Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

"I don't care though.. it doesn't bother me"

You very obviously do though and it very obviously does!!!

Why start an entire thread on the subject then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭pgj2015

To find out why them fans wont admit football is very poor to watch these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And you got everything except a straight answer unfortunately.

Its largely due to excessive hand passing but the diehards won’t admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The players are not going to go back to the old style. So a player in possession is likely to have a couple of forwards and a couple of defenders from the opposition in close attendance, as well as colleagues from their own team. What is the advantage or why is it so necessary to make them kick the ball a few yards, instead of handpassing it? They might not even have room to swing a leg.

If they choose to handpass in more open play, then that is what they want to do, and they rejected the no more than three handpasses experiment. As a means of propelling a football from one player to another, it is a perfectly logical thing to do. The old way went out a long time ago, and it is only the diehard stick in the muds who think it was some sort of golden era.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Treble double

I wouldn't waste your breath trying yo defend Gaelic Football, there has always been a cohort that have a vendetta against it, let them at it.

I say if you think it's muck watch something else, if you love it don't entertain anyone that trys to run it down.

It's one of our national games, attendances are in rude health, tv viewerships are in rude health.

Enjoy it or watch something else there is plenty of alternatives in today's world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Rule Changes I’d like to see in football that I reckon would improve it.

• Once the ball crosses your own 45, and then crosses the opposition 45, the ball cannot go backwards past those lines. Going backwards results in a free to the opposition.
    • No substitutions after the 30/35 minute mark in a half (if you're not needing them before then, you don't need them at all).
    • 4 players designated as forward only. They cannot play the ball in their own half of the field. These players will be marked out differently from other team-mates by wearing armbands of a different colour from the team’s jersey colours.
    • No fisted points.
    • The ball can be picked off the ground
    • 4 steps allowed after a bounce, 6 steps allowed after a toe- tap to speed up forward running.
    • Amend the blood sub rule. All players lying down on the ground have to leave the field for 60 seconds (the time starts when the player crosses the sideline). Either it’s a genuine injury that needs treatment by which after 60 seconds the blood sub comes on for 3 minutes max before a permanent substitution has to take place, or the player lying down feigning injury is off the field for 60 seconds and has to wait until the ball goes out of play to return. It ensures that players with genuine injuries get safe treatment off the field, and players that are feigning injury are removed form play for a minimum 60 seconds.
    • A player has to leave the field strictly before a sub comes on, and from a designated point on the side-line.
    • All timing/substitutions to be administered by the 4th official, the on-field referee has no role in them.
    • All kickouts have to go past the 45.
    • At the throw in’s, all players bar the four midfielders have to be behind the 45 metre lines.

That’s caveman mentality my friend, every sport can be improved, as can Gaelic Football.

No game stays the same, games evolve and develop as the years go on, and to just leave them as they are shows,in my opinion, very challenged thinking.

It won't happen by people coming on the internet calling the game muck telling people they are cavemen. Just because you have an obsession with the handpass. If you are not already a member, join a club. Explain to the players about how they are doing it all wrong. Get the club to persuade the County delegate to Congress to propose your ideas. It does need a two thirds majority, but anything sensible like making 8 players wear armbands is bound to go through.

Dx… you know very well I’m not telling people they are cavemen, I’m saying that thinking which suggests that games should not evolve and that game rules should not be criticised is caveman thinking.

A straight question for you, being I would say a committed and genuine GAA person who gets involved.

Are you happy with the current GAA football product as an enjoyable and entertaining watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Curling is where it's at these days

• Advertisement

Get up to date horse, Aer Lingus are all Airbus these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Treble double

Ah here, this is my last comment on this, I'll explain it clearly and as simple as I possibly can for you.

The issue for the nay sayers is the very fact that the game is evolving, it has evolved from a man on man catch and kick based game, to a possession based game, with no defined positions on the field.

It will continue to evolve, I wouldn't miss a game with my county involved and as I said previously, people were calling it muck 40 years ago and they will call it muck in 40 years time but it will carry on on its merry way

Just thinking about the good oul days.... good GAA, soccer team makes it to world cup, Aer Lingus has decent aeroplanes

Id say if it turned into rugby, the die hards would still convince themselves its a good watch.

You said that a week ago, and it is still nonsense.

"id say though if Gaelic football turned into rugby, the die hard fans would still say its a great watch, deluded."

