderers V Leeds United

Chelsea V Everton

SUNDAY 19TH MARCH

Arsenal V Crystal Palace

• Advertisement

Yep, but when we come back in 3 weeks, they'll also play again on the same weekend, we won't have caught up.

Leicester created 2.35 xg against Chelsea today. 7 shots on target. In general, Chelsea are not scoring.

If that game wasn't away, I'd be confident of beating Chelsea. It might be the one to target a win in out of the run of 3 tough games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Are we in need to win the CL cos top 4 is gone territory now ?

Going to be lots of twists and turns for top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Shambolic performance! Hard to comprehend how to do that after last week too. Utd win tomorrow and they’re 10 points ahead too. More importantly though spurs won and Newcastle have the opportunity to gain ground too.

Do expect a lot more twists and turns to come though. Definitely not going to do it the easy way anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Nah, football fans and media in general seems to forget that the race for 4th is an awful sh1tsh0w most years. It often looks like a place no one wants. Any year we've scraped it we've either limped along or we've broken almost all of our worst ever records.

I'm still optimistic if the main group stays fit even if today was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Shocking result, but, sadly very predictable, we have done this all season. We've lost to the bottom club on a number of occasions this season and most of the relegation teams have taken points off us. Our away form in particular is desperate, there is little to no variation to our tactics and teams know how to defend against us. Klopp really does need to look at tailoring tactics according to the opposition, playing the same tactics against everyone doesn't necessarily work unless you are vastly superior which we haven't been this season. Not having a semblance of a plan B is poor from Klopp and really does need to be addressed; players get injured, lose form or get sent off, so there should always be a proper plan B and even a plan C for days when nothing is working.

Anything could literally happen against Madrid, wouldn't be surprised if we got back into the tie or get picked off. Top 4 is almost as likely as winning the CL right now, we really are relying on other teams continuing to drop points instead of keeping things in our own hands. Very disappointing.

6 points behind top 4 with a game in hand.

Essentially the same position as last weekend before the games were played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

No. We need to win the CL because winning the CL is really fun 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

Apparently Nunez isn't good enough,most weeks when he plays he's the best player on the pitch.

People need to get a grip

They do alright.

8 prem goals for 80m by mid-March and some people want to pretend the argument's over.

He's not supposed to be a squad player, he was bought to be one of the main men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Ah lads nunez is ok but let's get realistic his passing and control is poor and lots of moves break down due to him, get realistic he will score goals but certainly he is unfortunately worse than I hoped, he has no guile like suarez had for instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Mark this till next season, Suarez wasn't great his first season.

My memory is shot to pieces so I had to look

Suarez - 4 goals in 13 in his first (half) season

Darwin - 8 in 20

That's actually mad.

Not that I think he'll reach that level (that's an insane level) but it does show that some players need settling time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just watched the full match after avoiding the scores. That was a bad call. So so so poor.

Most of what I'd have to say has already been said - but just a special FU to Virg, who had an especially irritating performance. Somehow missed an absolute sitter from 3 yards out, and - much worse than that - was an absolute joke for the goal we conceded. Literally just stopped running. Just got lazy, and stopped. Like, even if he had disengaged from the challenge but continued to keep his head up and track what was going on, he'd have been in the way of the pass and they wouldn't have scored. But instead of just purposefully recused himself from the whole thing. The fella really looks to have a terrible attitude at times.

And one small positive note - Bajcetic was brilliant. Bloody hell like, it could have been a lot worse without the work he was getting through. Was basically our entire midfield on his own for most of the game, with Elliott running around a bit headlessly (before coming off), and Fabinho having returned to the absolutely rubbish 'shadow' version of himself. Bajcetic was the sole player getting stuck in and breaking things up, and then trying to get things going, and kept at it even while he was hopelessly overwhelmed in midfield.

• Advertisement

Darwin's a year younger in his development too. Suarez joined just after he turned 24, Nunez joined just after turning 23.

He's a little bit off his usual pace since his recent shoulder injury, but ultimately he's definitely one of the season's bright sparks for me anyway.

With the goal, watching the replay, I think Virgil slipped for a split second, which cost him half a yard and I just wonder if Robbo gave him a shout, as he definitely seemed to back off as if he thought it was covered

I'm not saying that for sure, just looking for excuses really. Overall I do agree that Virgil's attitude can be found wanting.

Yeah, he challenges first, then slips a little, and then allows Robbo to take over - but then he just does nothing. At all. Like, all he had to do was just stay jogging goal side of the player to make the cross more difficult (which would've likely stopped the goal). And instead he just disengaged from the situation entirely and stopped trying to defend in any capacity. Nuts. I've never really seen anything like that before to be honest. It was such a disengagement that first I thought he had pulled something and gotten injured, which was why he slowed and stopped, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

(Elliott was also really poor for it - Billings runs past him, and Elliott doesn't track, leaving Trent with 2 players to try to watch, so he gets stuck between them)

Can ye not understand that the squad is under a massive change, yes it should of been done over a few seasons but that's we're at. We'll still achieve top 4 imo and that'll do for me.

Shaq and Diaz is not the answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement