Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Try explaining how you validate genuine visitors to the hospital. If it’s such a trivial thing, you’ll be able to explain the solution in a short paragraph. Over to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The best way to keep public transport safe, is to have it be busy.

The 2 quid 90 minute fare is wonderful in Dublin. But the authorities need to build on that ambitious thinking with 24 hour services across bus and urban rail and a continued push to tailor routes to people, not to operators.

But no way should it be free. The NTA research is right and any behavioural scientist will tell you that people don't respect free services. Make it economical and safe and reliable and it will have the backing of people. 2 quid to get to and from 99% of the City neighbourhoods is excellent and its an offering that has cleverly replaced taxsaver tickets for so many people, including myself, now that the 5-day week in the office is becoming more rare.

But it does go to show, only the carrot will work, never the stick. And that should be the continued thrust of this Government, not threatening and draconian proposals like these last week around coercive change.

Same target as a 70 year old in a car, except that the car is probably worth more.

Really, the degree of fantasy required to come up with obstructions in amazing.

Investment in making public transport free takes limited resources away from investment in public transport infrastructure. What’s your priority?

You know drivers get free public transport, right? Why would they be incurring the congestion charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Because there aren't enough drivers right now to avail of said free public transport

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would be nervous to use a DB or Luas service at night especially considering the uptick in anti social behaviour, absolutely.

you posted a few links of cases in front of the courts recently, or which happened recently - and i'm not denigrating the seriousness of any of those on an individual level, but that's four cases in a city of over a million people, spanning an unknown number of months. but are there actual case numbers recorded anywhere? i know people wary of the luas red line; i used to take the green line (years ago) on a daily basis and probably witnessed two or three incidents over the span of seven or eight years.

in dublin, in 2019 (last pre-covid year) there were roughly 3m passenger journeys being made by bus per week, and the numbers seem to finally be recovering as of late 2022 ( https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-tb/transportbulletindecember2022/publicandothertransport/ ), 1m per week on the luas, and the figures i am finding for rail seem to be nationwide, so don't separate out the DART and suburban rail.

the most recent unpleasant experience my wife had was that while waiting for a bus on leeson street, a rat ran up the back of her leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Of course as I stated that’s for total population- which would include children.

So pony talk from you again.

Huge increase in carbon taxes thanks to the greens also.

Please present a balanced viewpoint if your capable of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The medical centre I was in the other week, you took a ticket as you came in. There was a machine for validating in the lobby, it just scanned the ticket, you put that in the machine as you left. Some scan your number plate and you validate your number plate in the facility as you exit. The barrier scans your plate the way out, opens the barrier.

The reason you don't know this. Is you don't drive, and you don't visit hospitals in a car. Or anywhere in a car. Because Hotels and such have validated carparking for decades. Many private clinics have these systems for years.

Basically you're not qualified to talk on the subject. No knowledge and no experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You know as well as I do that like cycling incidents there's many 100's of daily incidents that don't get reported than do, I was knocked off the bike last year.. did it make the front page of the Indo? No... Just like the bus/train you get home that stinks of cannabis, the back seats of the top deck taken over by groups of youths playing music on their phones with intimidating behavior, over crowded buses you have to fight your way out of almost at peak hours of the day and night.. the drug addicts leaving needles in the seats of the Luas or youths bringing live animals (horses) onto the trams, the fights at the Luas stops.. Buses having to divert out of housing estates around the city...

And before the SanctimoniousMonk tells me I'm mentally ill or some shite, i've travelled on late Buses and metro trains all over Europe and never saw the sorts of things daily that you see in alegedy a "rich country" in Western Europe as you see in Dublin, so all of that needs to be sorted before we ban the motorist...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Funny how only those arguing against car restrictions see these incidents "daily" on public transport

Thanks to all parties who were in government at the time you mean. And it's a pretty tiny tax in the grand scheme of things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, i'm very aware of that - but having not seen any incidents on the bus myself in the last few years (though i probably only average two or three journeys a week) i was curious whether there is any track kept of incidents which do get reported. the data will be very incomplete though, i agree.

and as it is with cycling, it's very difficult to separate out the perception of danger from 'actual' danger.

• Funny to me that you’re calling people mentally ill liars when you don’t even live here.

But anyway.

