Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

Custom made pylons where designed and made in the US to fit the Mig 29s with a “Mil-Std-1760C” digital data bus

Squadrons would program target coordinates into the JDAMs before a sortie. But the bomb still needs to know where it is, and how fast it’s traveling, in the instant it drops. That’s the data that passes through the Mil-Std-1760C bus.

And i belive it works the same for all types of JDAMs,you just need to change the weight depending on variants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

not just yours.

you've seen what im talking about.

and you know the terms i used are accurate.

but anyway, the same behavior will be repeated, in which case maybe ill be there to point it out, and thus be proven right.

and if its not repeated then ill have been proven wrong, won't that be nice. there never was a coven of slimy little weasels in here twisting peoples words. and people can speak freely about nuanced topics without being bullied and called wallace voters, orwell rd bots and so on. it was all my silly imagination.

wonderful.

Twisting words ,who's twisting your words.

People tieing themselves in knots is fun,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, they will be invaluable! And will be very well equipped with medical gear, and possibly even an operating table. They will be capable of far more than simply transporting the wounded, and that's for sure. Under the Geneva Conventions, once they show the Red Cross emblem, they're protected, But given the respect Putins hordes show for rules, they will serve only as a magnet for an attack. During the 2nd ww, Japanese officers told their troops to especially target US troops who wore the emblem, To counter this, the Americans, removed the RC patches. Might be good advice in this case too.

We already know they have attacked ambulances so it's safe to say these will definitely be targeted, unfortunately as seen elsewhere Russia sees any kind of medical vehicles or hospitals legitimate targets,

I remember back in 2014 Russian vehicles marked with RCs were transporting soldiers and weapons into the east of Ukraine under the guise of humanitarian aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

I'd genuinely like to know what's upset you, you've blamed me and one or two others yet I don't believe that's true ,

So what's your actual opinion on the illegal invasion and occupation of Ukraine by Russia ,

How would you have prevented the invasion or would you have stood by and done nothing

Name names, identify the posters who you claim are behaving like bullying stasi members, twisting turning and misrepresenting's posters comments. Go on, do it!!! That is if you can. Or are you just going to continue your cowardly posts, hiding behind making nebulous derogatory comments about posters?

• Advertisement

I'd say that its Prigozhin trying to terrify Putin into giving him what he wants in order to prevent Ukraine from taking complete control of Bakhmut, and then rolling all the way to Moscow.

I'd say Tao, that many would have already run as fast as their legs could take them except that they would have to get through two lines of "enforcers", just like in the movie, Enemy at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Seeing as how Russia purchases commercial satellite images as well as having their own and recon with drones etc... it would be kinda hard for Prigozhin to bluff it. But speaking of which, imagine working in Maxar and just photoshoping in hundreds of tanks and troops around the area!

It's like training for a video game ffs. What's next? teaching them tap-strafing followed by jumping up and down to avoid splash damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I know about the pylons for JDAMs and the HARM. I think you misunderstood me. In order for all JDAMs of different weights to have the same aerodynamic perfomance in terms of glide slope and range, you would need physically different wing kits tailored for each weight munition. For a 910 Kg JDAM-ER to fly as far as a 230Kg JDAM-Er, it's going to need much bigger wings.

I have only seen the wing kits mentioned in the singular, as if there is just one that fits all the JDAM's, but I think that probably isn't the case.

Are you baseing it all on a heavier bomb falls faster than a smaller bomb?

Would it not be cancelled out with the heavier bomb having more surface area, creating more drag?

Allright,because the old system is only based on gravity and tail kits in combination with Inertial and GPS guidance

And i belive the wing kits are only for the JDAM ER and only the 500 pound bomb,so far.

It's a matter wing loading - wing area divided by weight. As the wing moves through the air, the forward impetus being front loaded by the aircraft and then gravity, it generates lift as a function of it's area and speed through the air. if you have small wings on a heavy bomb, you have to increase the angle of the glide slope to increase the speed of the airflow and so increase the amount of lift that is partially countering the weight of the bomb. But then the penalty is decreased range

With bigger, mainly longer, wings, on the same bomb, the amount of lift proportional to the weight is greater at a given airspeed so the glide slope can be shallower and so the distance it can travel before intersecting the ground is greater.

