Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland v Ireland match Thread by. chat GPT.

Options

Comments

I posted much earlier in the thread that I didn't think Scotland were as good as they'd been made out to be. The wins against Wales and England in context are nothing to overly write home about albeit they were more convincing against Wales than we were.

They pushed France to the wire in France which you would say was a good performance albeit there are questions over France's form (or there were until the weekend).

They were unlucky not to beat Aus in November albeit Aus were missing a lot of key players. Similarly they pushed the AB's though again I surmised that the AB's didn't quite get up for the fixture and probably didn't hit top gear.

In short - they have done more of late than they've done in the past but nothing to suggest that they would beat Ireland at the weekend.

However, with the series of injuries and the scale of disruption caused to Ireland as a result - it was pretty impressive that despite having a very limited bench for most of the game and no set piece, we totally dominated the second half.

Scotland aren't great but to not acknowledge Ireland's performance is to either hugely underestimate them or completely fail to comprehend the impact of losing so many players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

5’5” and 5’9” is a fairly significant difference really. Casey is exceptionally small for and international SH. He’s 2 inches shorter than Stringer. Like Stringer he’s incredibly brave in defence though.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Really huge win yesterday and a really enjoyable one. That sort of win must really build a feeling of momentum within the whole squad.

We didn’t play well for a lot of the game - our accuracy was a touch off, I thought both starting half backs weren’t at their best for us, and we were guilty a few times of overrunning support lines or forcing passes.

That said, when the game was in the boiling pot we were the only team who looked like winning it. The authority we played with in that third quarter was an absolute joy to behold.

Our back three were superb. Keenan just doesn’t make mistakes. He might be the most technically proficient Irish rugby player I can remember. Hansen brings such a spark - and is so obviously a big game player. Lowe is invaluable to us too - he brings so much physicality and presence to our backline. He was excellent again yesterday.

Outside of that - it was an absolutely stellar performance from both James Ryan and Peter O’Mahony, who might have been my MotM. In big moments he played with a real menace to his game and some of his hits yesterday were huge. That moment near the end where he smashes the Scot out over the touchline was like a perfect metaphor of the game for me.

Outside of that - I thought Conan was excellent and I’m delighted for him to have delivered like he did yesterday. His finish for the try was superb.

People who don’t watch much rugby will not appreciate the difficulty of what Cian Healy (and to a lesser extent JvdF) did yesterday but it was truly incredible. I can’t recall it happening in a Tier 1 test match before where a sub prop goes in and scrummages at hooker and we end up dominating their scrum.

If you’re a Scottish fan or player it’s going to be hard to tell yourself you can beat this Irish team in a neutral venue in the RWC when you couldn’t do it yesterday at home with virtually every conceivable break going your way. They flatter to deceive more than any team in world rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

That may be true but I'm not sure JPG could have withstood the early physicality of Scotland. Horses for courses and Farrell got it spot on.

That is madness. He would have been MOM except Hansen was exceptional. He did everything needed for the full 80.

• Advertisement

You can see the scale of development within the squad, not just in terms of how we play but in terms of how we handle adversity that only a few years ago a late bus cost us our composure whereas yesterday we managed unheard of levels of disruption and still won by multiple scores.

It's massively different in a competitive setting with tens of thousands watching on but according to Healy he's scrummed in training from 2 and JVDF throws into the lineout in training also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

McGrath is an excellent rugby player. He has great vision, strong in the tackle, a good kicking game. If he could pass consistently, he'd have been the Irish starter for a good while.

Sadly that if is a mountain.

One other point - our defensive stand at the end of the first half after the Scots kicked to the corner was a huge moment in terms of momentum swings.

Keenan’s hit on Hogg totally stunts their momentum, but the power of James Lowe’s hit to smash their hooker into touch was something else. Lowe is as powerful as a back rower out there for us. Porter deserves huge credit too for having made up the ground to be over there and part of that tackle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I thought Ireland did really well yesterday. Was watching in a pub in Rome so had no commentary. But it looked like a phenomenal performance. Pearce was giving Scotland as much as he possibly could and add in the injury crisis during the game. Ireland had to dig really deep yesterday to weather a storm. Once they settled after everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong, I think Ireland showed Scotland to be the bang average team that they are. Ireland were inches from a 4try bonus point. I think it will serve them well this week that they have it all to do on Saturday.

On Farrell, you have to really commend what he has done. He was part of a coaching ticket where the system was the be all and end all. I think it has been well documented at this stage that it wasn't the most player friendly culture or environment. To see him take the lead and completely flip it is unbelievable. There's no way those players under Schmidt could've played and won in that situation yesterday because there was no deviation from the plan allowed. Under Farrell, it seems clear that the players know how to play what's in front of them. I used to work for a manager who used this line regularly "if there's going to be chaos, let it be organised". Farrell referenced the same yesterday. All the players genuinely seem to enjoy the environment he has created and they're thriving.

The entire pack did an unbelievable job and the back 3 were outstanding. Hugo Keenan is so boringly consistent that I don't think he's getting the recognition he deserves.

Post edited by mr_edge_to_you on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The difference in mental fortitude was obvious on the pitch but also in the coaches comments after the game.

Farrell on the disruption of the injuries, saying something along the lines of the guys were all smiling, saying bring it on.

Towensend said, the guys were a little deflated at half time not to be in the lead.

