Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland v Ireland match Thread by. chat GPT.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since this was posted so soon after my warning. For the avoidance of doubt, any more posting in this thread will result in a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Could you imagine Bruno Fernandes in the hand off between James Lowe and Kyle Steyn today? He'd have been hospitalised, or worse. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

According to ESPN Ringrose had 7 missed tackles, even for their margin of error, that's high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

On a different note, the cult of Finn Russell must have taken a big hit today.

When Scotland were in the ascendancy possession wise, he couldn't do anything with it. When Ireland were back on top, he couldn't dig his side out of a hole.

Two nice kicks though.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nah you still have some claiming he was the better out half today despite the fact he did absolutely nothing.

Once again, when the going gets tough, he's nowhere to be seen. He can through all the fancy passes he wants but he's a selfish player and that will only get you so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The press can stick it up their arse with him.

We've lost 2 hookers and our go to line out jumper. Never crossed Russell's mind to keep kicking into our 22 and put pressure on to our line out.

Mercurial, something from nothing, magical, genius....blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Context is everything. Several of them IIRC were from guys cutting back inside after he cut off the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Porter missing out on the lions was a true blessing, he has developed his game so much since then, 80 minutes, always positive actions and finally looks to have gotten over his penalty habit at the breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Jack Dempsey down for 23 tackles and 0 missed. Impressive.

VDF best of the Irish, 18-0.

Is ChatGPT still being discussed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Once again, we are Ric Flair.

Made Scotland darn near look like France in that first half. Made the game a real tussle, even if through injuries and chaos. But all the Scots will dwell on is that they put it up to us and they'll have their eyes firmly on the rematch at the RWC.

To be the top guy in a wrestling territory, it's not just about winning all your matches, it's about making the fans believe their guy might beat you next time.

In that vein, we will beat England next week, but we'll give them just enough so they come out of it thinking Borthwick has them on the right track.

Movin' tickets baby. Wooooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Doesn't have to complete tackles, just slow them down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

If I was a Scotland fan I would have been livid about that, from the minute you see Kelleher carrying his arm you'd think of crucifying Ireland with lineouts in the 22. VDF even fluffed a couple but they still didn't adjust accordingly. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

Looking at ways we can improve. I thought our defence struggled today in the first half. Scotland could have scored 3 tries in the first half. Our maul hasn't been very effective in this tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'm not sure he did that to be honest, I thought a lot of them at the time were bad reads. Maybe it'll look different on a re-watch but I thought it was one of his poorer defensive displays for Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

My own thoughts on that one:

• Absolutely brilliant performance and result under the circumstances. It's been mentioned before, but France in RWC 2015 is the one that comes to mind by comparison, with bodies dropping everywhere. 
    • Mack Hansen hugely deserved MOTM. Try of his own, brilliant assist for Conan, and had the take in the air prior to the Lowe try. Heavily involved in our build-up play all day and even a jackal. He's been such a great find.
    • And on his try; it's weird how often it happens when all eyes are on the grounding that the tackle itself often gets overlooked. No attempt to wrap, for me.
    • Keenan's pass deserves a mention as well. He's had some brilliant assists for us now over the last 18 months or so. 
    • POM and James Ryan with 2 huge games as well, and next in line for MOTM for me. VdF too deserves a mention, the lineout stats are ridiculous considering the situation.
    • And Cian Healy, take a bow. Healy's longevity often gets overlooked in the face of whatever withcraft Sexton is using. 
    • Really hope Ringrose is ok, looked an awfully nasty one. Was one of those one's where invariably someone in the room ends up saying "I wouldn't let my child play rugby". 
    • On those criticising Murray's speed of service, Scotland were making the ruck a complete mess in the fisrt half and getting away with it. From the kick off in the 2nd half, Pearce seemed to take a stronger stance and penalised 2 players immediately. That's some of the context that's being overlooked. I'd still have JGP ahead of him, and he was brilliant when he came on. But Murray has been very good this 6 Nations. 
    • Also, the disallowed try was the right call given the laws, but I expect that's something that'll be looked at and changed. Seems a bit of a loophole that teams could try take advantage of.
    • A GS at stake with a home fixture for the first time. And this squad playing this well with 1 competitive game left prior to the RWC. Really exciting week, and few months, ahead for us. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

I think Andy Farrell has brought a mental toughness to this Irish team that we've never seen before in an Irish rugby team.

