Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Lineker, BBC and Freedom of Speech - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Well as the left always say, yes you have freedom of speech, but you don't have freedom of consequences.

Ever hear of bringing your employer into disrepute?

Remember when the basketball Ireland guy said black dives matter on a Facebook post? Lost his job over that.

• man points out refugee policy is shocking

gets suspended

Welcome to 2023 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why do people think that this is the first time that a British government has interfered with the BBC ?

Jaysus look at the history of where BBC chairman & board, which were/are political appointments, have wrapped the knuckles of director generals over coverage.

Labour's old Harold Wilson tried it on back in the late 60s over an interview he didn't like.

Thatcher had Jacob Rees-Mogg's daddy as vice-chairman and was after BBC over Northern Ireland and Falklands coverage

Blair and director general Greg Dyke fell out over Iraq war coverage.

It ended up with the board being replaced by a Trust but that showed how incompetent they were over the handling of the Panorama Jimmy Saville affair.

This isn't anything new.

I am not allowed discuss …

• The saddest part of this honestly is a citizen is voicing their distaste for a government policy and it’s affecting their job.

I don’t care if the BBC is state owned it’s not a sackable offence to decry the government the UK, last I checked, wasn’t a communist nation.

This is the sort of shite you’d expect of Russia or China.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We don't have a single party government here though - we have a three way coalition.

If he had just one party in power, acting like a dictatorship and pushing through hugely controversial and provocative legislation (as the Tory Brexiteers are doing), I would imagine the atmosphere in the country and the media would be very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And I would disagree on all counts - ive never agreed with cancel culture, which us what this amounts to.

Unless you sign a contract with your employer - which Lineker never did because he's a freelancer - at which point ypu had the chance to disagree.

The only exception to this is if youre promoting abuse or criminal activity.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• well even freelance can have contracts and terms of employment to be fair.

I am going to cast a large shadow of doubt that Linkener did not have a contract of some description with the BBC.

he’s not writing the odd article for The Journal like he’s on national TV.

He may or may not have, but my point is he never promised exclusivity. And if there was a contractual clause covering expression of viewpoints, the BBC would have said something about it.

He also probably has more clients and personal endorsements (he used to present Champions League on BT sport, not sure if he still.does or not) but none of those have told him to step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

FG and FF are broadly similar. The Greens go along with them as long as they are allowed to implement a couple of policies that almost no one is in favour of. So, I think we actually have less choice than the brits, they have two options, we have one option essentially. SF are trying to be a different option but we can’t know until they get power.

RTE and other mainstream media has been developed for decades as a propaganda resource for the government.

Can't agree with that. The Irish political system is set up in a way that we will always have multi-party coalitions (and that will be the same if we have a left wing SF led coalition in two year's time).

We will never be faced with the situation which Britain is in at the moment of having a hard right populist government with a big majority in parliament pushing through hugely controversial and divisive legislation, against the wishes of even of many of its own people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Why is Lineker so outspoken on Twitter in recent years, there could be an alterior motive involved due to his legal case with the taxman.

Lineker’s Twitter account was part of the case that he was not a traditional employee bound by traditional rules.

Lineker argued that he is not subject to the same level of control as BBC employees given his apparent freedom to express personal and political views on social media.

That avenue of defence is now gone, wouldnt be surprised if The Conservatives said enough is enough and we will hurt this guy where it hits him most.

BBC have made a mess of the issue but Lineker is marked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

First they cancelled the people I didn't agree with and I did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Was there ever so much fuss over nothing

How would the Conservatives do that? They certainly can't be seen to attack him personally.

Lineker could easily walk into another top sports job. He might have to take a wage cut, but i doubt that would bother him; and given the support from his colleagues, I don't think they'd have an issue with him posting anti-government opinons on his twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

To be fair it was one of the better MOTD's that I have seen!

No over analysis on what he could or should have done.

Well done to the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Oh I say there are already offers in for him to jump. The joke earlier on in this thread of him Wright and Shearer hosting a show on Amazon called the Grand Match may not too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Many tuned in to see how it would work, and it was boring as hell, if done again next week figures will be zero

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Well done for what? They didn't end up in this because they wanted to be in it. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I know... you'd swear they were sitting around slapping each other on rhe back and wondering why they didn't think of it sooner.

They'd be making up plans to cut back the entire sports department. Just a how matches from whatever sport raw - mo commentary, no host, nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Oh its shocking alright.

More than 45,000 migrants and refugees arrived in Britain by boat in 2022, up from 28,000 in 2021, according to UK statistics.

Think about those numbers.

539 refugees and migrants are documented to have "tried to reach Britain on small boats" in 2018.

During the course of 2019, almost 1,900 had made the crossing by the end of the year.

By the end of 2020, about 635 boats had crossed the Channel, carrying 8,438 people

28,000 in 2021.

45,000 in 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Channel_migrant_crossings_(2018%E2%80%93present)

If UK had done the right thing and arrested, interred and exiled the 539 in 2018 to an offshore territory*, a foreign destination such as Rwanda or even just a highland prison camp, 57 lives would have been saved.

*thanks to the cunning use of flags they have plenty.

Lineker has said in interviews he is very interested in social issues such refugees and treatment of minorities, as well as politics in general. He's not one of these former footballers who is obsessed with football only and nothing else - he was always an intelligent and articulate guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I suggest, 1930ies Germany is a reference to Germany from 1933 onward, not the early parts of the 1930ies.

I think the problem is from both sides.

Gary Lineker is freelance, not a permanent employee by the BBC, nor is his role in working for the BBC political or reporting on political matters. It was football and the Match of the Day. So Gary was perfectly in line with rules to say what he believed in.

The BBC has the problem that they have a boss who is close to the conservatives.

Oddly, Sunak and Braverman have an immigrant background themselves.

And even worse, if the UK was actually part of the EU they could send them legally back to France, as per EU regulations. With Brexit and their idea of limiting immigration and illegal immigration they have issues in doing so.

The fundamental problem is Brexit, not one or more peoples different opinion and voicing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Funding for the BBC shouldn't be controlled by the Government. Similarly with RTE.

Have it decided by an independent body or periodic increases or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

At the same time, I don't think that the UK is anywhere near 1930ies Germany.

Nobody knocking in your door at 3am in the morning taking you to Gestapo headquarter to be interrogated or "made to talk" about whatever...

That would be 1930ies Germany.

• Our state broadcaster shouldn’t be funded by the state?

Is there any other suggestions like that? Perhaps the HSE should dissolve and be replaced with private system.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's not funded by the state. Licence fees and advertising. They do control the amount of the licence fee though afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's a lazy comparison that has no basis in fact.

This is normal in modern political discourse.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Advertisement