Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer laptop?

• 02-09-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I saw this in Soundstore yesterday :

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=377016

I'll need a laptop fairly soon, for college work. It'll be mainly for writing up and stuff, but for now it's the usual multimedia stuff.
    It's not for gaming or anything.

I'll need one fairly soon and I'd love some help :)

I'm fairly knowlegeable about computers but I'm not with Acer so the biggest question is - are they of good quality?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi LiNgWiStIkZ

The latest info I have on Acer is that is nearly impossible to get spare parts for them - particularly after the warranty period is up.

You could be left with a machine just out of warranty which you cannot fix.

Does anyone know if my info is correct?

Paddyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I have one now for the last 6 months nothing worng so far and good quailty for the price it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I have had nothing but negitive experience with acer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I have 2 acer laptops - both Travelmates. The 12.1" is used at home and gets a battering - still running grand after 5 years. The only problem was the left mouse button switch died, which I replaced myself.
    The second is a Travelmate 8200 - Ive been running this every day (work) for about 2.5 years. Hasnt missed a beat.

In that time ive seen Toshibas and latitudes have battery and hardware problems. All in all, I would say that they are as reliable as Dell or Toshiba.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

I own an Acer 5920G for the last 2 years. I treat it with tender love and care and it runs like a new laptop. I've never had any trouble with it in the 2 years and I've used it for:

College write ups
    Photoshop
    Emulator gaming
    Sims 3
    Watching/burning DVDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

I'm writing this on an Acer Travelmate 4000LCi, it's over 5 years old, gets used every day for about 8 hours - the battery has packed in as it's plugged in all of the time, the Wireless card has packed in and now the screen has two stripes ( one darker, one lighter )

If I were to get another laptop ( which is an inevitability ) I would definitely get another Acer.

Any way to defer that for a few more years? any ideas how to fix my problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

w123 wrote: »

Any way to defer that for a few more years? any ideas how to fix my problems?

If you are anyway decent with computer - you could open her up and check the ribbon cable between laptop and screen - might have come loose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

W123, if you want assitance with the trouble you're having, you can start your own thread on the topic. Let's try and keep this thread on-topic.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

voxpop wrote: »
    If you are anyway decent with computer - you could open her up and check the ribbon cable between laptop and screen - might have come loose

Thanks for that, tried it last night but all connections seem fine, input to the screen seems to be split up into five vertical sections all the same size, the first and the fourth and fifth seem fine the second is slightly lighter than the good ones and the third is slightly darker.

Mods, I will start a new thread, but wanted to acknowledge the help received.

New Thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61938262#post61938262

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm fairly knowlegeable about computers but I'm not with Acer so the biggest question is - are they of good quality?

I've a number of Acers here- my main laptop is an Acer 8930G, the wife has a 5810T, I've an Acer Revo and a Studioline machine.

Some of the components in them are crap- such as the Atheros wireless cards- but the inverse of this is they tend to max out the RAM with as high speed RAM as the machines will take (most of the Acer laptops at the moment ship with 4Gb of DDR3 RAM).

If you like your hardware and intend to do any modding- the Insyde H2 'Bios' (its not a BIOS), is annoying as hell. There are very few bios level settings you can change- and some settings which should be enabled by default (such as VTx for processors that support VTx) are not (this means you can't run XP Compatability mode in Windows 7 on an Acer machine).

If you open up any of them- the components are all general commodity components- and can be upgraded very easily with off the shelf components. They haven't taken the shortcuts ASUS have- if you don't specify a component- you get additional upgrade ports (eg. Mini PCI-E ports in a laptop).

In general- you get a lot more laptop for your money in an Acer- that you do from other manufacturers. If something does go wrong- its normally relatively easy to fix. In Ireland they don't have a dedicated Irish support no- you have to use the UK toll-no. which is a right bitch, and Acer's various global websites are a nightmare to use- why they couldn't have a nice simple portal like Dell, is a massive oversight.

If you need your hand held in any way- don't buy an Acer- if you'd like more hardware for your money than you'll likely get from another manufacturer- do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 nialler52

Acer are total rubbish most features work for a while then suddenly don't, avoid like the plague or potholes. trying to get through to service is impossible and from other reports, spares are hard to get or very expensive units come cheap because they don't work and no customer service. my problems won't load certain pages cannot work with outlook and I have an older laptop with which I was not happy tons better than Acer. the problems I have with Acer laptop no problem for even the really old and slow laptop total rubbish avoid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

a 14 year old thread you found to comment on lol welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Norton_user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

No idea why they kept all these old threads when they created the new forum. Made no sense. Even today they should be all deleted and archived. Lighten the load on the current forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

the topics are likely linked from google

Advertisement