Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Eviction ban would have prevented thousands of properties hitting the market over the last while. Should pick up again in April you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

1 Because with cost of funding increasing, competition will be eying those deposits. Trade Republic are offering 2% on demand savings to Irish savers. 100k guarantee applies.

2 up to 5% return available on short term state backed US bonds. The dollar exposure is worth the risk as a recession would strengthen the dollar v euro. You get the yield and currency gain. Bit of a no brainer in current environment

Ref long term bonds, agree a little more risky, but with risk comes a much greater potential return as the bonds you hold increase in value in a large scale switch. That large scale swith is beginning though so caution advised. Much better to catch the start of a trend than the end

Potential return

Yield plus capital appreciation plus favourable exchange rate

Short term US bonds are a no brainer. Go long term for a greater return with a bit of calculated risk. Better than investing in property or stocks right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Government committed to buying 1500 of those so they won't be hitting the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I don't disagree there, but I have an issue with these sentences:

"I think the states interests are fairly transparent. They want as many people in secure housing as possible before the next election."

It may seem pedantic, but I think that we need to not conflate the words "state" and "government". Governments comprise politicians, and these people come and go. The state is something far larger; it's the government, the bureaucracy and all that goes with it. The state does not change with election cycles, and no senior civil servant is worried about losing his or her job because the public are unhappy.

This is largely why I for one have no faith that voting for one party of the other will resolve the housing situation. The state as a whole has created this crisis, it perpetuates it, and it seems to have no interest in doing anything other than pumping money into the market or driving up demand in other ways. At the this stage, we need some sort of black swan event that will knock the stuffing out of the whole thing, but I don't know what that could be.

You'd indulge me some dramatic language on a Sunday morning I hope: may God have mercy on us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Yeah. Fair point. Also not sure how it all plays out in the end.

Feels like the least painful way out for the government and society as a whole is a continuation of what we have seen over the last 6 months.

Softening of material costs, allowing for a reduction in prices of new builds with builders still making profit, a slow meandering downward of second hand prices all set against decent wage inflation.

Two or 3 years of price reductions of c.5% per annum with wage inflation of +3/4% could transform affordability without killing badly needed supply and creating mass negative equity issues like we had in 2009. Can’t see it playing out that way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

"Market analysts are projecting that commercial property values across retail, industrial, logistics, office and residential units will fall between 10 and 20 per cent this year.

the expected downturn in commercial property means between €5 and €10 billion could be wiped off the overall value of the market in 2023."

follow on from last week's irish life property fund stopping withdrawals

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

If county councils , the government and approved housing bodies are going to be buying up second hand houses and apartments how are private buyers going to buy somewhere to live?

Won't that push prices up even further as the supply is being reduced for the private buying market?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Do county councils generally buy housing on the more 'entry level' pricing? Say upwards of 400k, or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Suppose it depends on budget and the specific council area. I read somewhere a few months back where a council paid over 20m for a whole estate in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Anyone looking for some detail on what happend to SVB and also what ripple effects it may have, here is a good vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7C9oXK0-70&t=1363

I follow this guy on YouTube. I always feel like he gives an unbiased view. Please don't try and convince me otherwise like the newspapers I read 😅

• Advertisement

Interesting to see US has decided not to bailout SV Bank many startups and investors in tech sector rattled by collapse of the bank

Yellen: No Federal Bailout for Collapsed Silicon Valley Bank

Silicon Valley Bank is the nation’s 16th-largest bank. It was the second biggest bank failure in U.S. history after the collapse of Washington Mutual in 2008.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2023-03-12/yellen-says-no-federal-bailout-for-silicon-valley-bank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I've no love for SF/AAA/PBP/etc but maybe a government of that ilk crashing the entire economy and the IMF coming back to town again might be that black swan event. It is crazy-stupid idea that is unlikley to work but it still seems to be a better bet than another round of FF/FG who certainly won't solve the problem.

At this stage the real question is already "what supply".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It doesn't really matter, the local authorities pay the asking price - and arguably more in a lot of cases.

