Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of the major providers give out any free SIM's ?

Options
  • 12-03-2023 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

I am just wondering, my bill pay is now up for renewal, I might go PAYG now but I wouldn't mind going with a provider that has got the best 4G signal at my house. - So I have gone on the 'service coverage' site at ComReg ( https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map ) and the colour system is a terrible idea the colours on it are too similar to each other .

Was wondering if ALL the main SIM providers would send out a no obligation pre-pay SIM card (with very little or no credit at all) that I could pop into my unlocked mobile phone and check in real time (ie look at how many signal bars I have on my phone) and get a better idea than the coverage map of what signal is best at my house?

If they dont I think it would be a very good idea , I don't know what others think of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rhinosaurious

They won't send our free sims, your best bet is Vodafone. They have the best coverage overall. You can just download the Comreg coverage checker app on your phone I find it a bit better to work, or use the site viewer which shows the nearby masts and who operates them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Thanks for that suggestion of the app - much better, strangely Vodafone shows no coverage at my house address for 5G and 'fair' for 4G whereas Tesco Mobile who I am with at present shows good for 4G and good for 5G .. so Vodafone then even though they have best coverage on the whole will not be good at my address it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone PAYG SIMs are free online, they ask for card details but there's zero charge.

Eir PAYG SIMs cost €10 online.

48 PAYG SIMs are free online with 1GB data free to try for a week. They charge activation fee when first months plan is bought but are the best value at 12.99 per month while Vodafone, Eir & 3 plans cost €20 per 28 days.

Don't pay too much attention to coverage maps, they're only for broad guidance.

great , thanks for that . Yep I were wondering how accurate the coverage map IRL myself - if I could I would physically have 1 of each just put them in my unlocked mobile, check the signal on 3g 4g 5g and just go with the one (that is the best signal on 4g) most probably - but that's not viable if the SIM's would have to be bought .

if I take my settings off auto select in the mobile provider settings I can only see

Tesco Mobile (2 of them)

IRL-Meteor (well they are gone now!)

and Vodafone

and thats it - no details of signal, just says they are available networks.

so if the coverage checker says 48, three, eir and others are available at my address I wonder why they are not showing up at all in the available networks section on my phone? - would anyone have a clue by any chance? - and is it best to just stick with a sim/provider who just shows up when I put my phone into manual network search?

• Advertisement

There's 3 physical networks:

Vodafone

Eir

There are also virtual networks using the masts of the physical networks as follows:

Postmobile use Vodafone

48, Tesco & Lyca use 3

Gomo use Eir but Gomo don't have PAYG plans.

As Tesco uses 3 masts, the coverage should be similar to 3 and 48.

You'll need Vodafone SIM to check them but they either throttle or have lowish data allowances on €20 plans.

That leaves Eir, maybe ask around the area for idea of their coverage. Meteor is same as Eir.

IMO 5G is marketing hype so don't discount a network that doesn't have 5G signal in the area. 4G/4G+ is good enough for most usage.

FYI 3G will be retired in the next year or 2 and it's bands will be reallocated to 4G/4G+

I think your best bet is to stick with Tesco so, it seems to be the best signal at your address. They’re also one of the few companies not doing price increases. Good value for sure

Thank you for that - oh right if you say that 3G will be retired and allocated to 4G thats interesting my old 2013 car has a built in head unit/navigation that uses 2G or EDGE connectivity for (something or other, must be for updates or talking to my phone app) so 2G and EDGE will presumably be retired very soon from the networks then there will be no connectivity to the car then

yeah might stick with tesco - 2 bars most of the time , i wonder if any of the others would give me full bars. I am of the understanding not only full bars good for calls but its also better for the phones battery - the odd times tesco mobile goes totally offline like saturday , off most of the day - the wife on 48 that went off to same time. that must be because share same mast

"2G and EDGE will presumably be retired"

No, at least not for a few years.

2G will be used for calls where handset and / or provider doesn't have 4G calling when 3G ends.

Although 2G seems a step down in terms of quality, in practise it's not noticeably worse than a 3G call IME. The drawback of 2G calls is no 4G access during calls so no data.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think you should stick with Tesco, they're the only company now in Ireland that doesn't have any increases while in a contract, I think it's your best bet.

Advertisement