Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Simon Harris told reporters after the ceremony: “Today is a sharp reminder of how our country is all the richer for the diversity"

Well, another "sharp reminder" was the new Garda station he had to open in O'Connell St earlier that day. North inner city is now completely crime-ridden and overwhelmed with refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

As much as I dislike the abuse of refugee policies in Ireland, the crime problem is not caused by them.

Put up the stats or shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

"All the richer for diversity"? I honestly hate politicians for their lying.

Being objective, a lot of immigration makes Ireland poorer. There's no way that someone that doesnt speak English or have an education is going to make Ireland richer. Yeah, some immigrants will make get good jobs and start businesses which employ people. However the average asylum seeker in Ireland really doesnt have that much to offer....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

There's also the intangible factors like the ever-growing number of minority groups who prioritise themselves and their interests over the native population. It's not something we've had to deal with before with the relatively homogenous population we had post-Independence, and there's a refusal to even acknowledge it might exist. Take this for example:

This is a feelgood story but when you look a bit closer, you see that the girls benefited from funding and mentoring from a group which is only interested in helping people from an ethnic minority background. Not Irish girls. And it doesn't take class into consideration at all. Quote below:

"When Nomayo realized she was often the only female or person of color in her classes, the obvious imbalance troubled her. So with the goal of bringing more girls and people of color into that space, she founded Phase Innovate, whose mission is to mentor and train underrepresented minorities in the fields of tech and business."

First of all, why wouldn't you be a tiny minority in a white European country? That in itself isn't some terrible injustice, it's just a fact. Being a minority does not make you automatically oppressed, in fact Nigerians in Ireland tend to be a very wealthy subset of their own population. But the question has to be asked: how does this make Ireland richer for diversity if some groups have no interest in "Ireland" and only want to help themselves? Because that's what's evident to people who unlike Simon Harris, actually live in "diverse" areas and see this playing out. I've mentioned this on a previous post but I find it really striking when I look at local volunteer groups who look after local heritage, litter-picking, community fundraising etc - they are exclusively native Irish. For whatever reason, our "new Irish" are not engaging with the place they've made home, they're not interested in anything outside themselves. It would help if our government did not funnel endless resources to NGOs which encourage this Balkanisation in communities, but they seem to have adopted a depressingly American approach. You could probably say it's human nature that people will look out for their own, but shouldn't we be trying to mitigate this if we want a cohesive society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Whats this garbage?

I said give me some stats on how refugees are causing a crime wave in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Do the people who get citizenship at these events pay for it or is it free.

If they pay then fair enough but no way should it be given away for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Just over the grand all in and not a bother then to travel back to the country that some have fled for their lives for a holiday on an irish passport, money well spent sure.

If I bought a Ferrari badge and put it on my Ford Fiesta would it mean I had a Ferrari?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The article above is well written. But for those not paying attention or unable to read between the lines, the govt is enacting a soft policy on this.

Essentially those long term loitering within the asylum system and "single" are being asked to move out into tents and free up accomodation.

You might interpret that as a need to free up scarce accomodations for genuine cases.

The 52 lads that have been asked to move will now move in with friends or single mothers they are riding, in order to free up the space for more pressing people arriving here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The IT reports that 20000 asylum seekers now being accommodated by State. And the government's response?:

“The Government recently announced plans to develop three accommodation centres on State land, with the potential to provide 400 beds

That's not 4000 (which would be bad enough), but 400. Why do they continue with this insanity when they simply don't have the resources? Hotels were never designed for full-time residence, and it's laughable that the government are now blaming hotels for price-gouging. Well, when so many hotel beds in the country are taken up by asylum seekers, what exactly did they expect to happen hotel prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

An absolutely excellent post. I feel the same. On a human level most of these people are probably sound as I am sure she is from what I see if her.

However, although it feels great to support people like her immigrating, and not only does it feel good to wave the flag of diversity but it aligns with the supportive media, we have a problem firstly financing all this and secondly integrating and changing the type of society we have.

These things are ignored. And asking about them is like bringing up the deceased's bad deeds at the funeral, ruining the buzz basically

1000 euro to get an irish passport is a bargain.... they get the passport then get access to all the free stuff from the irish taxpayer...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The days of "native" populations are long gone. They only ever existed in the past because it was very difficult to move around or from country to country - people often didn't even move away from the village or town or townland where they grew up. These days it is possible to fly to the opposite side of the world in less than 24 hours.

