Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

we are once again denied the glory of Bass Face!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Gizzard have Fri and Sat free. Would be epic to see them at Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This one is due a second announcement too so we may get some cross over from this hopefully, perhaps it will be before EP's announcement or after. So I presume there might be an announcement for EP on Friday.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well, Young Fathers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Idles, Amyl and the Sniffers, Wet Leg, Steve Lacy....there's the makings of something there alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah I made my decision regarding EP on the way home from Stradbally last September. It was going to be my last one, it's a real shame we missed out on two years of it as well, I might have felt different about it now.

But lots of other gigs, festivals and trips away planned for this Summer anyway so I really doubt I'd get swayed by Melvin this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Will be making a return to Stradbally this year having missed out on 2022, but fully expecting it to be my farewell to Electric Picnic. The thread is usually such a source of excitement when the lineup comes out and in the buildup to the festival so I hope there is a bit more activity here the next while. Initial announcement didn't do a whole lot for me and I am feeling.. not optimistic.. shall we say about the main announcement in the coming weeks. Having said that, some acts that are touring other festivals that I'd like to see announced:

Bicep - playing in Belfast and Reading/Leeds the weekend before EP. No Irish festivals announced yet which is unusual for them. Think they are nailed on.

Confidence Man - playing a few UK festivals in August including All Points East the Monday before EP.

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - playing End of the Road the same weekend and have an extensive European tour in August with no Irish date. Great at ATN 2022.

Girl in Red - playing Rock en Seine and All Points East late August.

Desire - would love to see these guys. Playing a few European dates and festivals during the summer including Field Day & Parades des Coura two weeks before EP. Does not seem like an act that will appear at the modern version of EP unfortunately.

Fever Ray - another with a decent amount of European dates over the summer and no Irish date. Still in Europe late August.

Foals - not a huge fan but would go and see them which is all I'm looking for at this stage! Another with lots of festival dates in Europe in August but no Irish date.

2manyDJs - seem to be gigging around Europe at the time, always fun to see.

The Chemical Brothers - playing Cork in June so probably unlikely but that is a rescheduled gig AFAIK so maybe.. Playing in France & Wales the weekends either side of Picnic.

Slowdive - playing Green Man two weeks before, not much else going on. Definitely unlikely for the modern day EP.

Christine & the Queens - one or two festival gigs nearby in early August, has played before but have missed her in the past.

The Blaze - brilliant electronic music, have seen them a few times before including EP 2018 (?). Very active around Europe at the time but look pretty busy that weekend.

And finally M83 - by far and away the one I would love to see the most. If it is to be my final EP I cannot think of anything more fitting than him soundtracking one of the evenings. Playing at Lowlands, Pukkelpop & Sziget in August but definitely not getting my hopes up here.

The acts are out there and available on the weekend, many of the above have played at the festival before. The question is which direction the bookers decide to go in. Based on the lineup to date I'm not confident but you never know. I would love nothing more than for them to pull the cat out of the bag and get even a couple of the above (or similar) acts - that's all it takes to give you the spine of a brilliant weekend. Maybe I've grown too cautious and negative in the past 3 or 4 years since I last attended but as this thread has shown time and time again it is the hope that keeps you hanging on in there. One more time can't hurt!

You refer to ‘modern day’ EP twice. I just want to reassure you that despite the commercial element it is more akin to Glasto in trying to cater for all. Last year had two indie headliners (Arctic Monkeys & Tame Impala) plus Fontaines DC, Sleaford Mods, Pixies, Khruangbin, For Those I Love, Bright Eyes, Little Simz, Perfume Genius and about two dozen great young Irish acts.

Most of those you mentioned have played EP in the last decade, including Girl in Red last Sept which I’d say rules her out. I’m unsure which way it’ll go this year but Idles and Amyl are pretty unmissable live. I don’t like much of what I’ve heard this far but last year was a blast and this may yet be again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

99% sure this will be our last EP, heading to ATN for the first time and if its good I think that will take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yes I may be guilty of looking too much at the headliners last year, there were some good acts in there last year. Also as a result of not going I did not dig into the lineup at all, so there were probably some good acts in there that I never listened to. Looking back on old lineups would remind me of how much music and how many acts I discovered due to them playing at Picnic.

This year the announcement is unusual in that they had a mini announcement of 10 or 11 acts in November - normally we get 40 or 50 in the first announcement. So much harder to compare to previous years so far. We will know a lot more by the end of the month. Hopefully you are right in that they do try and keep the music broad to keep everyone happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I’m expecting an announcement the week after Paddy’s Day - let the Bicep 3Arena gig pass, then announce them and others.

I think that’s exactly what’ll happen. Bicep stormed Glasto last June and their EP gig could be a bit special. Apricots was our household tune for the first lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

That's a generous view of last year, Seath. Certainly far less depth to the line up than usual. My 2022 highlights reel was a pretty meagre affair. Did you see anything ladt year that would make it into your top 10 EP gigs? Sleaford Mods maybe? 7 or 8 others that i enjoyed but very little of the magic. I yield to nobody in my affection for EP but as I say, there's a reason I didn't buy my ticket straight away for the first time in 9 picnics. I'll be delighted if they pull it out of the bag with this announcement but I'm not holding out too much hope.

I’d agree with that. The nights were good but most of the daytime choice was pretty poor. I’d never really struggled to fill the time at EP before. Some acts didn’t live up to expectations either, Pixies the poorest I’ve seen them and Conor Oberst (not for the first time) was erratic at best.

However I gave the festival some leeway given it was the first post-lockdown with next to no North American acts touring and almost all other lineups were sub-standard in 2022.

Little Simz and For Those I Love were also two of my all-time great Picnic sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

2nd announcement was March 10th last year, a thursday.

2020 was March 11th Wednesday,

2019 was March 13th Wednesday,

2018 was March 15th Thursday.

It's coming soon, even could be as early as this Friday 10th.

I don't think that should matter, hasn't that gig sold out anyway, I can't see how the EP announcement would affect sales if its already sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

extra tickets released yesterday. normal and written in contracts that festival appearances cannot be announced for acts until their headline shows are done.

Production seats always released late so they’ll want to sell them. Bicep seem a certainty for EP and are now an enormous act here so I think @grudgehugger is right on the timing.

To keep up the momentum of festivals near the EP dates, Lowlands has just added 30 new acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Boygenius, Fever Ray, Nia Archives & Sherelle please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I'd happily take that lineup for EP

Well Gavin James headlining two Irish festivals, The Coronas headlining Sea Sessions, Picture This (?), is there still boy and girl pop bands out there that can destroy the EP lineup, fingers crossed they are touring elsewhere come the time.

Here’s hoping we’re over the worst but I fear not. Some more junk to come and a fair bit of decent stuff. In terms of a great headliner or sub-headliner I fear not.

So not even an announcement of an announcement today.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

I read during the week that Everything But The Girl will be releasing a new album after a long hiatus. Wouldn't mind seeing them play live at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Very unlikely. Tracey thorn hasn't sung on stage since 1999 and i don't think she has any wish to ever do so again.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dany Hitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Yeah, stage fright means little to no chance of EBTG concerts, especially in festivals settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I never knew they were married until recently. I know, been living under a cabbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Announcement week?

Advertisement