Schmidt's teams had all the plays, technically so well brought out. But I don't think they'd have won today. Maybe it's the rugby league background. But this team doesn't do panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

True, they had their moments in the first half but we turned the screw after half time. I just found it interesting that Aki was getting slaughtered last week for a poor defensive showing and I thought Ringrose was very poor defensively today but with him on here it's 'he doesn't need to make the tackle, just slow them down' - and I'm not sure he did that today. But it's rare he has an off day.

We seem to be much fitter than other teams, or maybe it's our style of play is exhausting for defences. We're exceptionally well drilled.

The injuries were a good stress test of what could happen in a World Cup (not that we want players getting injured obviously). We've a decent plan if we lose our hookers. It was very interesting that Baird was used as defensive jumper when he came on instead of POM for a while, think POM stole one later on when he went back to that role. Both Baird and POM were sensational at securing lineout ball (VdF too for his throwing!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ireland's passing is levels above where it was a few years ago, Keenan and Hansen in particular draw defenders and time their passes extremely well. Looks simple but most players seem to get it wrong

Lowe had confidence in our outside centre so stayed wider not giving opportunity to spread the play. Huge difference.

Definitely fitter. Great weapon in our armory.

It looks like we have a plan. That match should scare other teams coming against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

It was being flagged as the ball was thrown, but because of the speed of the rucks and noise, it was only after the 'try' was scored that it was called back. The most unfortunate thing about it was the injury to Doris. I'd regard it in the same way as a quick tap being taken from the wrong place. It is just really unusual for it to play out the way it did today, with a team losing a quick lineout and then conceding a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

On those criticising Murray's speed of service, Scotland were making the ruck a complete mess in the fisrt half and getting away with it.

I Don’t remember him pinging them but that does make sense. They certainly weren’t making as much sh1t of our ball in the second half. It seemed that nearly every ruck had a Scottish player laying on the wrong side of it. Not preventing clear outs but getting in Murray’s way and making no attempt to move. In the second half it was happening a lot less. Maybe Barnes had words with him.

Barnes wanted VDM pinged for the no arms hit on Hansen. Seemed like Pearce was determined not to give a card today though. As they certainly should have been carded for Hogg in the first half or Hogg and Richie in the second half. It seemed like Scotland were more than happy to give up penalties in the red zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Have to say the lineout crisis management was excellent. POM, Baird and Ryan all really delivered but what more can be said about VDF. Plenty of teams would be throwing crooked lineouts or getting robbed in the same lineout situation. Funnily enough I kinda expected Healy to go well once he was properly lining up for that first scrum at hooker. He's incredibly driven and has persevered through a lot in his playing career.

We've been handed injury setbacks before like before the 2015 World Cup quarter final against Argentina which we couldn't recover from. Today was even more of a potential deer in headlights situation with little time to properly plan but this group of players seem to have balls of steel. To pull through that and nearly grab a TBP win is gonna be some boost.

At the same time I've zero doubt England are gonna put in their best showing of the campaign in next week after that backlash. They won't start Smith and will be stronger for it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

They don't get a free shot. If they had gone up the field and scored the same law applies, their try would not stand. Assuming the officials spotted it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its a free shot to knowingly try it. There is no reason for Wales not to go for the illegal quick throw that they scored against us for example - and that paid off for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

No it wasn't. And all the posters on here calling the ref stoned or corrupt, saying that Ireland were playing against 16, the ref was crap, those posters are dickheads. If there is a specific decision you disagree with, call it out and back it up. Childish screaming about the ref just pisses me off.

There were 2 decisions I'd question. Hogg not getting a yellow for the arm grab: no YC when Lowe scored but it is rare for refs to issue a card after a try; Healy's tap penalty, thought that was a retake but I could be wrong.

Advertisement