Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work joke gone on too far

• 11-03-2023 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 16 bluepeter

I work directly with a small group of people and there has been a joke between us for a few months.

I am a single female and I get alot of slagging for talking to male members of staff. People joking and saying I'm flirting and I'm a slapper. If I go to the toilet at all, they say I'm out in someone's office getting my hole. We had lunch at a restaurant a few weeks ago and the joke was that I was playing with the manager under the table (which never happened). I know they are joking and don't mean anything they say.

The thing is the joking went too far and they started joking in front of others. So now my supervisor knows and has told my manager that I like him, which I don't (he's married with kids).

How do I get this to stop because I'm getting fed up with it all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Sounds more like harassment than a joke. Are they men who are doing this? If so, it is discrimination. Can you tell them to stop?

If not, go to HR and go formal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just say it straight out to your joking colleagues that you think the slagging has gone far enough and you’re not comfortable with it any more.

If it doesn’t stop, then it becomes something more serious, and would warrant a complaint to your manager, or HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

When you say ‘there has been a joke between us’ did you engage in it as much as they did? Just wondering, because if so they may think you enjoy it and think it’s funny if you’ve joined in.

If not, either say it to them as a group or perhaps one on one, ‘do you know what - you might be only messing but those jokes about me being a slapper or fancying x actually make me feel uncomfortable and I’d really rather they stopped’. If it doesn’t stop when you ask, have chat with your direct manager /owner if there is no HR.

Post edited by YellowLead on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Augme

Say it to them first. Would strongly advise not going to HR as the first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bluepeter

Yes I did engage in it as much as they did. I knew they were only joking.

But I feel like it's getting too much now. And a supervisor that is telling my manager that I like them as well. But she's not telling him about the rest of jokes that people are coming out with. So all this seems to be on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I suppose your issue is really with the supervisor who is telling the manager you like them. The rest were just participating with you in what they thought you enjoyed, until it went too far. Just speak to her and ask her to confirm to the manager that she was only joking, if you can’t trust her maybe just bring it up with him yourself. The only way to sort it is to talk about it.

A friend of mine, also single female, highly skilled, highly experienced software engineer joined an all male team and was subjected to similar harassment, and thats what it is, ultimatelyshe left the company, because when she asked them to drop it, they got defensive, and then aspertions were cast on her capabilities. Her supervisor told her it was not appropriate for her to be engaging in such things in the work place.

Tell the guys you dont find it funny any more and ask them to drop it, but if it doesn't stop, a chat with HR will be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I would leave.

I am sorry this got out of hand.

Never ever tolerate anyone making fun of you at work, you are not there for someone else's amusement?

What you have been experiencing is nothing short of sexual harassment I would consider suing the sleazy phuckers, I mean that.

The next time a word of it is mentioned I would say something like " would you speak to your sister that way?" , that should put a stop to it, if it doesn't start recording everything, leave and then sue them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It’s actually bullying OP, they are laughing at you in plain sight.

Break up the group think. I would call them aside on a one to one basis and tell them it stops. Not everyone will be aware it’s getting to you and those who do thinkit’s banter will realise and stop.

if it does not stop , HR route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That sounds terrible. Sorry you have to go through that. It is sexual harassment. Either tell them it stops as it has gone to far and is no longer funny. If that does not stop them then go to HR and to the courts if nothing is still done but try and get some recordings of the harresment for evidence first. Then start looking for a job elsewhere and leave.

It's not good for you and its not fair on you.

There is nothing wrong with being single but you should be allowed to be happy and do your job in a happy and safe environment too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

It's actually not men doing the slagging. Like, I can take a joke but telling people I like them when I don't is just embarrassing. And I think it has gone on too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭blackbox

+1 for sorting it out with your colleagues and supervisor.

