Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I make a living off the farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about splitting things up a bit.

Could you rent out 70-80 acres, this might get you in a guaranteed €35k maybe more depending on the area. Put a good floor under you

hold back a wee bit of land to farm part time. Change your job or go part time or as some have suggested contract milking etc.

you’d have your income up to €45-50k which would be into modern living standards and you might enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I would recommend you look into holistic management from the savoury institute.

They will give you some of the best advice on what you want to.

But The fact you ain’t farming full time already on 100 acres in your mid thirties should tell you enough about the margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

If you don't know what you're talking about, keep your critiques to yourself.

Losing money farming sheep and beef is easy, and everybody is doing it.

There's a bad smell off horticulture for most Irish peasants since the famine, everybody wants to be a big rancher.

My advice is sound and it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm only asking so don't ate me!....

You mentioned 20hrs a week and 50k, sounds good to me but are there any catches?

Who is buying the salad leaves? How do you develop a market, is there really only 20 hrs labour in producing 50k worth of it etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

ohhhh touchy touchy.

i have no doubt 50k and acre is achievable from an established operator. To think a lad can switch and magic up 50 from 20hours is fancifully I think, and we are all allowed an opinion.

I assume you have a few acres in horticulture yourself making the big bucks. Congrats.

• Advertisement

wfh is good alright for a farmer

If you could get a good contract rate over 50 an hour in a 3 day week it would be good. You would be made do four days in three like you say but if you were contracting you’d get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

There was a farming programme on TG4 recently ( all women farmers) and a fairly big organic veg grower on it was saying they made little or nothing last couple of years

To the OP can you leave your job now for a few years while no chlildren and try it out and go back later? What about agri contractors in your area ( work is seasonal but might work in with certain types of farming. The money in organics ( subs ) means it needs serious consideration. If you are into marketing your own produce there may be options but a lot of off farm work in selling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Article here about the last scallion grower in Ireland. The rest packed it in. He farms about 400 acres a year. He might not get the same economies of scale with 1 acre though.

Same man here in a FJ article where he mentions that the only way in horticulture is to go big or get out

If you want to try to make small work, you have to go niche. Even then you take a big gamble. The most recent example is of people who spent loads of money and were promised returns on snails ended up selling at about half the cost of production. If you think monopolies in beef with the like of ABP are bad....wait til you start into veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not say everyone farming cattle and sheep are losing money. I am doing all right at the beef thanks.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

We will all have our own blinkered view on this scenario and a lot may depend on the OP's current occupation and that of their spouses if any. Interestingly the OP has only one post on Boards.ie ever so not sure if they intend on coming back anyway.

Through some good/and bad luck I've landed in my current situation which is part time farming and a very flexible WFH role where I am contracted to do 20 hours a week but can do 40+ if I want too and can more or less pick the hours to suit my schedule.

I did take a redundancy package after working with a multinational for 17 years which helped reduce the mortgage and with no more requirement for childcare, I was able to take a year and a half off of the day job, which was OK and we were managing as she has a good income but it was a bit more of a struggle than we'd like. In the same year my youngest daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy and had been hospitalized 5 times, for me it was a blessing that I was home full time as my previous field service career often had me traveling long distances from home so for this reason I had already decided I'd never go back to a 9-5 role with any kind of commute. Just before Christmas I started in my new role which is agri software related which keeps me at home and the little one's school is literally next door so if she has any episodes I'm only 1 min away. Her condition is much more under control now with medication so now we are a bit more relaxed and I have a much better handle on both family and farm life and much more time to appreciate and enjoy both.

If I have any advice for someone in the OP's position it's, life is too short and precious to waste it in a day job that you are sick of but it does not need to be an all or nothing situation either, with a little compromise you may have a far better quality of life even if you are not making the maximum possible income, also considering the costs of going to work with childcare/travel etc, it may not be that much more lucrative anyway.

Post edited by emaherx on

• Advertisement

Who is touchy now!

You won't "magic up" money in anything, fancifully or otherwise, and 50k isn't big bucks by anyone's reckoning, just an honest living.

I'm not growing commercially, but I fully intend starting up with my children in the next few years. Thankfully I know a few successful operators whose brains I can pick, but that's the same as anything.