They're buying a mix of all types of units in existing estates and apartment complexes.

I've a feeling Ffg might crash the economy before anyone else gets a chance

Latest on actual new builds making it to market for purchase

In 2017, 7,312 houses came to the market out of 14,338 built, coming to 51% of the total number of properties built that year in the State; as of last year that figure had dropped to 28.7% of homes going to market out of 29,851 built – making that 8,590 properties in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Anecdotal but an in law is selling a property in Wicklow and the asking is 460k. Highest bid was 430k. Suddenly the concil swooped in with a bid of 460k and its gone sale agreed. No accountability for public funds, why not offer 435k and see what happens. All those 30k differences will add up over time across the country, but sure its only public money so why would anyone in the council care. So much for the market setting the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

The electorate thinking "I have no stake in this game, so let's burn it down" is a dice roll that produced Trump and Brexit and is a sign of a successful disinformation campaign. Thankfully, I think our PR system insulates us somewhat from this kind of action. I also believe no referendum should be taken without a citizens assembly being run to completion.

While FG/FF are compelled to continue the system as it is, I don't think a black swan event would help - they are generally bad for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

One of the best tricks when buying is a killer bid it's often cheaper than bidding in steps.

An ordinary buyer will seldom counter bid to a killer bid but if you came in 5k above they might follow you for another 50 k. It also stops the temptation of owners to counter bid the property up.

The LA come in with one bid if anyone beats it they buy it

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What's worse is the fact that many of these properties acquired by local authorities remain vacant for months on end due to outstanding internal administrative work not being completed.

It's particularly obvious in new build estates. The Part V allocations end up only moving in upwards to a year after the rest of the phase has moved in. It's a bit of a joke given we're in the midst of a housing crisis.

Where is the disinformation, the State is effectively raiding peoples wages and using it to outbid them in their efforts to secure a home for their families, effectively driving prices and rents up and making the problem worse.

It's that simple, the government is the problem and the only way to stop this is to cut the money supply to the fools/gangsters because they will not stop.

Why can't they use that raided money to increase supply rather than price

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Someone on this forum said they got offered 10% over the then current bid from the Council. Then another bidder outbid that and the Council jumped another 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

I agree with you - but the IMF coming to town again is not the kind of black swan event I would be in favour of.

Austerity didn't do me any favours.

What's your three point plan to solve the housing crisis in five years or less?

Trump and Brexit came about because the "mainstream" were taking the p!ss. I think Ireland has come to the point where burn-the-system is now real thinking, with STV merely delaying things compared to FPTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Another bank bailout in the us.

summary: you’re mad selling property for cash. Same will happen in EU with endless funding for “green issues”. Anyone believing a word powell/lagarde says is an idiot

“Translation: the Fed's hiking cycle is dead and buried, and here comes the next round of massive liquidity injections. It also means that the Fed, Treasury and FDIC have just experienced the most devastating humiliation in recent history - just 4 days ago Powell was telling Congress he could hike 50bps and here we are now using taxpayer funds to bail out banks that have collapsed because they couldn't even handle 4.75% and somehow the Fed has no idea!”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

That's a fair point. Honestly, there is little difference overall between FF/FG and the other side. SF would do nothing to address immigration, but they would probably be more gung-ho about trying to expropriate private property.

Whatever happens, we may be assured that it will be an outside force that brings this disaster to an end. Sadly though, I think that too much damage has already been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

For a large percentage/majority of people in Ireland, things are not that bad. Why would middle aged/older people who own their homes, or younger people with well paying jobs who have just bought their homes want to burn the system? SF may be popular with in the polls, will they have a majority of TDs after the next election? I very much doubt it. When voters start hearing about changes that can affect their property ownership, raise their taxes etc, then only those with nothing to lose can be counted on to support them.

many like the idea of change but increased taxes ..... not so much

• Advertisement

Can you see the pyramid scheme in your post. Remove blinkers and look closely

Look back in history, How would things pan out if the madness stopped in 02/03

Advertisement