Gliders have long thin wings and are built as light as possible in order to have as low a wing loading as possible, which means the can have extremely shallow glide-slopes and so fly a long distance from a given height. Gliders pioneered the use of modern light weight materials in aviation. The Boeing 787 was the first commercial airliner built largely from carbon fibre, but the guinea pigs that proved the materials worth were gliders in the 1990s.

Bombs of different weights without wings should fall at almost the same terminal velocity as Galileo showed that gravitational attraction is independent of mass, so only air resistance makes a difference. One of the Apollo lunar astronauts proved it by being filmed dropping a large feather and a geologists hammer simultaneously, showing them both impacting the Moon surface at the same time. Those were cool times.

But would the bomb with more mass naturally travel further than the bomb with less mass, assuming both are launched at the same speed? If so the larger bomb would be travelling at a higher speed and not needing a larger wing to create lift?

• Advertisement

Not by enough to make any appreciable difference and certainly not enough to counteract the wing area deficit.

Here's a graph from the original testing and development of these. As you can see there is a phase just after release and the wings are opened where the the bomb swoops up to convert kinetic energy into height, but this phase is relatively brief compared to the length of time it then spends gliding to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Depends on height, which is crucial. Glide ratio with altitude. The higher the aerofoil is launched, the further it will go.

In a heavy aircraft, for example, you won't go far with an engine out at 2,000 ft. But at 20,000 its a whole different story.

The JDAM-ER is said to have a similar glide ratio to a light aircraft, which is for every 1000ft AGL dropped, it will travel 1.5nm. So at 10000ft released, the bomb will travel 15nm roughly.

When flying light aircraft, we practice stalls and engine-outs at as high an altitude as practical, while all the time scanning for potential landing sites. It is important to be aware of the glide ratio of your aircraft and to know that altitude is king. The higher you are, the further you will travel in emergencies.

Jdams of this variant are dropped between 40,000 and 10,000 feet. The dilemma for the Ukrainian jets is that they would be vulnerable to AA at 10,000. Its probably a case of flying in the trees until a release point, pop up to 10,000 agl, release, then scoot for home.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

You're confusing acceleration due to gravity (which, as you described, everything falling should hit this figure (9.8m/s), given no external factors) and terminal velocity.

TV has additional parameters such as drag co-efficient, mass and cross section, which can make things take longer to accelerate, with bombs it's definitely a factor, especially with long range precision munitions.

Different objects can definitely have different terminal velocities.

It's the reason cats can be dropped from a height and not die...

That's why cats make excellent bomb interfaces between the Ukranian Mig's and western munitions.

Post edited by AerLingus747 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

I was going to google feet in a nautical mile to get a more accurate visualisation of the glide ratio since the graph axes are to different scales. But then I stopped and said f..k it, no. If they can't be bothered dragging their imperical asses into the 21st metric century, I'll be buggered if I'm going back in time just to be able to better understand their data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

Humanity can only be expected from humans. These creatures are no humans.

Not one bit surprised,and people wonder why we call them orcs ,

Top gun has a lot to answer for 😜😜

Re changing name to Muscovy

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said in a statement posted to Telegram on Saturday that Zelensky is trying to create an “anti-Russia Ukraine.”

That level of cheek (Cognitive Dissonance) takes the biscuit... Russia is bombing your infrastructure, raping and murdering your citizens as well as kidnapping them... HOW DARE YOU BE ANTI RUSSIAN.

FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Someone been reading too much "His Dark Materials"?

• Advertisement

I am well aware that TV is affected by drag, hence my vacuum reference. I wasn't trying to write a paper, but yes, a 910Kg GBU is going to impact with a TV 13% higher than a 320 kg version.

Since the discussion is about bombs with wings, freefall TV isn't really the main issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement