Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I wouldn’t go overboard they looked decent but we rolled over for them

thought the treatment of Bennett was shocking Cahill and Beavens obviously encourahed Tipp to target him to put him off his game. Trampish behaviour and shouldn’t be forgotten in May when we meet again

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭conor05

Liam Cahill definitely targeted Stephen Bennett tonight for special treatment at every opportunity to rattle him and it worked.

Jason Forde caused wreck when he came on. But the space had opened up for him in fairness when the spare man.

The speed and intensity was up a few notches tonight and we are getting ever closer to the pitch of championship which isn’t so far away at all.

The Kilkenny match will be tasty enough too I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Based on tonight a 10 pt plus mauling is on the cards for next weekend v Kk in KK……did A Gleeson go off injured, where was C Gleeson, who is Conor Ryan…?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

sending off changed everything . Am still sticking to not judging this team till after the second game in championship a game in cork that we have to win . Am only interested in performances and not that bothered progressing in this league . Having said that some of the decision making out there tonight was baffling over playing the ball and just doing stupid things and some of the shooting was of junior b standard . Getting out muscled continuously is another concern . Championship is around the corner we need the senior players at their best fit and ready to go now . By the way I know maybe not a lot to shout about but again way outnumber by opposition fans at a game , with 3 championship games coming up in Thurles am fearful we will be severely outnumbered time to support the team now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

waterford done a lot of good things tonight when 15v15 , especially run down the through the tipp backs , one flaw is the man on the line ,he had ye over the top tonight in the physical stakes and it worked against ye , when he got the yellow card you could see him tell james owens james you owe us two frees , things like that turn a ref against your team

i hate it personally and did at the time when he was doing the same for us especially 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Final scorelines aside, that's three very poor performances in a row. The first half display tonight was the worst of it all. The team is a mess and Davy has a lot to do to fix this. Just playing well will not get us out of Munster and right now, I can't see us even getting close.

Patrick Fitzgerald's cameo was the only positive feeling I left with.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Just back and a very strange game.

We started well and took an early lead. Could have built a cushion but We then made three mistakes and Tipp had 1-2 on the board. From then on we couldn't win a Puck out and struggled until a brief surge before half time.

One major tactical change after half time was playing Tadhg as a sweeper and even though he wasn't great the system brought us ahead and at that stage it was anyone's game. Tipp then get a goal, Stakelum goads Barron, Barron shoves him, Stakelum strikes him, Barron strikes him back and Stakelum goes down. As others have said Tipp were ready with the dark arts tonight, a number of times they took the Waterford players hurley and flung it away, Austin and Bennett got a lot of verbals and physical attention amongst other issues. We seemed too timid, the only player we have that seems to be able to do likewise wasn't involved tonight.

A couple of sources have said Austin was injured, he did go down after about 5 mins or so but I never saw him leave the field as we were all on the opposite side.

On the day Tipp deservedly won but we missed a lot of chances, 13 wides and at least 3 goal chances lots by a poor pass or a poor touch in front of goal. If this was a championship performance I'd be annoyed but it's still league. Though Tipp showed they're capable of getting out of Munster and more.

Tipp showed they are primed for a run in the league .

Haha, well that anyway. But they have some good players and they look they'll be hard to beat. I think they will be in the three qualifying from Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Surprising to see people whinging about goading etc, Forde got a dose of it from Barron when he came on & manned up to it. Cahill knew what he was doing putting McCormack on Gleeson & he bullied Aussie all night. Cahill has a team with character, not sure what heights they’ll reach but it looks to me that they’ll be hard beaten.

And that Waterford made a major mistake getting rid of him. They should have hoored through last year’s problems & would be the stronger for it. But instead ye have Davy.

So much nonsense in this post I don’t know where to start. Aussie went off with an injury after 20 mins so don’t know how you can say he was bullied ‘all night’. Also it’s well known that Cahill was tapped up by Tipp long before they publicly sacked Bonner so don’t know where Waterford ‘got rid of him’ is about

Surprising to see Tipp show their hand with this dark arts stuff so early in the year it almost felt personal from Cahill after how he finished with Waterford last year . Interesting moment in interview afterwards on TG4 Odomhnaill asked them if they are in danger of peaking too early this year like he did last with Waterford. Cahill smiled (which is rare) and said ‘let’s see how this group of players can handle it in championship’ alluding to the fact it was the players failed and him not other way around

the championship encounter will be Spicey

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

The Tipperary fans were celebrating the final last few mins as if they won the Munster championship at least would ye go way . And no it’s not whinging they were better team out bullied us were up for it way more Cahill again having team primed for league while Waterford with one game to go have hardly shown anything so the result was no shock or anything . As for Waterford clocking is ticking fast and any poor first half and slow start in championship especially that crucial secind game against cork will be terminal . Our bright starts will have to show up one and all seeing the likes of Dessie getting first point in 72 minute won’t cut no mustard . What happened last year has to have a positive reaction from these players we can’t just soley blame the manager . A huge amount is riding on us in this year’s championship a huge amount .

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭portlaoisepal

plant him?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Using horse racing terminology, Waterford could be charged under the ‘non trier’ rule. Basically, it was a leaderless and aimless performance and doesn’t bode well for the championship. I just hope Davy has something up his sleeve but it’s not looking good at this stage.

There were some individual moments to acknowledge ….. Barron, Lyons, Prendergast but overall, it was too disjointed and headless chicken stuff.

Great to see Tadhg play a full game but unfortunately he may not be the force of old.

At least Patrick Fitzgerald avoided the contagion when he came on ; two frees dispatched with the minimum of fuss and a point from play, which might have crept under the bar.

Was Aussie fit from the start ….. did Prunty pick up an injury too.

