Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

B.o.I. on some roll at the moment ,I am guessing 10 will be the peak of it .It only all gambling really so dont want to lose out when this one peaks ,who would have guessed shares would be up 10% this year already .Alot of small business are cripiled with energy,insurance and wages so there will be surely be downturn or am i being too prudent .Surely business going burst affect banks but are they covered for this ,house prices seem to be steaming ahead also but for how long more is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

UB and KBC leaving?

Rising ECB rates meaning rising net interest margins?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Nice to see €10 reached today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Reaching 10.50 nowadays ,how long more is left in this rally is the question .Swings of 10 cent are worth 1k to me so not for the faint hearted when the tide turns .Interest rate rises seem to be in the best interest of the irish banks with a couple more interest rises on the horizon so the sun is still shining on this share

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Any news on the dividends for this year. Was 5c last year but I heard 16/17c this year. Still pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭bankboucy

Guess this broke past my 10 target........if ECB rate is heading towards 4%......its not inconceivable that BOI could generate €3bn in net income in that environment.......today it has a market cap of €11bn......thats a P/E under 4........if you ascribe, as I do, do the thesis around a departure from ZIRP......its not inconceivable to see ECB rates never return to zero....and more likely average 2.x%......in that environment BOI's longer run earnings power is likely in mid-2 billion range.

Banks post-GFC are more like utilities......much much safer........and less profitable in terms of RoE.....this robustness however deserves a higher multiple on earnings as the common shareholder is much less likely to be diluted ala GFC........I would pay x12-x13 times cyclically adjusted earnings for these types of banks.

You take what Ive said.........and instead of Bank of Ireland trading at €10 euro a share............you are likely looking at something close to €20 per share..........if share buybacks form a more prominent method of shareholder return.....this could be much much higher over a five year time frame

You've made me happy, I need the share price to reach 18.92 to breakeven!!

The ECB deposit rate was 2.00% at end 2022, is 2.5% now, and will be 3% soon.

It looks like NII will rise by hundreds of millions???

It will rise by closer to 450m for each 1% increase ECB rate over 0%....this is higher than above slide indicates as KBC loan book was not part of the static balance sheet on which this exercise was done.

My math was €1.9bn net income for 2023 with ECB rates at 1%

Then add ~€450m incremental NOI for each 1% above that

ECB hits 4%........you could another €1.35bn to the above €1.9bn to get to €3.25bn in net income

However you would expect some economic distress on the current rate trajectory......so loan loss provisioning would creep up......in fact I would expect that being aggressive with loan loss provisioning (to effectively obscure net income) is what any sensible oligopoly bank would do such that you arent reporting TOO high profits while your customer is struggling with a cost of living crisis.......lest you want to see "windfall tax" and "banks" in the same headline!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That would require the collusion of auditors, and they might not be so amenable these days as in the past.

"The refined definition of material is as follows: “Information is material if omitting, misstating or obscuring it could reasonably be expected to influence decisions that the primary users of general purpose financial statements make on the basis of those financial statements, which provide financial information about a specific reporting entity.” The main changes are embodied in the references to “obscuring”, “could reasonably be expected to” and “primary users”."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When everyone is running in one direction, walk slowly in the opposite, they will catch up

Slava Ukrainii

Auditors and bank regulators live to enforce lax loan loss provisioning…….being ‘prudent’ by modeling extreme adverse scenarios in your risk models and taking a large loan loss provision on your balance sheet…….never got any banker in trouble with his auditor……trouble with shareholders/analysts maybe……..but never auditors/regulators. What are they gonna put a CEO of risky credit institution in prison for being TOO cautious with how they run their banks balance sheet.

If they are concerned about their public image to the extent that they want to obscure large profits, then it would hardly help if that information came out. Especially if the intent is to avoid a windfall tax.

