Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,064 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That's not what you said. You said any that sign up.

But signing up isn't good enough you have to follow through and not be giving into the NIMBYs like FF,FG and SF.

Your trying to dance around the fact your own party are not tackling the things you criticize the Greens for.

They have all signed up to being in the EU. If they aren't going to follow directives, that will cost us. That would affect my vote going forward.

The Greens have compromised their policies for tokenism IMO.

So I won't vote for them.

I have no interest in advising you on who to vote for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Any Irish government has to meet EU directive demands. If the Greens were not there the present and future governments would be doing just as much to actually impact on climate change. A few more people using public transport isn't going to have a huge actual impact is it?

They really wouldn't. Irish governments drag their feet on those directives all of the time. A classic example of how this works is the story of water charges. We were obliged to impose water charges as part of the European water framework directive. The process of introducing them was well underway under the FG-lab government. Then PBP spooked SF who in turn spooked FF who in turn made it a condition of them supporting FG in power in 2016 that they'd scrap water charges. In an effort to comply with the EU directive they instead came up with the excessive usage charge - a classic fudge.

The EU is suing Ireland for being in breach of that same directive for consistently polluting our rivers for the past 20 years. This is mostly due to the huge amounts of slurry and nitrates runoff that ultimately ends up on our rivers and lakes causing massive ecological damage.

So, yes, those directives are routinely ignored by Irish governments so we need a strong green voice in there fighting to live up to those commitments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Private road transportation is a bigger offender than flying overall.

"Ryanair" don't just randomly causes emissions the same way that Shell don't. Its cause people are using their product. I have no issue with focusing on air travel, but its ultimately not Ryanair you will be going after, its their customers.

We need a complete cultural change to how we do urban areas in Ireland and one of the biggest blocks to this is NIMBY FF/FG/SF councillors.

Same goes for wind farms.

Yeh, lets get the ordinary person to fight climate change at their expense and give passes to those doing the biggest polluting. The fallacy of Green moralising laid bare.

I see this kind of thing trotted out a lot. It implies that there is some big business out there who is generating all of the emissions and pollution and they are doing it to serve their own ends. This is an extremely popular talking point on the far-left as it absolves the ordinary person in society from their own contribution whilst conveniently having some company as the bogey man. The thing is, it's a lot more complicated than that.

Let's look at who are the biggest generator of emissions in Ireland:

1. Agriculture - 37.5%
    2. Transport - 17.7%
    3. Energy - 16.7%
    4. Residential 11.4%
    5. Manufacturing Combustion - 7.5%

So 66.6% of emissions are being generated by Agriculture, Transport & Residential. There's no way of cutting emissions without annoying a lot of farmers, drivers and people heating their homes - ie pretty much everyone in society. We're all contributing. We all need to make reductions. I know that makes some people irrationally angry but it's the truth. The ordinary person is going to have to do their bit. Can they solve this problem on their own? Of course not. It's a problem that will require collective action though and that means everyone.

There's no magic tax on some faceless corporation that's going to enable a magic wand to be waved that punishes them and allows everyone else to continue on as is - despite what PBP and SF would have people believe.

And if the Greens were in power with a majority they wouldn't take on the chief offenders IMO.

Tokenism is at the heart of what they do and that is why they rile so many.

If challenged they and their supporters try to guilt trip ordinary people trying to get by. Spare me. The electorate will let them know next time out.

Back to the "ordinary people" crap.

IMO FF and FG would break all their green promises with out the Green party support. IMO Sinn Fein are vacant populists who turn on a dime and will go back on all their green policies if they take charge.

The Greens won't do everything but will do way more than the rest on climate issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As a middle-class, middle-aged, public sector, union member I never got the feeling that Labour were looking out for me. Most of the swingeing cuts in T&Cs were under the FF/Green government but not all.

There's an oft-repeated right wing myth that unions chose to throw new recruits under the bus to protect their existing members, that is not the case, the cuts for existing staff and new entrants were imposed not agreed.

I'd say people who are 26-35 at the moment don't really care about what was done circa 2012 tbh when many of them were still in school, to paraphrase the Bill Clinton campaign it's housing, stupid.

In the 80s my parents' generation worried about their own jobs and the prospect of their kids getting jobs, I'm pretty sure that my secondary school-age kids will have good job prospects in time but where the f*ck are they going to live?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Globally, aviation accounts for ~2% of carbon dioxide emissions.

As an island nation we need a strong aviation sector to be competitive.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

The Greens make token changes. Are you seriously telling me anything they have done will arrest climate change on a global scale?

I'm all for making changes in how I live and how others do but not at stringent costs to the individual who may not be in a position to change just yet.

Tackle the main offenders first.

No I'm saying they do more than the other parties.

Your absolutist argument is the same as saying don't vote Sinn Fein because it won't lead to a United Ireland instantly or maybe even in the near future.

They do more token gesturing yes. Loads of guilt tripping but will it have any real effect on climate change. Of course it won't. I think the electorate will give an opinion on that.

No because Sinn Fein are hardline pro EU now because the DUP are hardline anti EU.

The days of Sinn Fein banging on about the unelected bureaucrats has been expunged from history.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’m not sure that Ryanair flights for €30 to European cities (or an hour’s bus ride from a European city) are major contributors to our international competitiveness.

Who are the main offenders Francie? I've given you the statistics in my last post.

Agriculture - 37%. I guess that makes that farmers the main offenders. Is that who we should go after the farmers then? Is that your suggestion?

How about some details rather than some empty phrases that sounds like someone wanting to pass the buck and kick the can down the road.

A party which opposes water charges and carbon tax has zero credibility on the environment.

