Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi e-tron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,022 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I presume you mean on the return leg you had to stop? That's a 500km round trip right, not many evs would make that, it's all down to how often you need to make a trip like that, not many people do 500km in a day with any regularity.

That's more based on the fact that my first Etron was back with audi a lot, all minor stuff enough but it would have got expensive, I was an early adopter though, the new one has been good as gold so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dublin to cashel is only 170km or so. The Q4 etron 50 would do much more than that.

The 40 minutes to charge is too much I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To those asking, nope, I had to charge on the down leg.

I left Dublin with the default battery conditioning 80% of charge. It displayed 320km of range and had consumed 270km worth in 170km of driving. In other words I had 50km left passing Cashel and so wouldn't have made it to another Ionity station.

default battery conditioning is advised for every day, but its expected that you would charge to 100% for long trips (or just charge to 100% once a week like most people do).

a q4 etron at 100% should easily make it from Dublin to Cork. it has 77kw usable battery, assuming say 27 kwh / 100 km would get you 285km, if its much above that in terms of efficiency it doesnt make much sense (even that seems high id get that in the full fat etron)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Cruise at 125. Climate On. Heated seat on one notch. Android Auto On, Nav and Spotify both running. Outside temp 11C.

It certainly should have made it, but it didn't and those were the conditions. It was a company car that I grabbed so didn't have the opportunity to reset it to 100% charge and had to depart at 80%.

The 125 probably hit the efficiency more than anything, but that being said, I've done dublin to cashel in an Ioniq28 a lot, it's 170km and not an issue at 120. (See the IEVOA 500km rally a few years ago that I won!).

Not doubting you for a second btw, @Larbre34 , merely trying to understand the why, because as others have mentioned, Dublin to Cashel is quite a short stint for that car and it should be capable of making cork. I understand now!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Imagine winning a long distance EV race in a 28kWh car, that was class @ELM327 😎 That race was perfect for Ioniq though, start full, drive to Cashel, charge up from near empty to the max of 94% I presume, about 40 minutes? Then Cork, back to Cashel, another 40 minutes doing the same and straight on to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

I drive limerick to Leopardstown Dublin in my Q4, 210 km journey, even driving around 130km/hr (destination charger in place so don’t need to save watts), consumption is (in worst weather, cold, wind, rain) 29kw/100km , which gives effective range of 260km from 100% to 0% battery,

so after your 170km journey +50km left = 230km range starting out.

80% of 260km = 208km range which was your actual range when leaving Dublin (if your car knew your speed,weather etc)

so all adds up.

Yes, 120km/h GPS speed from Lucan to Cashel, arrived with 5% and the turtle, charged to 94%, on to cork and the turnaround - did a brief 5 min comfort topup on the 50kW there - back to urlingford on the way back and topped up to 85% or so from memory and onwards to lucan. Speed limit (or a bit over) the whole way. The only way to do it, and this was before Ionity was a thing here too.

That's very inefficient, doing the same journey in a model 3 or y you'd be below 200wh/km. Suddenly it's making a bit more sense why the OP had to stop so soon. Thanks for the details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭creedp

If 260km is the range of the Q4 etron 50, does anyone know what is the effective range of the smaller Q4 35? It's a nice looking car but for the price the range must be fairly limited

saying 200km at motorway speeds in cold weather, i find their info relatively accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 schibaxo

hi all, do you have any idea why there are lots of used etrons on sale now? yes, the returning lease cars might be a reason but there is no other EV make / model being on sale this many, is it sth normal? I see the range and problems with the electrical systems and MMI are the main reasons of complaint but apart from that do you think those 2020 and 2021 model etrons will be outdated and lose their value as fast as it's happening now or are they an opportunity to have a premium EV and drive for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Most are UK imports, must be attractive for traders to bring them in. Audi Limerick(Joe Duffy Group) have also brought in a few for used stock. They’re lovely cars but in terms of an EV they’re are probably better options. If you really want one, a 2 year Audi Approved used warranty would be nice to have to avoid potential big bills.