The Scottish may have improved but it sounds like they are incredibly fragile mentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Someone made the observation before that McGrath is an excellent rugby player but not an excellent scrum-half, which sums it up nicely for me.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

One scenario u missed is the officials don't notice it and you concede a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Honestly I think if JGP had started the game would have been over by half time. Farrell will start JGP v England. Murray has an improved the speed of his delivery this six nations but yesterday was a step backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Murray wasn't great against the Italians either. He threw some pretty poor passes early on yesterday. But the breakdown was a complete mess for the first 50, 55 mins. His defense was massive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Keenan is the best 15 in the 6 Nations for sure. I do think he missed an opportunity to stop Jones in the Scottish try. Ringrose also let him through but neither will be happy. I read that Henshaw managed 8 tackles in 16 mins, good sign for England who could have Tuilagi in midfield.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

He was excellent against Italy?

Came off the bench and made the try that killed the game off?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

One pass that was a peach was Hansen to Conan for the last try. He half dummied and pulled in VDM (poor read) and then zipped it to Conan in space. Intelligent rugby.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Hansen was immense yesterday.

Conans finish was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Theres nothing passive aggressive about my comments. I'm blatantly calling out posters for abusing the ref. I would have quoted all of them but multi-quote wasn't working for me. Criticise a decision but ref abuse shouldn't be part of the game. Just look at the **** storm caused by Rassie's antics.

Heat of the game?? Give me a break. They're not on the pitch, they're from their living rooms. And some of the abuse was post match.

I know ref abuse is perfectly acceptable to some people but it's a bugbear of mine and I call it out. Maybe it's because I've been a referee in the past (not rugby).

As for the match yesterday, I thought it was a great performance by Ireland in the face of some trying circumstances. Also thought Scotland screwed up by not taking advantage of Ireland's issues around the lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Calling posters dickheads for complaining abut a referee is OTT.

I thought the referee was only ok. He didn't have a great game and missed a little too much.

And I am one who really dislikes folks who have a go at sports officials at the drop of a hat.....lot them sitting on their holes pretending they actually have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Calling a ref corrupt because of a few decisions you disagree with is also OTT. (way more OTT, imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Calling posters dickheads for complaining abut a referee is OTT.

Hang on a second, the post in question said that the referee was "corrupt".

Not having a bad day, not inexperienced, not overly picky. Corrupt.

Rassie would have been embarrassed by some of the posting here yesterday. Luke Pearce had a very good game. The absolute worst criticism of him that could reasonably be made is that he should have carded a Scot or two after we scored the tries, big focking deal.

He kept the game flowing, he was tough on backchat, he didn't resort to the TMO excessively. He did everything he should have.

Funny how his performance improved when Ireland got their sh1t together.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree. No need for labeling officials corrupt for errors you believe they are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Agree, thought Pearce was absolutely fine yesterday. The standard of reffing this year has been generally exceptional and considering the pace the game is played at it's even more impressive. I have reffed many games and believe me what these guys do day in day out is remarkable as it's a very tough game to ref.

Are you sure JPG would have coped with the early pressure like Murray did? I'm not. Theres more to the scrum half role than a quick pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Sanctimonious rubbish.

People watching games, of any code, get very excited in their living rooms.

Comparing them with Rassie Erasmus, who criticises and disects the ref performance in cold blood?!! Not to mention his status in the game compared to posters on here. Yeah right.

A few decisions went against us yesterday but I had no problem with the ref. You not getting a warning for labelling anyone who criticises a ref a dickhead is very worrying. That sort of name calling is arrogant, childish and shouldn't be allowed on a forum, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

My thoughts on the game:

Halftime came just in time for us (even down to the fact we didn't have to take the lineout after bundling the Scottish attack into touch). With the front row disruption, it gave us 15 mins to work through the "what now" - JVDF throwing, Healy could go on at 2 etc etc. I'm also not entirely sure, but that also felt like Scotland's last visit to the Irish 22 of the match.

Murray didn't look great, but its hard when the ball is a pisspoor and disrupted. JGP did bring a change, but Scotland were clearly off the first half intensity by then.

JVDF did unreal at lineout time, but for the all the credit he is getting, I though POM did amazing as a receiver for a lot of them. He was always going to be tightly marked at the front, and his spring, timing and aggression to grab the ball were brilliant and helped JVDF "hit his man".

I was a bit deflated at the final whistle, partly because of Ringrose's injury, and we missed 3 chances for BP. But this morning I'm much more content. So many lessons learned yesterday and characters built.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't disagree with any of that; but he has 4 starts in his Ireland career. Nearly a third of his Ireland minutes are made up from RWC warm-up games.

Conversely, DuPont could easily go down as one of the all-time greats.

Any comparisons, even those acknowledging his poor passing, are pretty fanciful, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

2007 Blues v Western Force in Super Rugby - Kevin Mealamu scores from a quick throw in from Ali Williams (illegally as it was a different ball handed to Williams by a ballboy).

Ref was Jonathan Kaplan

2011 Wales v Ireland in 6N - Mike Philips scores from a quick throw in from Matthew Rees in exactly the same circumstances.

Ref was Jonathan Kaplan

You'd wonder sometimes ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

We demolished a very good Scottish team in their own backyard with a third of our team injured and no hooker on the pitch.

Yet all some people want to do is moan about the ref (who was grand). You couldn't make it up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need a sperate thread for moaning about refs.

Advertisement