Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Put them back in their box. The Scotland v Ireland build up thread.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

A quote that stuck with me was Rob Kearney after the loss in Murrayfield in 2017.

He said how they "let Finn Russell play in a dinner suit"

I remember how well he pulled the strings that day and we just sort of... let him. I think we underestimated him a bit that day.

Given how mobile our pack is an how well our backrow is balanced I don't think he will be getting such luxuries this time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

VDM might be a better finisher than Lowe but that’s about it. Lowe has far more influence on a game.

Lowe is much more of a tactical option than VDM. For example his kicking game is invaluable to Ireland. Having said that, he's not going to beat 8 defenders in scoring from the halfway line like VDM did against England.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Racing game in Paris gives a good insight into it I think.

Leinster hosed them and Russell was largely irrelevant for the entire game - He had one moment of brilliance where he broke the line and offloaded to Wade for a try but otherwise he did absolutely nothing all game.

Ross Byrne was head and shoulders the better 10 that day.

But in the media afterwards all they could talk about was Russells "Magic" even in defeat blah blah blah.

I'll always take a player that delivers 7/10 all game for every game over a guy who has a few moments of 11/10 along with large blocks of 3/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Completely agree. Deny VdM a platform and he's just some fella hanging out on the tramline.

If Lowe doesn't see any service coming his way, he'll feckin well go and take some.

I said before the France game, that Ireland would embarrass the French. I think its fair enough to say thats what happened, certainly compared to the ambitions of the French on the day.

I don't think that Ireland will necessarily embarrass the Scots tomorrow, as they seem to have a pretty realistic idea of whats coming to face them. I do think however, that Ireland could well set back their strategic plan by months, if not years, such is the schooling we will give them.

Scotland 17-40 Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd take VDM. That's it. Sexton over Russell and Murray over White.

Disappointed that Healy gets back in. Kilcoyne has been good. There's McCloskey dropped also! They both did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

ChatGPT and I will be in the Munster thread if anyone is looking for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

There’s great confidence in our backs now but if we undergo some mild turbulence in the first twenty the comments will as usual take an impressive dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

It says a lot for our depth that guys like McCloskey and Kilcoyne find themselves outside the 23 considering the form they've shown. They'll be back without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Hard to believe that Leinster only have 17 of the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

I fully expected Ireland to smash the Scotch by 25 points or more. A real drubbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd be more confident of a victory if Beirne were available. He's one of the best in the world at poaching opposition ball at the breakdown. Scotland do a lot of damage with quick ruck ball so we'll need POM, Porter and Doris to really step up today.

I'm not quite as confident about Ireland keeping Russell out of the game either. I've seen some mentions of Leinster doing a job on him in the Champions Cup games, but that's not how I remember it. He had three or four moments of magic across both games which led to trys. A few brain farts as well, but what really let Racing down was their pack.

They were underpowered in the first game and not fit enough to last the pace in the second. Scotland won't have those same issues. Russell will have more to work with. If we can overpower and outwork Scotland up front I'm hopeful of a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

as much of a loss as he is to Ireland his absence is going to be very detrimental to Munster.

Henderson is very capable of doing a job, he will be better for his start in Rome and the chance of seeing Baird getting a run is a huge opportunity for him and the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Racing have a better pack than Scotland imo, he's not going to have an easier ride today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Barring the usual red card caveats I just can't past an Ireland win today probably quite comfortably, across the pitch we just are a much more rounded team and better in every area of the game. Can't say I would have a single Scot in the team v the Irish starting 15. They are improving but still finding their way. The game v France was over at 19-0 and all we have seen is a win over an atrocious Welsh team and the worst England team I can think of in recent years.

Come on Ireland !!

We'll beat Scotland. We're a better team and are in good form.

I don't doubt this playing groups ability to manage the pressure and deliver.

You jinxing fecker!

Still Venjur's fault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Got to love Zebo's gear😅

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

The absolute state of Zebo 😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭HBC08

Dangerous enough sentiment amongst ireland fans thinking we'll beat Scotland handy enough and looking forward to next week.

Scotland are playing well but maybe getting a bit ahead of themselves,sound familiar?

Scotland will beat Ireland one of the days,could well be today.Going for their first silverware since 1990,Hoggs 100th cap,Russell in the form of his life,seriously revved up home crowd,Furlong not 100% fit but having to start.

There's no doubt that Ireland are the best team in the world (on paper and maybe in reality too,hasn't always worked out like that) but this is near enough a 50/50 game today.

I'm giving a tentative nod to an Ireland win by 7.

• Advertisement

Murray absolute pants so slow, tedious and killing our entire game, off now.....

JGP on now or we may struggle here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Madeoface

The smelly socks back in their box...

Tight first half...ref was pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Advertisement