Excellent post and very well put , I have to say.

However the real issue here is do we have to accept that without considering how the game is presented

and how entertaining and exciting the watch is.

Are there no improvements which can be made, no tweeks to improve watch ability?

On a recent tv game I counted 47 hand passes in a passage of play without the opposition touching the ball!

Not good viewing could I be so bold to suggest!

End result a free for the opposition!

One of those eh?

Very thirsty machines they were.

I’ll Fexdx you Jethro Tulls best known single.

That shows a massive commitment by the defence. The fitness of the players to be able to execute that is admirable. When that style of play emerged, it was the thing that struck me the most. In the old style most of the players, and certainly the goalkeepers, would be standing around watching the play. Now they have to be involved all over the pitch, often leaving one half of the field nearly deserted.

Uhmm… not really… most of the hand passes were amongst themselves in their own ,say, two thirds of the field.

defense not interested till the ball reached around their 35 metre line .

Just held their spots and shuffled around as the ‘play ‘ went from side to side and backwards.

Shure there you are…..

• Advertisement

And yet there are still points kicked from distance, so the blanket defense isn't effective and players haven't a clue how to tackle.

Most of the players in the blanket defense aren't sprinting around, only half jogging or walking so its not that impressive.

Things seemed to have moved on from the claim that teams only shoot when they are almost certain to score. Perhaps me pointing out the number of wides in games, has changed opinions.

The ‘tackle’ has always been a contentious issue in Gaelic Football.

Nowadays the player in possession gets up close to the defender and then suddenly bursts past protecting the ball so the two main aspects of the tackle -shoulder to shoulder or dislodge with the hand are almost impossible.

Free to the ball carrier is the usual result.

Natural skill, and more importantly training is the key to improving tackling. Practice makes perfect. As a non player, I would always look to those who play the game for guidance.

"Practice makes perfect"

"We do tackling all the time in training because in this day and age there are quality free-takers all over the pitch, left and right side. If you are giving away frees it is basically a score. It is something you have to concentrate on all the time. It is one of our main focuses really."

Good to hear……however..

The current trend is to get up close to a defender then make a rush past them.

I would suggest getting shoulder to shoulder or getting any arm in close in that scenario is extremely difficult which is whooooy as Paschal might say, the usual result is a free to the attacker

We have to tilt things in a way which the ball carrier can’t carry the ball into a potential tackle in that fashion.

As was pointed out by Charlie Harrisson, the player making that rush, has to bounce or solo the ball within four steps. That is where the defender(s) should make their move.

"I always tell kids that the person has to solo or play the ball so you have a lot more time because all you are doing is running and you don't have to worry about the ball.

"A key thing to remember is that it is always the inside arm or the near hand as it is sometimes called. The hand that is closest to the ball. You have to wait until your opponent plays the ball - a solo, a hop or when they kick it - that is your chance to pounce."

Yes ……. but….. my experience is that as I have explained before, the ball carrier makes the rush, in four steps he or she is past the defender to such extent that either of those legitimate tackles are either extremely difficult or nigh impossible.

I see Dublin players doing that again and again …obviously well trained to protect the ball. ..nothing wrong with that of course…. but usually results in a free for the ball carrier… taken from the hand……five or six steps to get a better angle and pop it over.

Not my kind of football I’m sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

What about playing football with a sliotar and hurling with a football instead , problems solved

It would need a lot of analysis to see whether there are more or fewer frees these days compared to the past. And what areas of the field. Free takers such as Charlie Gallagher of Cavan were renowned for the prowess in the old game, and Michael O'Hehir often described the "hoosh" in the back as the method of tackling.

"Sean Boylan said that it had a massive impact on how he would train teams over the years. When he watched Charlie in action, he was known as someone who wouldn't be a great man to train, in the sense that he wouldn't just run laps or that sort of stuff but he was deadly serious when it came to practicing his frees, his sprints and stuff like that.

"Boylan said that he often told Meath players of what he learned from watching Charlie practice. It was pure repetition and he was renowned as the best free taker in the country."

• Advertisement

With all due respect you can’t compare “the past” to the present day regarding frees.

In the past a forward could follow the high ball into the square and as soon as the keeper fielded it could bury him and ball and maybe a few loose teeth in the back the net.

And that’s only one example….let’s not go there .

Advertisement