Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Meter relocation

Options
  • 15-01-2023 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is it possible to have our smart meter moved outside to the ESB cabinet, also why did they leave the old meter there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Presume the meter inside is prepay power or the like so that's probably where it has to go

Looks like the installer didn't even put cover back correctly on board , seen some dodgy work from prepay power installers

Doesn't seem to be any regulations on height either for these installers

Does the customer have to stand on a chair or are these meters operated remotely by card payment or what ?

The cable they use works loose easy enough in clamp terminals seemed to be the issue

Terminals not tightened sufficiently either

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shadow_2003

Gonna have the whole distribution board replaced soon with a Schneider Full RCBO board. Current Board is a pile of dodgy crap.

I’ll enquire with them about having the pay as you go meter relocated because it’s in a very awkward position atm.

You'll probably have a bit of work

Rec will want to drop board to regulation height plus other work

That's 2.25m to the top of the top row of breakers afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭JL spark

Ya I got the height confused with the old rule

Wonder what the crack is with the meter installer jamming it up to the ceiling , dunno does the customer need to operate it or not

Shouldn't be allowed if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

It’s not a requirement to drop the distribution board to the regulation height if replacing an existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭JL spark

So, Just spoke with a few friends who are sparkies

every single one of them said to get rid of pay as you go all together, actually cheaper to just stay on direct debit

So that resolves that issue, now the meter in the ESB cabinet…doesn’t look like one of ESB’s smart meters, should I request for it to be upgraded?

• Advertisement

I agree. Get rid of pay as you go

that meter was probably installed by Esb to facilitate payments by previous owners. You can request a smart meter installation

Quick update: Had the pay as you go meter removed and upgraded to a schneider full RCBO board.

Tidy wiring , that's a good sign

The main boards have improved a lot lately

Agree with Kirk. That’s a tidy job

love to see rcbo’s but I’m surprised there’s one on the cooker(it’s not a problem but leads to nuisance tripping)

there’s no sign of new cables for earth rod or equipotential bonding (gas & hot water cylinder etc)

it’s hard to tell if existing mains cables are 16mm also

the cable for the neutral link look’s undersized too

did you get a certificate and test records

Looks like he's just done a straight swop there

Needs a main overcurrent protective device fitted upstream of that board .Somehow i doubt it's been fitted

On the cooking they've been using 30ma protection going back a good bit on UK boards . Ovens are fine but I did wonder about the hobs myself

Post edited by kirk. on

Yeah but it’s not permitted to replace the db without upgrading the mains and earthing

if the mains cables are upgraded then a ocpd is required if the distance to db is over 2 mts.

I thought that was only a DP main isolator there in which case you would have to have a separate MOPD regardless of tails length

If it's a DP MCB my bad

You could be right. It’s hard to make out from photos

Ya i'm not sure myself . I'd hazard a guess it's an isolator

As you know yourself there has to be main overcurrent protection somewhere between Meter and Final Circuits regardless of distance.

Yeah. You’re right.it looks like a dp isolator so no ocpd fitted (unless it’s at the meter)which as you’ve said is unlikely.

perhaps the op will confirm.either way there’s a few things to finish off to comply with regulations

• Advertisement

Really can't see the point of leaving those boards at the old height there when changing

Ya could have more troubleshooting down the line with all rcbos on the old wiring

It's really only half a job imo , but rules are rules

Advertisement