Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm reading back so apologies for replying to a post from a few days back but just wanted to add a tenants view on this one.

I'm renting my current place for 5 years and have a very good relationship with my landlord. He's not at all proactive but as a rule I leave him alone unless it's anything major, and he in turn charges me a very reasonable rent (although it was rented unfurnished so that would play a part too).

But, the council sent me a letter just before covid hit about doing one of these inspections. It never happened then because of the pandemic but I know of someone who lost their tenancy because of one of these (different county but same requirements) and I've recently received another letter about it and it's scheduled for this week.

I have seen the 7/8 page checklist the guy will be using and excessive is an understatement. The landlord says he'll sort anything out that they identify but I don't think he understands just what's involved. I've spoken to the council and the inspector and he assures me it's not to cause problems with tenants and landlords, but I think it's 50/50 that my landlord will freak out if they present him with a laundry list of mostly unnecessarily items that will cost a lot to rectify. Assuming that he could even get a tradesman in the first place.

I certainly don't want or need the place inspected. Sure there's things that could be done and I tend to take care of smaller things myself rather than chase the landlord about it, but I have a feeling that I'm going to be the one paying the most when this is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Well certainly the ban itself was only very reluctantly instated. However the timing of the exit could be questioned when they don't yet appear to have the necessary supports in place for dealing with the lifting of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Explain to me what supports could have been put in place before the ban ended

Slava Ukrainii

Well I think there's a lot that could be done in providing information. For example, on the tenant-in-situ scheme there seems to be very little information on how to apply for this. No web pages as far as I can see.

It will be 2-3 months before these houses go for sale so plenty of time to get that information up

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

However not true in every case. For example:

This tenant had a "for sale" sign placed outside her home the day the Government announced they were lifting the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I like the part when she wants someone to buy the house for her

I would love to just email the county council demanding them to buy a house for me….

what a country we live in

Would a model

Well it would allow here to continue renting somewhere and avoid homelessness. I don't think she is being unreasonable if she has also looked in the private market and not found anything.

"I have no problem with a landlord selling, it's their choice. It's just there's nowhere to go and there's no help, there's little or no support for anyone to help you rent or to buy," Ellen said.

Can we learn from Vienna in Austria. There are some controls on rents there but generally it seems to work out reasonably well and no mass evictions.

The above 140-square-meter apartment cost €1,200 a month and they don't have the constant threat of eviction.

Yes and the longer the ban went on the worse it was going to get. The reality is that even if the ban was extended there would have to be exemptions and a coach and for would have walked through the exemptions.

Since before COVID there has been LL's pointing out the issues. What was a trickle is now a tsunami. The biggest problem is the opposition's is using it as a political football without a care for the consequences.

Just as an add on, if people were told that you could not get access to there pension lump sum until the government decided it was available or if you were told you could not have access to the money you had in the bank.

The fact is LL are p!ssed off the opposition and charities think more regulations were the answer they now have the answer.

LL's are walking away the left wing section of society and the charities did not want small LL now they have there wish.

It just proves the point be careful what you wish for.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

The devil is in the detail.

"I originally got the eviction notice in March 2022"

The lady also rang Meath county council and asked them to buy her a house!

As a last resort. Wouldn't you too in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Poster made it look like the for sale sign came totally out of the blue.

That the evil landlord wanted her on the street .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I dont really understand what you mean.

Why would a tenant or a landlord not prefer a defined lease? Its in both their interests to know up-front where they stand.

At the moment we have the worst of all situations, its very vague for tenants because no body knows when their landlord will exit, its up in the air for landlords because they dont know what the government will do next to try and fix the mess.

Thats a terrible situation for any tenant not knowing when they could get a termination notice - absolutely stressful way to be living. Much better imo to have everything clearly mapped out so theres no shocks.

If landlords want secure rent and tenants want a secure home for a time period that suits them both, does a defined lease not help with that?

The other thing not spoken of enough is those who are renting privately and NOT getting HAP, welfare or any assistance whatsoever for housing beyond what their salary pays them.

It's not just housing either. Health, utility costs are the same.

It's great to talk about increasing social housing and assistance payments but there are huge numbers in the market who aren't entitled to anything and yet have to pay for it all regardless.

What about those people? They/we are massively unrepresented in the political debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Different landlords want different things.

Tenants, or potential tenants have no possibility to influence anything with regards a rental. Its literally take it or get nothing at the moment.