Born and bred in Dublin. I've been away for a year and that's the best you can come up with. Do you think I can't have an opinion because of this absence? And coming home regularly?

I've spoken to many Bus drivers who've told me about the levels of Antisocial behavior on buses and it's no surprise that there's a recruitment shortage, you couldn't pay me enough to drive a Bus in many parts of Dublin and deal with the utter pond scum that travel mostly for free on PT.

At least you live in Dublin, but just because it's not seen doesn't mean it isn't happening.. No one is going to give up the safety of their cars, in particular women and other groups subject to intimidation by the large groups of feral youths who travel on PT..

https://www.newstalk.com/news/stop-the-fing-bus-you-stupid-bh-dublin-bus-drivers-facing-regular-assaults-1400715

"One Dublin Bus driver said she has 'had enough' of being abused while at work.

Kathleen Owens was speaking as figures show Dublin Bus drivers have been assaulted 429 times over the last five years.

The statistics released to Sinn Féin also reveal a reported 3,344 anti-social behaviour incidents in the same period."

290 million passenger journeys were provided by Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann, Iarnród Éireann, Luas and Go-Ahead Ireland services in 2019

A total of 227.7 million passengers were carried on scheduled bus services, 48.3 million passengers travelled on the Luas and 50.1 million passengers travelled by rail in 2019.

The largest number of journeys by users of the bicycle sharing scheme in Dublin in 2019 was in the month of July when 376,758 journeys were made.

Cycling in the Dublin area takes up to 60,000 cars off the roads each day

Must be carnage.

The statistics released to Sinn Féin also reveal a reported 3,344 anti-social behaviour incidents in the same period."

Thats one per day nationally.

Yup, read my post... "reported"... looks like you're just in the habit of arguing for argument's sake.

• Advertisement

one thing that drove me nuts years ago (i think when my FIL broke his wrist), was that parking in james connolly was prepaid. and it still is, according to the HSE website ( https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/acutehospitals/hospitals/connolly/patient-and-visitors-information/car-parks/ ), and that's ludicrous, when you've often no idea how long you'll be there.

at the time, it was operating a rate which was cheaper per hour for the more hours you paid for. so you'd to make a guess about maybe paying for 3 hours, and possibly getting out after an hour, and you've clearly overpaid. or paying for an hour, and having to go back out and pay again, having paid at a higher rate, etc.

it can't be that difficult to install a barrier and a proper ticketing system.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So you're not even going to attempt the questions I asked you?

Might that be because you can't?

You've repeated the same point all the way through this entire 1000 post thread..which boils down to "Public transport is being improved(and will be there soon)... yet seem to ignore the fact that major projects while "announced" are merely intentions only, you further ignore the Irish state record on delivering public projects (one of the worst in the Western world..) on time and within budget, even Government projects these metro projects won't be completed until 2060... but go ahead and keep telling people it will be all great soon..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So youre not going to tell us your ideas to reduce the number if motorists in order to achieve the world leading public transport system you want? You're happy just deflecting.

We're 1000+ posts in and i've stated my ideas already.. Achieving a "world leading PTS" isn't an idea I came up with all by myself by the way, so do your own research (not going into the finite details you appear to retort in every single response to posters on here, it's boards.ie not a PhD research paper), In the meantime taxing people out of their cars (as I have stated ad-nauseum on here) isn't going to achieve it...whether you like it or not.

A tax none the less, and the GP were the driver of it.

my last gas bill was (before VAT) €24 standing charge, €292 for gas, and €16 carbon tax.

if this was the result of a 'huge increase' in carbon tax, it was definitely relative and not absolute.

Neigghhhh it's not.

Children are people too. The majority of people don't have cars, some people are too young, some are too old, some are too poor, some don't have room or space, some have recognised the harm done by cars in destroying our planet, some have swapped the second car for a cargo bike.

But whatever the reason is, continuing to plan our cities for people driving round with four empty seats all day just isn't an option.

Have a look at what's happening in smarter cities and countries.

• Advertisement

So if I park in the car park, walk into the lobby, validate my ticket, I can head off for the day and enjoy the free parking - that's a great idea.

How does the machine that scans my reg plate know if I'm a genuine visitor to the hospital parking or a chancer availing of free parking?

Advertisement