BTW, what’s the story with the strange shirt numbers ; was it designed to confuse Tipp ; if so, it didn’t work.

You’re nitpicking for answers there. I should have said “bullied him till he went off” or specified I didn’t mean up to 11 last night? Re Cahill Tipp had been approached in the years before the move but he wouldn’t have moved last year if he had the players support. He didn’t.

I have no skin in this game, I found it an enjoyable match & talk of dark arts is nonsense. It’s time to put the big boy pants on. Which of the 2 teams last night has had a man sent off in every League game? Any mistakes Cahill made last year he’ll learn from, he hasn’t won 3 AIs by being a fool. Interpreting comments & suggesting it was almost personal is a bit one-eyed, no? He praised the Waterford players & he wasn’t the one who was booked after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Disappointing performances to date in the league but we know getting out of Munster is our aim.

I think we need to base the teams performances in Munster, that said there are a few concerns with championship just around the corner and my biggest concern is aimless shooting.

Interesting to see a recent interview with Davy prior to the Tipp game where he said

"We are getting a lot of shots off, we're getting off over 40 shots a game, which is massive. We've got to continue to do that. If you do that, you'll be in with a shot of winning most games."

Over 40 shots a game and we have an average score of 1.25 goals and 24.25 points per game, considering three of those games were Dublin, Antrim and Laois, 50ish % conversion rate isn't a good return.

That is my biggest concern, half backs with the ball not seeing anything up top and hitting in hope rather than hitting with conviction.

Hopefully any concerns can be ironed out before the championship, the Kilkenny game should tell a lot with it being so close to championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Ah here, it is common knowledge that Cahill was never going to refuse the job a second time around.

Waterford could have offered him the sun moon and starts and it would not have mattered.

Cahill is a Tipp man, he is quoted saying how he wanted to be manager of Tipp, how hard it was to manage a team against Tipp.

Refusing the Tipp job a second time around would have ensured he would never be offered it again.

We also aren't good at keeping things in house in Waterford and very little came out of last year's saga other than the feeling of been over trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Neither of the 2 teams have had a man sent off in every league game, FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭farmerval

as a Tipp man I thought there were two periods in the game that were significant. For much of the first half Tipp pushed right up on Waterford puckouts and when they went long Waterford couldn't win their own puckout. While this was happening Tipp totally dominated.

When De Burca was sweeping in the second half until the red card, Tipp had no answer to him, Tipp were left with Breen in front of goal, completely idle. The big thing was in this period Waterford created two or three goal chances and several point chances. Tipp couldn't handle Waterfords pace when they were playing through the lines. The red card meant Tipp could push up on De Burca and Waterford couldn't build from the back.

How will Desssie Hutchinson fare under Davy? Hutchinson's game has been early low ball in front of him, turn his man and score. Waterford weren't playing that kind of a game last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

After last year , we were looking forward to at least beating kerry. So to get us back to something like intercounty standard is delightful for us

Really? There was no story behind players being dropped for the last match? I’m afraid that wasn’t kept in house & as they say no matter how thin the pancake there are 2 sides. If they had worked through all that they’d be stronger for it

I take your point re Cahill wanting to return but Waterford should have put in a big effort to keep him & they didn’t. Taking back Fitzgerald is nuts. Cork appointed Pat Ryan who is no big name…they’d never go near Davy. Surely has to be some decent up & coming manager material in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not really much in the way of internal manager options in Waterford bar Darragh O'Sullivan with Ballygunner who has unfinished business there.

Pat Ryan has success at club and county U20/21 grade so he was a logical choice for Cork.

We saw what happened last time we appointed an internal candidate who didn't have the track record for the job and it wasn't pretty. While I'm not a big fan of Davy there probably wasn't too many other options for Waterford county board

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I wouldn't be a Davy fan but still think he was a good appointment for Waterford. I wouldn't be panicking yet after last night but for me the big issue as I've stated here before is your full back line, I know there were new players played last night which is good as ye need to try something different if they prove they're up to it I see no reason why ye can't be one of the 3. ye have a few rolls Royce hurlers that if on form can win matches on their own. ye know who I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Yeah the Tipp half back line dominated the first half. It looked like Waterford were going through the gears in the second half but I think Tipp were getting back on top before the red card.

Which of the two teams has had a man sent off in every game? I've a feeling I can sense some backtracking coming.

its hardly the time to be debating whether Davy Fitz is the right man at this stage he’s there now there’s a summer of hurling to be played yet let’s judge when the season is over

comparing with cork is apples and oranges there’s a young team to develop and there’s probably 2/3 years of building under Ryan. The age profile of the Waterford team is different the core group eg Gleeson Barron, De But are hitting the 30 mark success needs to be instant there’s no time to blood a new young manager to find his feet. We’ve had that with Cahill it’s a job for someone experience that has a track record of success and for that reason I’m prepared to tolerate Fitzgerald

I also have no idea what you're on about saying that "talk of dark arts is nonsense". Are you suggesting it didn't happen or that they don't exist? Either view is rubbish.

The majority on here (including you actually) have acknowledged that Tipp were way more up for a fight and they manhandled, dunted, goaded and pulled hurleys and threw them away. Has anyone criticised them for it because if they have I missed it. The only actions I had an issue with were those of Stakelum who started the incident with Barron and went down easier than he should have, Barron stayed up after Stakelum struck him. I didn't see the Breen incident as it was on the far side but anything else I saw was Tipp getting to a level that we didn't but shouldn't lack motivation for come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,550 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Prunty and gleeson out 3-6 weeks with hamstring injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Looks like Kilkenny are well on the way to beating Dublin. That means Waterford will qualify for League semi final if they beat Kilkenny next Sunday but that's a big IF. Might be better off not being involved.

Advertisement