The idea that both parties would sit down and decide on something that suits them both is laughable because only one person is deciding terms in the current market

I think both sides would be better off with some sort of defined lease as you say. Tenant would know that they have the place for a given period of time with no threat of the landlords family member moving in or being evicted in order to sell the property. Landlord knows that they have a tenant for that period with no vacant periods. The lease could still be broken with agreement from both sides and, of course, eviction would still be possible in cases of severe damage or non-payment of rent.

It is simple, commonsense, business principles.

I've made the mistake of catching up on the Prime Time discussion on this from during the week.

It's the same old thing. Government representative vs SF and more about the parties and grandstanding than the issue.

Our political system is fundamentally broken. It's no wonder so many core and essential functions of Government and State are broken.

In fairness to the politicians, most of them got into the business as local fixers competing with other TDs in the same area attending funerals and the like and arranging jobs and favours for their constituents in order to get reelected. Loyal ones end up getting ministerial positions where they try to mediate between the various vested interests while holding on to their position as long as possible. Expecting understanding, or indeed interest, in national issues is unrealistic.

I think there are some similarities with the financial crisis. Completely oblivious to the oncoming crisis, the Government of the day even belittled those warning that problems were coming. Then when the crisis hit, panic temporary measures were introduced. While these temporary measures were in place, still nothing was done to fix the underlying issues and an even bigger crisis then occurred.

That in the abstract describes both the Government response to the housing crisis and the financial crisis.

I agree that what you described is indeed the problem with our national political system, but that's why I say it's fundamentally broken.

Let's not forget that we also have a big local political establishment as well, and it's those that should be dealing with the local issues and funeral attendances etc.

National politicians should be focusing on the national issues but you're right - the focus across the board is and always has been on keeping their hand in the pot and enriching themselves and their hangers on for as long as they can.

But, the electorate are also at fault for repeatedly electing TDs who fail to deliver. The problem there though is that the "alternatives" are either the other side of the coin or much much worse.

• Advertisement

In related news, 52 people who have been granted international protection are being asked to move into tents to join 79 people already in tents.

In November last year, the department adopted a policy that "over the coming months it will support their move to independent accommodation and self-sufficiency".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Most people don't read full articles. They only read the first couple of paragraphs at best. So they'll think, thanks to RTE's intentionally misdirecting article that the landlord came along out of the blue, no forewarning at all, and put a "For Sale" sign up.

This didn't happen. You have to get to the 9th paragraph to find that out.

Shoddy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That is fair enough. Once they have been granted asylum, they have access to everything a citizen has - such as access to job and SW etc. We hear for years how DP is terrible, but then they get status and can leave it, and they decide to stay there. It has been an issue for the past few years but hasn't really been highlighted.

Paying the landlord directly introduces a moral hazard whereby the landlord doesn't need to fulfil their obligations to the tenant but will get paid anyway.

Don't forget also that it is the landlords business venture and their responsibility to choose tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Reading a SF TD in the indo today. Is the whole thing not a zero sum game, a closed loop system. Zero sum game is defined as one winner and one loser but no net change in overall situation.

One person is evicted so the landlord can sell up. A young couple for example buy it and have a home.

So the social tenant is moved out and the young buyers move in. It's not like the landlord sells it to a demolition company who destroy the house.

The house is still in use just by someone else.

Therefore this comes down to what side you believe is more entitled participate in the housing system. The social tenants or the buyers.

Either way the overall situation on the ground doesn't change.

Is that me interpreting it too simply?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well Yes because there are more than 2 demographics involved that the social tenant and the young couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That is brutal journalism. Reflective of some useless politicians, that can't think long or even medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Not taxed as a business so stop calling it that (you’d think a-have-a-go economist would get that 😂)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Sorry what? You don't understand the word difference between a business and a company hahah

• Advertisement

There are many different types of business venture and business structures. I think you are getting confused with "company" which is one type of structure that you can use. You can set up a company if you like, once you fulfill the requirements, and that corporation will indeed be subject to corporation tax rates. But the company owns the assets/profits and not you. You will be taxed at your personal marginal rate as you extract them (except under certain exemptions that you can try to qualify for)

You're learning a lot from me. Wasn't it yourself that I had to explain how a contractor was not the same as a staff employee? I should be charging you for this.

Post edited by Donald Trump on

Advertisement