Thanks a lot, makes great sense. I totally agree an Audi approved one would be the best option. I am in between going forward with a brand new Tesla Model Y spending around 50K€ or paying between 50-55K€ for a 2021 used etron. Built quality and comfort of Tesla worries me but I am not sure if the electrical problems and MMI problems with etrons are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Haven't heard of electrical or MMI problems myself. My father has one, a 55 which I drive the odd time. It has a 95kwh battery but has same range as my 58kwh cupra born, about 330kms real world range in normal weather and driving conditions. So it's not efficient as an EV but the big battery makes it usable.

The 50 models have a 71kwh battery so I'd guess absolute max range is about 230kms and this could drop to about 160kms on a cold motorway spin. Just something to be aware of.

Etron mmi issues I haven't heard of or experienced in the two I've owned.

Are you looking at a 50 or a 55, if it's a 50 you need to be realistic about the range and I wouldn't buy one without a 2 year warranty earlier models had some teething issues that seem to be resolved now but youd want a warranty just in case

Thanks so much for your comment. I am looking at a 50, the model year 2021. So the best would be going with Audi Approved to be on the safe side at least for 2 years.

I've read about these MMI issues a lot on Reddit, maybe they were more of a problem with the US cars, I am not sure, but people constantly complain about car play not connecting, setting being reset, and some black screen errors. Seeing a huge number of etrons on sale and UK exporting this much to Ireland made me suspicious to explore if there are some chronic problems.

Thanks so much and yes, that range issue looks like the biggest risk as the range will decrease eventually with usage. Technically, my daily mileage is about 30-50kms so the range will not be a big problem, but in the future, this might affect the resale value considering advancing of the battery technology.

You'll get max 2 years on approved used warranty, and it means you'll pay more for the car probably 10 percent more than the prices you are quoting.

As for the battery degradation I wouldn't worry so much on that, audi built a large buffer in, as long as the range of the 50 works for you and you can charge at home work away, I ran one for 2 years.

• Advertisement

Yes, you're totally right, there's around a %10 extra premium for the cars from main dealers. Not paying that €5k might be an intelligent risk to take for an extra year of warranty. Really appreciated your comments, thanks a lot.

Have to admit they're a tempting buy, there's 2 under 45k on donedeal. A basic enough spec one with low mileage and a really nice looking blue one with about 100k kms on it.

Would you consider a high spec version of an Enyaq ? Interior is very comparable to the Audi and will have better efficiency, range and possibly warranty. Obviously it doesn’t have the premium badge but neither does a Tesla.

yes, absolutely. specs are very similar and mileages are really low. sorry for my ignorance here but which website will be the best to check the number of used etrons and their prices in the UK?

yes actually I am checking them as well, but when I put Enyaq in the shortlist there comes the ID.4 and the decision gets more and more complex :)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

I had a 2021 Q4 etron upto two weeks ago. I looked at the fat etron back in 2021. Got to drive a 55 for a 3 day weekend before i went for the Q4.

The fat etron efficiency is awful in real time. They’re a very heavy car and built like a brick (with similar aerodynamics )

I reckon my Q4 battery degraded by at least 15% over the 2 years of ownership, even though 90% of my charging was done at home.

Very heavy on the juice at motorway speeds in the winter

The Audi tech is just plain awful, with no updates or support. Getting the app to work to do the basics is problematic and patchy . Nav is unusable (thank god for CarPlay even you had to reconnect each tie you started the car).

Comfortable car though especially on long motorway journeys, but glad to get rid of it in the end.

I’m hoping that the tesla wont be as bad to be honest.

dont by the smaller battery ones as they will barely do 200km.

Usedcarsni.com worth a look for cars up north.

If the battery continued to degrade at that rate, you’re looking at a warranty claim if you had kept the Q4.

• Advertisement

The only thing an enyaq and id4 have in common with the Etron is they are electric, completely different segments

Advertisement