HR is there to protect the company. Sometimes this may coincide with your interests, but don't bank on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Just talk to the supervisor and explain it's an ongoing joke and not specifically about the manager. The supervisor should never have said it to the manager in the first place and should now go and explain it was part of a bit a banter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The supervisor is useless: behaviour should have been nipped in the bud as not work-place appropriate as soon as it started.

I'd look for a new job with competent people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

They're hustling you. Diminishing your professional reputation helps to increase their own position.

Tell them to cut it out one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I sucks what had happened. You had a private joke between colleagues which because it was private you were okay with it (I am guessing). Now it is public too many are knowing it is embarrassing as someone (and it can happen) will get the wrong idea.

I would talk to your colleagues tell them its gone too far and now its gone too fast. If you colleagues are really that friendly and were only messing they will have no problem either stopping it or toning it back but I would say stop it.

Your supervisor is a different story they should not have gone to the manager and said what they did. You need to have a conversation with them about it.

If all above fails then go to HR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

In future, don't engage. I mean a different topic or "banter".

Work is work. Keep everyone at arms length.

I'm not blaming you. If your manager raised concerns, take it seriously. Have a word.

Take this as a learning experience. You partook. I'm sure you gave as well as you took. They're colleagues not mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You were happy to go along with the jokes until you became the butt of one.

You all sound complicit so I think it's gone past the point of being able to tell them you don't like it.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

Start fighting fire with fire. Make jokes about how their wives don't mind you flirting with them. Better yet inform their wives how they joke and sexually harass you I'm sure they will be very interested in what their husbands get up to during work. I'd they still don't leave you alone go bigger. It's only a joke right? So play along and make them the center of attention instead.

You want to create a drama. Absolutely bonkers advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭893bet

I can’t believe people thought it was men saying this about women. That kinda things only happens in a movie. No chance on earth in any work place a group of men who talk openly like that these day.

OP, are these people “friends who have taken the joke too far” if so, then pull them aside 1 by 1 and explain your situation and current thoughts. Given you “egged” it on at the start you owe them a chance to stop.

or if they are a shower of fake friends who are bullying you opening and saying god knows when you are not there then that’s a difference story. No advice for that one.

Men absolutely do say these things about women. I am a woman who works mostly with men. The things they come out with are unprofessional and discriminatory. I had to call one of them out a few weeks ago and he told me I can't take a joke and went off sulking and has been really passive aggressive with me since.

They're women doing the joking and even if it was men, I wouldn't do this.

• I would consider that very embarassing and uncomfortable. I’m as full of banter as any of the “lads” (I’m a woman), but some people sort of see what they think is truth hidden in a joke, that’s what would make me especially uncomfortable about it.

I'm just sick of it all. It started of as a joke saying I was into some guy in work and then I was moving onto the rest of the men in work. I can't pick up anything of the floor without someone thinking I'm slut dropping, I'm meant to use my legs to lift things, and not use my back.

Someone new started a few weeks ago and she treated me like I was a teenage girl after the manager had just left the room. It was embarrassing and she didn't care. Now my supervisor has told him I like him.

It's just too much now and I am fed up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Augme

You need to stand up for yourself. If someone new is giving it to you then you are probably giving off a vibe that you are an easy target. Worth working on dealing with your assertiveness in general and it will help in every facet.

Not disputing that but it's not relevant to this topic.

• Advertisement

Are you a mod now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is 100% sexual harassment and is completely unacceptable in the workplace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Nothing like a gang of women to tear one woman to shreds at work. Funny how I assumed from the start of the thread that is was female colleagues. Any sane man in employment in 2023 knows you can’t do this. But the women…

Doesn't happen often, but I somewhat agree with your post.

Stand up for yourself, tell them to stfu and distance yourself op.

The new person joining the team carrying on like that is more likely the others getting their claws in. Easier to pick on one person than going against the rest. Sounds like secondary school peer pressure.

Your line manager should put the foot down, I know the rumours, but clear the air with them. I'd also mention why did they go to senior management.