Not directed at you obviously.

Salad leaves a have a short shelf life, and so there is an Irish Market for Irish produce through the regular retail market. There's a lot of low quality imports.

The day to day labour isn't massive.

Yep, a few I know have gotten out of the veg for those reasons, it's a rotten system

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

Keep the minimum amount of cattle for the grants and bale the 100 acres for organic hay and silage.

Tough to get a better Profit/Loss than that.

That is a one or two hit wonder. You will strip your farm of P&K in a few years. Not as fast as silage but fast enough. With organics you have no way of replacing that P&K

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

On the general theme of taking a chance and quitting the day job - if you really want to do something, then you will find a way to get there. May mean sacrifice and hard work but having the heart in an enterprise is critical. Just try and avoid debt and putting yourself under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Just on that point you can import slurry from any cattle/dairy farm up to your nitrate limit in Organics so should be possible to keep P and K up.

Did not know that but getting slurry is not cheap. If you were near a pig farm yes but most other lads use up there own.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

There’s lots of overstocked dairy farmers desperate to deliver slurry to anyone who is willing to take it for free around here.

Organic farmers aren’t allowed to import pig slurry unless it’s from some kind of free range pig farm afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Looked at going into organic scheme and even with vast majority of my land index 3/4 could import decent amount of slurry.Any maps given here I expect the slurry spread for me.

Bit of careful soil sampling would give you massive scope for slurry import

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭older by the day

I might as well have a go at being a life coach.

Why are you getting sick of your job? Will you get sick of being at home full time as well? Talking to the dog. Your 36 not 86.

What would you like to do. At the end of the day it's up to yourself. No doubt you could fill your days at home. But it's better for a guy to be under a bit of pressure and better for time management.

No reason you can't get a part time job that you may like and have time to farm.

"Everything is transient" was the advice when I had a supervisor who was at me long go. And sure enough he moved on and I loved the job till I got redundancy. So sometimes you have to bull on through

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bad Chemicals

@Castlekeeper or anyone else with insight into this. I'm in a similar position to the OP on this thread and am interested in horticulture.

Do you have a successful setup Castlekeeper? Is it salad leaves you're doing? Did you struggle to market it / find buyers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭older by the day

If you like horticulture, have a crack at it. Try and sell at country markets and fairs. Start small, hobby at first. A bit of a sideline. You will know after a year or two if it's suits you.

A man near me, by the sea, grows an acre of early potatoes and sells them in the local supervalu. They are always sold out. You really need to find a niche, and sell when things are scarce. Don't try and play with the big boys

Not here, kitchen garden only is my limit. I've a contact doing well at it I'll DM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KingPanko

Great thread.

I think more of us should be be thinking outside the box to try to make a living from farming instead of doing the same thing year after year and expecting different results. As a country we import most of what we eat other than meat and dairy. I know grass is what grows the best but there most be a local market for all kinds of other things. As somebody else said start small and see how you get on growing and selling produce.

Be warned of a business plan that sounds too easy to be true, then it probably is too good to be true. Nothing is easy but that doesn't mean you should avoid it

Post edited by KingPanko on

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KingPanko

You have been farming for 4 years you should have enough info to do homework and understand your costs and margins. If you continue with beef my recommendation is know your costs inside out, before you buy stock project forward your costs and return through to finishing including all costs from feed, to fixed costs like insurance to your own labour and make sure you can expect a profit. The risk is that you don't know what prices will be but you need to make the best stab at it, some times prices will go your way and some times they will move against you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Fully mad to even consider.... No two years the same and even when they are better coin to be earned outside farming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Meh, I've made better coin outside farming, but I'm happier less stressed and not sitting in traffic hours a day by depending more on the farm for income.

I still depend on some off farm income but reduced hours and working from home and still agri related. Also reduced expenses with childcare and car upkeep I'm not much worse off anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Life would be very easy if you only needed money to be happy

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Very hard live a happy life if you don't have enough money to live either..Alot of people look at income the wrong way around IMHO,Work out how much you need per week,month or year and see if you income source can provide it on its current input and output costings. Also allocate a fixed amount for investment every year also (usually works out at a minimum of €100 per acre minimum as a ball

Advertisement