Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Scheffler just isnt that fun to watch. I have the TV on, but I'm actually watching the Long Drive tournament on youtube. There's a bit more tension and excitement in that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Agreed. Super player and seems like a nice fella but I feel absolutely nothing when watching him.

I love the way they have the mics by the water on 17 for that extra loud splash

Think sawgrass would make a cracking Ryder cup venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Carnage on 17 the last hour,so many in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That would be amazing but they'd surely have to start on the 10th as you'd run the risk of barely seeing the marquee holes of 16, 17 and 18

That'd be great, then lads bursting for eagle on the par 5 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rough day for Min Woo Lee but the experience will make him stronger I think. He could be in contention for a major some day and he'll know what not to do.

He needs a fist pump and a bit of reaction with the fans. His problem is he's a really mannerly, friendly guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Not sure sungjae im has the stones for a major sunday. Played his way right out of the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Must say, really enjoy the matchplay, disappointed this will be the last one

Same, should be at least one matchplay tournament on the schedule I think. Austin CC is a brilliant course to watch, loads of memorable holes.

Would love if they brought back the old Wentworth matchplay too.

Wonder will they have a Ryder Cup there, seems a good mix of holes and an exciting back 9

The Wentworth one was a great tournament. I was never a huge fan of the WGC event.

I'd love to see them bring back Wentworth. I think the WGC one pretty much made it irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'd imagine the Netflix guys would love some sort of year end big event with matchplay, has a bit more potential for drama

If we didn't know it already it looks like Scheffler has gone to a different just like this time last year. I wouldn't bet against him defending the Masters.

Both semis gone to extra holes. Great tournament so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not the final the tv wanted I'd say...have to say it's a bit of an anti-climax now...

• Advertisement

Shame that the final has been such a dud, I'll still miss the matchplay when it's gone though, hopefully it comes back

It was the only WGC event that ever interested me. I always preferred the world matchplay at Wentworth, I'd much prefer if they brought that one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Tyrell Hatton missed his putt on 16th, turns around and you can clearly read his lips saying "Fcuk off, you fcuking prcik!". Looked like was aiming it at Tom Kim!

He was swearing like mad again on 17th.

I think they mute the mics whenever he's playing. I find him quite funny though I generally don't like playing partners who lose the plot. I would be guilty myself in the past but like to think I'm a bit calmer with age. 😊

So now that Brooks will more likely than not qualify for the US Ryder Cup team automatically, does it open the door for others?

If there's already a LIV player in the team, what's the harm in giving DJ a Captain's pick?

The old guard in Europe have definitely ripped up their chances of being picked by giving up their Tour membership, but what about a Pieters?

Be kind of funny if the US has LIV players but we don't having been hockied the last time and LIV supposedly the PGA Tour's nemesis!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

The ryder cup in Europe is run by the European tour so it is a bylaw of the Europeans that you must be a tour member (hence why Power/Straka and a few other 100% USA based Europeans will try to play the required number of DP tour events to get/keep card). The US side of Ryder cup is not run by the PGA tour - it is the PGA of America runs it so you do not have to be a member of the PGA tour to qualify/get a wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Pieters would be a fringe Ryder Cup player to be fair even if he was still playing on the tour. There isn't a single other European who's gone to LIV that you'd want anywhere near the team. The US are different in that DJ, Brooks are still playing at a very high level, even Bryson showed some form at the PGA. Westy, Poulter etc. have all been terrible since LIV (and before that with exception of westwoods decent runners up a few years back). If we had someone like Brooks or DJ then it might change things but we don't.

I thought the automatics came from the Fed Ex cup points list?

No, it's a points per $1,000 earned depending on event.

It's two points per 1k in a major (for winner only, 1.5 otherwise), so Brooks is pretty much a lock.

I was struggling to pull a name alright, was only thinking of members because of the criteria. Think Wiesberger is still a member too, but maybe not.

The old lads handed in their membership to avoid the ongoing fines. It's €100,000 per same week event you miss, so a max of €1.4m but probably less to keep your card and play LIV.

Of course there's the likes of Chacarra and Puig, who are obviously not members but who knows how good they may be. We might find out when there's an integrated world rankings again!

• Advertisement

I really don't know anything about the Ryder Cup. I don't even watch it because it just all seems so fake to me.

So 500k = 1k points?

How many get in off that points list?

I found that points list, Jordan Spieth is seventh. He's 2.4k points behind Koepka. So if he earns $1.5 million he'll be past Koepka?

A couple of top fives would do that so he's far from a lock I think.

Advertisement