Post edited by dxhound2005 on

Net interest income

2019 = 2,167m

2020 = 2,115m

2021 = 2,219m

2022 H1 = 1,072m

The full 2022 results will be published soon, 07.03.2023

NII is only half the story you’ve also got:

Davy Profits - ~€50m

Trading Revenue - ~€100m

Non-Interest Income (aka a/c fees) - €652m (probably higher ~€675m given volume of accounts that have been opened from folks exiting KBC/Ulster Bank)

The beauty of rising rates for BOI with a cost base around ~1.8bn is you don’t need to hire a single extra staff member to collect more interest income on deposits/mortgages.

Net interest income

2019 = 2,167m

2020 = 2,115m

2021 = 2,219m

2022 = 2,482m

It didn't go up as much as I expected, based on what @bankboucy was saying.

EDIT: expected to be 3bn in 2023.

Don’t forget about 700 - 800m of Revenue which is not net interest income. Your missing a significant source of revenue if your just looking at NII.

I know, yes.

Other income is up 22%, great.

Total income up 10%.

Op profits up 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Looks like the Irish government left alot of money on the table when they sold out below 6 euros last year. But alot of the out performance since then is precisely because they got rid of the Irish government monkey from their back.

It's taken an awful long time since the financial crash for this to start really performing again. The normalisation of interest rates now after the long negative interest rate phenomenon has really pushed this share onwards and upwards.

On the opposite side of the coin the ntma long beneficiaries of the negative interest rate environment and the requirement by banks to hold large amounts of capital in the form of government bonds is back in the market this week tentatively auctioning more bonds. However this time they will have to offer at least 3.2% interest to get them away

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ingeneer

Always thought I'd sell if it got near this price but now tempted to hold on for dividends etc.

It's made up for a bad 2022. Nearly hitting 11euro today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭transylman

Complete overreaction to SIVB this morning with BIRG down 7% so far. Biden has already stepped in to guarantee the SIVB deposits so risk here is low. If you were looking to get in on BOI now looks like a good opportunity.

Not necessarily. This scare is far from over. You have to remember the way the senate and Congress is split in the US.

I think we may only seeing the tip of the iceberg at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭carrickbawn

Is Davy's site down today.?

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭transylman

Not sure about that. SIVB was brought down by conditions very specific to it. https://mobile.twitter.com/RagingVentures/status/1615826088038473733

Can't see this triggering a bank panic like we had back in 08 unless the cover of the deposits is handled catastrophically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I agree very specific reasons and as European banks had a lot of their excess liquidity parked at the ECB on call attracting a variable rate it shouldn’t impact. But saying that once depositors loose faith in the banking sector anything can happen as herd mentality takes over and even a healthy bank can experience a run….it could all start by shorting a bank stock which gives it attention and a few hours later it had run out of cash because of a false rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

Part of this is due to the fact that analysts have factored in more rate hikes in the future. After SVB these hikes look a lot less likely...so banks won't make as much as had been expected.

flip side of that is if inflation keeps going up. Central banks get stuck between banks collapsing or inflation running away. My bet is they would rather a couple of banks collapse/companies lose money and go bust. That puts a load of people into unemployment and removes demand. Inflation drops on lower demand. Job done for central banks. Pain for your average worker.

You never know what is round the corner with shares. All very quiet for a while, with BOI making steady gains. We avoided the damaging headlines, when wiser heads prevailed and they did not do a fraud on the profit figures. "Share price plummets as BOI reveals massive increase in bad loans" (I made that up based on previous posts).

Then on Sunday 12 March RTE reported on a scheme to give the top brass big allocations of shares, instead of bonuses. Some bad publicity there. And this bank collapse in America appeared out of nowhere to muddy the waters.

I suppose the one constant for most shareholders is that they don't mind what a business gets up to, as long as the shares are going up.

Uncertainty to continue early in the day when markets open I expect anyway. Dips before closing in the US.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The important information in the boi financial statements relating to the issues seen with svb

Advertisement