Everything has moved on. The very nature of the modern world is that it is much more mobile than at any point in its history - migration, immigration and emigration will be the absolute norm from now on. Homogenous societies where everyone is the same colour, the same religion, the same nationality and speak with the same accent are little more than a historical statistic at this point, particularly in any of the developed countries. The anti-refugee guys cannot accept this of course and are still stuck in the Ireland of the 1940s and 1950s (ironically, a place that was dark and depressing and inward looking and far from a utopia).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It’s quite entertaining consistently deconstructing this nonsense.

Let’s begin with the quotes around ‘native’ populations, with the inference being that this is an ill-defined, intangible concept. Previously, this tactic was applied to ‘legal’ immigrants. It’s now been crudely transposed to native, indigenous populations.

Unfortunately for you, native populations are far from being displaced, even across the developed world. I had the pleasure of engaging in some business travel in Czechia, Poland, and the Slovak republic last autumn. It was refreshing to spend time in European countries secure in their identities with vibrant indigenous cultures. I suggest you avoid at all costs, given that the local populations overwhelmingly shared a common nationality, religion (or none), and indeed ‘colour’. Interesting that this adjective was inserted into the narrative. Perhaps a Freudian slip, but certainly indicative of the mindset in play here.

Let’s move on to the advanced economies of East Asia. China is more than 90% Han Chinese; Japan is 97% Japanese; Korea is similarly Korean. Those native populations are far from being displaced. Much closer to home, there are scores of towns within 20 miles of Dublin city center, overwhelmingly populated by the native, indigenous Irish. Even within Dublin, there is a plethora of suburbs, particularly in the more affluent South East and North East of the city, that are remarkably indigenous.

These are all living, cohesive communities that are far from an historical statistic. Whilst we’re discussing statistics, the data also shows that indigenous, yes native European populations, are utterly opposed to the demographic overhaul of their societies. Whilst the world may be more mobile, the push-back by the indigenous is only just starting to ramp up.

This is something that the open border fanatics fail to comprehend, given that their ideology is grounded on a decades-old principle that all immigration is unquestionably positive. It really threatens their worldview, when the native populations advocate for their own interests and reject their ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

This sounds like the utopian "end of history" idea, that Ronan McCrea of University College London writing in the Irish Times recently, claimed Ireland was the outlier for still buying into.

Ireland had moved from being the outlier in terms of its illiberal conservatism to being the outlier as the only remaining example of a place where, to use the term popularised by political scientist Francis Fukuyama in his 1992 book, history had “ended” and a paradigm based on globalism, capitalism and liberalism had seen off all challengers.

He argues that Ireland, being late to modernize, embraced this liberal idea to the extreme, even as other countries had begun to question it and reject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Globally it is. Most non Irish never played it young and have no association with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

🤣🤣🤣

This reads like the opening for a conspiracy theory.

"This is a feelgood story but" but then you realise the protagonist isn't like you but its too late and they have eaten your children.

Remember folks anything different is bad even if that person is doing good things.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ireland’s flirtation with liberalism may be coming to an end

To date, the main parties have avoided playing the migrant card but this may be about to change

Have highlighted the key word in both head and subhead. Wake me up when something significant starts happening to substantiate his thesis...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Saw on YouTube a everyone welcome shindig a month or two ago in fermoy, pascal Donohue n camera crew at it. Easily 100+ people at it. Could each and every person at the event be identified and have a couple of refugees dropped to their houses. It shouldn't just be the ordinary citizens of fermoy to get landed, it should be the cheerleaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I'm in favour of abortion being legal in Ireland. Does this mean I need to take one of my living children to be terminated?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You would be very concerned for female family and friends if you were in Fermoy.

Jesus that is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Saw the RTE headline today regarding that woman. Didn't need to read it. These days you know instinctively before you click the article and I'd just get annoyed if I did read it.

We are already at Sweden 101. They don't need to open the articles either and haven't for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they're an EU citizen, are you against the freedom of movement in the EU?

edit: oh i just read he had previous, yes that's shocking he was able to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

so we just allow a shower of crooks to keep making a hames of things. At the very least I'd like a fresh face making mistakes instead of the same old lads who have thought of nothing and are all out of ideas.

Advertisement