Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Lineker, BBC and Freedom of Speech - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I read what you said the first time.

You said the following

"I do not think she is a Nazi (I'd go so far as saying she definitely isn't fascist)"

Then you said this....a few minutes later.

"acting in similar ways to germany in the 30's."

These are direct quotes from you.

That is all over the place. And you have the cheek to call others dumb ("they are extremely dumb and stupid,"...your words)

You think a county in crisis should entertain further immigration. Do I need to spell out how farcical that is?

And you are taking the side of a media pundit who is currently in a legal process to reduce his tax liability to the very state he is admonishing.

It must be hard being that deluded to be fair, but you are consistent, I'll give you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

What about when part of the crisis is a shortage of workers, both skilled and unskilled? Is that still farcical?

(Now quickly, crack that 'joke' about refugees being doctors and scientists, it gets funnier every time it's told.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That is a downright bizarre take by Dunphy. Even many Lineker critics have not accused him of attention seeking or grandstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Spectacular fail by the BBC

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

All the polling shows that the Brits are majorly pissed off about these boats and want them stopped, zero to do with the Tories, Sunak would ignore this is he could.

The public anger has been engineered to be that way as it suits the narrative. How else should immigrants arrive?

Not suprising Joe Soap is pissed off when 100 per cent of these bucks are "seeking asylum" from the war torn human rights void, that is....France.

They are nit from France and as per international laws in relation to asylum, they can move through a safe country to get to another and there can be various reasons why they would want to do so.

Someone arriving on the shores of Britain from XYZ country isn't an illegal immigrant, no matter how they travel. They are only deemed to be there legally or not once they have been processed by immigration. To label people travelling as illegal is intentionally inflammatory.

How does someone seeking asylum travel to Britain legally in your view?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It's not that bizarre really. The function of Twitter other than providing information (which he wasn't) is seeking attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

The BBC is hardly a beacon of free speech....

They have a pro multiculturalism/ immigration bias.. just like RTE etc.

Anyone that works at the BBC basically has to follow the party line that multiculturalism and immigration is awesome. Has anyone watched the BBC and seen a programme that discusses the negatives of immigration?

I think Gary should be allowed to express his opinions. However, at the same time people should be allowed to discuss the negatives of immigration honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Similar =\= Same. In fact it means different but with common characteristics

Then they shouldn't have to arrive in dingys, the could enter the legal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As no doubt has been said, Freedom of speech does NOT mean Freedom from consequences. One should not be expected to spout threats, hate or known lies without expecting fallout/ramifications.

However this reaction from the BBC, IMHO is disturbing. Linekar is entitled to his opinion. He did not state this as a member of MoTD or as a representative of the BBC or anything (as we know, he is not). He voiced this as Gary Linekar. At most, the BBC should have said something like "These are his opinions and we neither condone nor condem them". Right or wrong, it really does smack of the national broadcaster not being independent but instead towing the government line. In fairness to BBC News website, they seem to be handling this with impartiality. The BBC is one of the most respected broadcasting and news services in the world (Despite the thoughts of a former US president) and this, yeah, is a really bad look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah yes, the notion that the public must have been manipulated when they believe something that you don't. A classic

These boat boyos most certainly have arrived illegally, what you are refering to is if there are extenuatiing circumstances which may allow for their illegal arrival. Given the amount these bucks who are adjudged to have genuine cause for asylium I have no problem calling them what they are, illegal immigrants

There is a concerted PR effort from the NGO sector and media to abolish the use of the term, despite its accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

He’s been seen as attention seeking going back years. He is well known for gaffs with his commentary. He relentlessly comes out with woke stuff that he thinks the public wants to hear and laps up the praise when it comes, although it backfires sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Here's a wild and controversial Post.

A link to the UK.gov website with the bill for some context for it's actual wording which according to Gary Lineker is not unlike language that would have been used in Germany during the 1930's (the subtext there folks being that it's comparable to the Nazis).

I've had a look at it myself and I'm having a bit of trouble finding this Nazi-esque language, perhaps someone could find it and point it out for the sake of clarity.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I wonder if he'd agreed with Government policy would would the BBC have had an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The BBC didn't have an issue until the Government put pressure on their "inside guy".

Then there were all sorts of issues.

Refill the popcorn on this one. Lineker isn't budging, which means someone else will have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lineker also has the support of pretty much the entire sporting department - he doesn't need to do anything. I believe it's an international weekend next, so it'll be interesting to see if the commentary teams continue the boycott or whether everything goes back to normal.

There was an interesting question posed on the BBC's on website: if Lineker had come out and say that he totally agreed with the policy and that it was great, would he still have been suspended? Needless to say, it didn't get a direct answer.

Interview here: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64918162

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Lineker and Co will be back in the next few weeks and the BBC will have a top employee sacked. Its inevitable.

Massive own goal, and pretty funny.

I can't be sure, but it was his comparison to the Nazis in the 30s is the issue. He's a professional he should know better. I know it's popular, in particular on here, to call people who don't agree with you a fascist but a grown man who works in the public broadcaster should know better, but I've already said, there is a rot in management in the BBC, that much is abundantly clear, they now have a major headache now all of their own making. It's actually hilarious to watch...as the lads here keep saying, grab the popcorn, this one is going to be good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Xander10

It's actually an FA Cup weekend with the BBC scheduled to broadcast to live games

In the interview I linked to. The guy repeatedly said that it was a lack of impartiality that was the issue.

• Advertisement

Gives them even more reason to sort it out quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lineker also has the support of pretty much the entire sporting department

All sporting departments, not just the BBC.

But the big one is the union support. Including the the national union of journalists who are actually striking this week I think.

This hasn't even begun to escalate yet, I predict a lot more broadcasting of reruns over the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Surely that would be just another own goal

Lineker might jump ship at some stage I reckon and maybe bring a few with him

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah. He could walk into a well paid job with Sky.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yet they have stated in 2018 the social media rules dont apply to him

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There is a podcast called "the newsagents" with three ex BBC news journalists, Emily Matliss, john Soffel and Lewis Goodall. It's very good but they had an interesting article on this story and the whole idea of BBC impartiality earlier in the week. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It would be interesting to see the background of the people who make up the 'impartiality panel' (or committee or whatever) that decided Lineker had crossed this line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He could for sure, but he would have to work for his money at Sky - such as travelling to multiple games a week, doing live games unscripted, and doing some of his own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Given he has does euros, world cups and the fa cup I doubt doing something live and unscripted would be that big of a challenge to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

The issue here really is the reactionary rights inability to deal with anyone have the temerity to question their policies

Advertisement