• Advertisement

'Passing the buck'?

Who is passing the buck? It's you guys who want to talk about other parties not me.

I have been clear. I don't believe we can do much to affect any real difference to climate change. We can do things that give us a nice cozy glow.

I do believe we should do our bit, but that should be via education and mostly voluntary change.

There are bigger offenders that should be tackled first before the individual is penalised. In fact, I think it is hypocrisy and lip service to do anything else.

If farming or Ryanair need reform then do that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

That's Saturday with Colm O Mongain you're referring to and I thought Kieran O Donnell did quite a good job - for once; he's severely inarticulate and lacks fluency but in that particular discussion he at least contributed more than the other two - Bacik and Martin Kenny. The presenter had a bad program - he is normally much better and light years ahead of Katie Hannon. This time he (O Mongain) kept asking O Donnell for the 'evidence' which prompted the Govt to remove the eviction ban; this was an absurd request because everybody knows the number of contested evictions would be nil while the ban was in place and would INCREASE to more than nil when the ban was removed. In other words the question was as stupid as asking, when the ban was introduced, what evidence there was that that would reduce evictions! O Mongain also played a clip where a Sherry Fitzgerald rep gave 3 reasons for evictions, the third being the increased/increasing level of Govt regulation/interferance in the market; he turned to O Donnell at that point and said the Sherry Fitz rep had said nothing about the eviction ban (adding to landlords leaving) when, in fact, that is what she had just said - too much Govt interferance.

Apparently Sinn Fein not alone want the eviction ban extended to Jan 1 (PBP until the 'housing crisis is over') but to have a three year rent freeze and do nothing about the tax treatment of landlords. Kenny and Bacik played the usual game without being closely questioned - the playbook requires one/two three anecdotes about hardship cases (real or imagined) and then a sequence of complaints about the current situation, critiques of Govt policy, what they themselves had suggested months or years ago, platitudes - nothing constructive, something that would make a practical difference.

As for the eviction ban it was a stupid policy in the first place; policy decisions in housing being led by SF are not good; when SF get into power is time enough for their policies to be implemented; it will be mighty interesting to see whether SF have a rent freeze and eviction ban in their election manifesto. There have been 6 or 7 Govt moves in the rental market in the last 3/4 years; landlords are addled and confused and don't trust the State that worse is not being planned. They're leaving in droves while they can.

He sounded to me severely under briefed and hesitant. Not a good interviewee to send out if you want to be or are on the front foot. In fact I think he is sent out because they feel they are on the back foot on an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

But this whole schtick is just a variation of the perfect solution fallacy, Francie.

'Ireland is so small, we couldn't do as much as China.....so we won't bother doing anything'

'The average man on the street can't do as much as a large company.....so we won't bother doing anything'.

It's a total cop out. We certainly can't do much on an individual basis, but enough individuals working together absolutely can make a difference.....and enough individuals claiming that they alone can't fix it all so they can abdicate responsibility is a pretty surefire way to ensure it gets worse.

Sorry, not bothered with anything you have to say past this:

'Ireland is so small, we couldn't do as much as China.....so we won't bother doing anything'

I never once said this. There is loads we can do, education and incentive wise...absolutely loads, that requires work by those paid to deliver.

What we don't need is punitive feel good measures that a politicl party feels it must get to be relevant.

mostly voluntary change

Sorry but that's not going to cut it. Left to their own devices most people (and governments) won't do anywhere near enough. We are in a crisis and everyone just wants to stick their head in the sand and say "Can't someone else do it?"

If farming or Ryanair need reform then do that first.

Ok, that's a start. What reforms do you think? Agriculture is our biggest creator of emissions and the biggest component of their emissions is the methane burped out by ruminants (mostly cows & sheep in Ireland's case). The national herd has exploded in size since milk quotas were abolished in 2014. Should it be reduced?

As for Ryanair. Any taxes or penalties applied to them will just go straight on to ticket prices for the end users. Would you support that?

Sorry, I made comments on the Greens as a political party, not green policy.

Not going there, I thought that would have been clear.

If you think my view is an outlier one, I think you will be surprised when the Greens put themselves forward again.

I don't think your opinion is an outlier. I think it's extremely common in this country. It's certainly far more common than the opinion that we're not collectively doing enough.

One common trope, which you have appear to subscribe to, going by your responses is that the Green Party and their voters are nothing but a bunch of virtue signalers who like to tell others they need to change. The reality is that most Green Party voters are deeply concerned about the direction the planet is going in. They believe that, at the end of the day, if we don't have a habitable planet then everything else is meaningless. If your house is on fire then fixing a broken shelf isn't the main priority.

The thing is though that all of that is happening on the medium to long term scale. That's something that we as humans and especially our politics are not designed to deal with. Planning for the long term is something that it seen as a luxury for many people. I get it. If you're struggling to pay the bills then having some politician tell you that you need to pay more for your tank of diesel or bag of coal is going to make them feel out of touch. At the end of the day though Climate Change is coming for everyone eventually.

As I have stated earlier, I fully expect the the Greens to get clobbered at the next election. That won't mean that they're wrong. It'll just mean that people don't like the message.

I am completely on board with the green (small g) agenda. I have made huge changes in the way I live because I have been educated in these issues by many people.

Isn't it tragic that I wouldn't vote for a Green party candidate in this country if I was paid?

Because I don't believe I am alone as a type, I reckon that is the Green Party's problem, not mine or others.

• Advertisement

So you won't vote for a Green candidate because they are not green enough but you will vote for a party doing less than the Greens.

The truth is that you are just doing the fake concern thing to discredit a party you never had any intention of voting for.

Advertisement