Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2023 Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn't work for them today, Antrim deservedly stay up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice to see a bit of fight from wexford this week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Some of the Wexford decision making when in possession is killing them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win for Cork.

6 points down and didn't score until the 21st minute.

Conditions weren't great but we continue to win all our league games to date and go into the semis.

Have to be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Wexford somehow managing to lose this game with Cork not at the races for a lot of the game. Cork finished strong but Wexford had a great chance to take the two league points on offer but whether it was a lack of fitness, skill or belief (prob a combination of all) they leave empty handed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Any other team would have came away with a victory. Maybe Cork are in a heavy load of training. They looked poor the last 2 games against weaker counties

Cork were poor and a long way off their second half when they beat Limerick. But their two best forwards that night Patrick Horgan and Robbie O Flynn were not playing. No Lehane either. Add them to Dalton, Jack O Connor, Harnedy and Kingston and that is a lot of firepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Every team are missing player. My worry is a lot of the younger players are showing no fight.

Kilkenny are always there.

They always "overachieve" when they don't win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So Cork and Tipp in the semis still tight for the other spots. Kilkenny vs Waterford is a QF now as expected and Limerick I feel have to get something against Wexford with Galway up against Westmeath and Clare against a Cork already through.

• Advertisement

They showed fight to come back and win today. Did the same in the Munster league final v Tipp came with a very late flurry of scores to win and did the same v Limerick too. I think Cork are in a good place. Not many can match their forward options. I forgot young Barret too.

I posted disagreeing with you but it looks like you may have called it - your prediction is looking a lot more likely than mine now!

I think that was the type of game Cork would have lost before. Good sign they won it and got a goal when the pressure was on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

You also forgot Alan Connolly and Tim O' Mahony.

But it's at the other end of the pitch where Cork need more options and in fairness to Pat Ryan he's giving a few young lads a chance.

Until last year the really were not "there" for a few years. Even when they made the final in 19 they didn't look great which showed in the final.

It's a very small championship so ye they technically will never be far from a final but from 2018 all the way up to tearing Clare apart they did not look like a top contender for the All Ireland.

We're many people tipping them for a final last year I don't think so. Surpassed expectations is probably a fairer term than overachieved.

No stopping the Cork juggernaut:

The county’s 2017 Munster Championship-winning captain Stephen McDonnell is sure Cork will have an edge over the rest in the coming years and are already ‘second best’.

“If they are coming up against Kilkenny or Tipperary, Galway or Waterford, it’s Cork to lose. And if they lose, it’s because they beat themselves. I’d say their biggest opposition, outside Limerick, is themselves,” said the Glen Rovers man and club captain this year.

“Limerick’s biggest opposition, if they lose the All-Ireland this year, is themselves too. Cork are definitely second best, something tells me in the next two years they will win an All-Ireland,” he added.

McDonnell sees Ryan as the perfect choice, given his record, experience and knowledge of the dressing room.

‘In the next two years they will win an All-Ireland’ – Cork hurlers backed to dethrone Limerick under Pat Ryan - Independent.ie

Saying 'if its Tipp, KK, Gal or Waterford its Corks to lose' in the coming years sounds a bit arrogant. Confidence was never short in Cork but that comment may well come back to haunt him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

An honest opinion doesn't necessarily mean it's an arrogant one. Some on here don't even have Cork coming out of Munster - again not necessarily an ignorant/stupid/arrogant/correct/incorrect/informed/advised opinion - but simply an opinion.

I don't think he's a million miles away from being right though. I think over the next couple of years, Cork could well be a team to lift Liam - if Limerick don't. Cork being 2nd favourite in his mind is a call that is not too far off the mark.

Bookies have Cork as the next best team in Munster, with Galway and Kilkenny above them - much easier for them to come out of Leinster, hence lower odds to win Liam - but not by as much as you'd think. Bookies aren't always right of course, merely an indication.

Getting out of Munster is the first hurdle. There will be a battle for that alone. But Cork are on an upward curve in the league, winning 4 from 4. Have introduced a lot of players in doing so also. Have forwards that know where the goal is and a setup to go for them. They appear to be reasinably settled in how they want to play.

Cork will be there or thereabouts over the next few years and could well win it. If they do, he wasn't necessarily arrogant, merely correct. Conversely, merely wrong.

Some might view such an opinion as arrogant, fair enough, but if i's based on what he sees in the Cork camp currently, I think is fair enough. If it comes back to haunt him, I'm sure he'll survive - I hope it doesn't though.

I think Cork will win All Ireland in not too distant future and are the coming force i've said that here already. I was just surprised to here a former player not long retired specifically name out all the individual counties he's saying Cork will be beating in the coming years. I'm not sure i've heard a player/ex player even lay it out like that.

I think there are about 5 or 6 counties could all claim to equally be 2nd best.

I also think Cork have finally put in a lot of work behind the scenes and they along with a few others will definitely be favourites in a few years.

Cork being their own worst enemy is balls though because it would be no shock if they were beat in the same way it would be no surprise if they won.

• Advertisement

Cork being their own worst enemy - probably is a Cork thing so some extent. Could be based on the fact that we have shot ourselves in the foot with major decisions at times - managers etc. due to politics in particular.

Particularly the footballers, the current manager should have been picked 10-15 years ago but for politics.I know there is politics at every County Board but Cork are renowned for it - and not in a good way.

Ryan is the kind of guy a lot of people down here wanted. He has started very well and hopefully can get us to where we want to be.

Or maybe that's his arrogance coming through, could well be. I'm sure there are ex players out there saying all sorts about why they think their team will do well.

Next year - two league finalists - make the all-Ireland series if they don't get through the provinces?

Where do you fit them in. Instead of Joe McD teams maybe.

Im not sure I would want to be heading into the round robin knowing my team were already through. The fear is half the fun.

Quarter finals. Yeah, it would deflate the Leinster or Munster round robin if you knew you had a safety net. But in terms of providing a carrot and making the league competitive that would be a serious reward and worth fighting tooth and nail for.

- Maybe a top seeding if you win the league - all home games and the commanding vote in the fixtures arrangement for the provincial championship.

Were you listening to this on the Dalo podcast. TJ Ryan proposed the idea. All the lads agreed that it was a good idea. I think something has to be done to give the league more gravitas. I like the proposal.

Championship is a very good structure. Personally I wouldn't fuk with it for the leagues sake.

It doesn't actually give the league any extra gravitas. Casual fans still won't care you won the trophy just that you qualified for the championship.

I bet it does feck all for attendance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

How about giving the league finalists 1 point on the round robin table? Could make all the difference when trying to qualify

It would make the teams take the league more seriously i would imagine. It would be a nice reward for getting to and winning the final. You here about some counties every year who might not want to get to league final as it's too close to championship. It might get rid of this mindset and teams would get two bites of the cherry to reach the last 8 of the All Ireland series. TJ Ryan, Dalo, Landers and Cyrill Farrell thought it a good proposal.

Oh, I like that. A point each. Maybe even two points for the winner.

• Advertisement

Advertisement