Straight out bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Trust me, men can 100% be nasty, cliquey and as gossipy as any group of women. A lot of men just dont believe this and roll out the tired "women are bitchier than men" cliche but its simply not true. I have worked with men, many in their 40s and 50s, who would make Joan Collins shiver in horror with some of the accusations, gossip and mass spreading of lies i have seen men perpetrate on their colleagues.

But because men dont have the name for being gossips, they get away with it scot free.

Okay. I really haven't seen that.

Yours kindly,

A mid 40's bloke.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but its very prevalent in workplaces. Obviously not all men and women are gossipy but ive worked for 25+ years across a range of jobs with all manner of people and men can absolutely be as nasty and divisive as anyone else in a workplace. I have even seen men in jobs for 20years take a dislike to a new lad and effectively bully him out by exclusion and rumour spreading.

You may not have seen it yourself but that doesnt mean its not happening.

Have you done anything about it?

This is the issue. If you haven't.

I wouldn't stand for it regardless of seniority. I have principles

Survival of the fittest. If you expose an entrenched group of people intent on pushing someone out of a job are you seriously saying you would put your neck on the line and try and stop it? For a complete stranger? These kinds of toxic workplaces are everywhere with management too weak or indifferent to tackle it.

What the OP is experiencing isnt right but its a reality of many workplaces today. If she cant get any joy from HR her best bet is to move on to hopefully a less toxic place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I’m 30 years in the workplace, mostly mixed men and women, both hospitality and office, and my experience is that narcissism is more prevalent in men, in particular targeting women, but I’d really rather deal with that then the bitchieness of the females to one another. I have seen the animosity reach murderous levels.

I was trying to think of word for that...only word I can come up with is cowardice.

• Advertisement

You may say that but in the real world of work when you are dependent on your employer who puts a few grand in your bank account each month, very very few people actually rock the boat. All most people want is to go in, get their job done and get out to live their lives. If you are saying you would jump in and stop a group of 40 and 50 something men from excluding and gossiping about a new guy then fair play to you but there are consequences for everything and at the end of the day principals get you nowhere in a toxic work environment.

It sounds like you reject the concept of men being gossipy bullies but they absolutely exist. Your job may be a sheltered one where everyone gets on but thats the minority. In the case of the OP her only help is hoping management are worth their salt. Outside of that whats the alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Far from cowardice.

maybe you go into a job to survive, most go in trying to do a good day’s work, be professional, courteous and respectful of everyone regardless of whether you like them or enjoy their company… not believing in your superior enough to tackle a situation that unveils itself which is in their remit of their responsibility pay grade and position shows a management failure not an employee one..

I’ve experienced legitimate problems in workplaces that managers didn’t want to have to deal with. OP situation sounds similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

Just tell them the joke is done to death and they need to move on. When they look at you then, say that you are very serious. If it comes up again tell them you have asked them to stop nicely and there will be consequences if the persist.

Maybe I'm the exception? Done me no harm.

Actually I found it envelopes trust.

I agree with a lot of what you said there.

Although if your line manager doesn't have the spine to chat to you and first port of a call is senior manager, cowardice. Shouldn't be in the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

This is definitely harassment. You haven't helped matters by initially engaging in it, but this does not justify it continuing when you've made it clear that it is unwanted. Talk to your supervisor's manager and explain the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's the problem: the OP hasn't made it clear, yet.

Sounds like many of you work with kids. Behave like a professional adult from day in a job and you avoid a lot of this shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

Then stop complaining. Noone has time for people who cannot assert themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

OP, the mistake you made was joining with the banter or laughing it off at first.

Generally speaking, those who use 'banter' are toxic and should be avoided/ignored - remember this for your next job.

It sounds like this has gone too far now to come back from. Whether you make a complaint or not, be looking for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Baasterd

Record it... does not have to be video, you can record sound with phone easily....

Or

You could be trolling, describing your colleagues as thinking your getting your "hole" doesn't seem like the way a woman would describe the situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement