Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying calves

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Or a prevention treatment like rispoval or a coccidiosis dose. Or just marking calves to sell. I don't think I've ever marked a sick calf, so your logic would totally backfire if you were buying off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A tip for the young relative is to buy a cheap clear 1lt plastic jug, weigh the jug and then add 125g in the jug and mark it with a permanent marker, then weigh out 250grms and mark it - for mixing 2 litres. 250 grms would nearly be the full of the jug. It will help him be consistent with the powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We always mark calves that have got rispoval with a red dot and a yellow/green dot for when the got bovicox coccidiosis prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’ve been doing it for about 5 years now and it’s a game changer compared to squeezing at 6-7 months. I do them under 7 days old - they get dehorned, tagged and banded in the one go. Never an issue and as you say, just need to be careful that the two balls are down.

• Advertisement

A few Angus heifers. Could get them away at 20 months compared to plain freisians where you will be stuck with them for 30 months.

No disbudding or squeezing as well and Angus live away outside for 10 months of the year.

@patsy_mccabe - a correction on the jug of milk powder. 500g would be nearly the full of the jug. I used to use 1 full jug to mix milk for two calves - 2 litres each iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Do ye notice any difference in the development in the development of the animal at say 24 months when you band them vs just using the burdizzo on them later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I finish just under 30 months. I’ve had 2 or 3 years of killing these type of lads. My kill out has gone up on average 20-30kgs in that time. Now I have done a fair bit of reseeding and more paddocks in the system so that will play a part too so can’t definitively say either way but the burdizzo is retired anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, I got 653g for 950ml in the jug. So 1 Litre of milk powder weighs 690grams or 700 grams approx.

(Sorry loaded from phone which is acting up big time on Boards now.)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

I'd start them off on 125g/l until they get used to the cmr. If they are strong calves you can increase it over a few days. Your jug weighing 653g is equivalent to 163g/l to feed two calves two litres each which is about the most I would give and that would be nearer to when they are going to be weaned and on oad feeds - dairy farmers will feed more to replacement heifers but they are a different scenario. I recommend that he get a intranasal vaccine for them for his/her Vet, something like Rispoval RS+PI3 or Bovilis RSP, both come in 5 dose vials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Looking at the on line calf sale, I see see red Hereford bulls not making as much as similar quality black ones. I am only looking on line so not fully sure what they are like but the red ones look OK. Personally I prefer the red hereford as they seem to thrive better with me, I put it down to them having better hereford genes to the black herefords. But are people thinking that a red hereford now is more likely out of a je bred cow?

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

I find it very disappointing that Carnaross mart are not showing the dam's breed code on the LSL platform considering that they were behind it's development. However they are weighing calves and showing the weights. They used to show the dam breed code up to a couple of months ago - I wonder why they changed . Carrigallen mart (also on LSL) show the dam's breed code in all their rings but don't weigh the calves.

I think DAFM need to contact all livestock marts and ensure that potential buyers both ringside and online have all the information on the blue card regarding livestock that are presented for sale in the ring. I understand that due to GDPR some marts show the sellers name/details (no playback option) and others not. There should be consistency across all the marts that have online presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There should definitely be consistency

Calves should be weighted, sire and dam breed, sellers details and in the long-term terminal beef value as well.

Slava Ukrainii

Just as an add on 25-40 day Friesian calves are good value at present 40-70 euro in Gortnalea

Slava Ukrainii

TBH I don't have a issue with the sellers name/details not showing with online sales as long as the other information is available. I have noticed recently that a couple of marts that I watch online are also not showing "days in herd" for livestock that are on two or more residencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

When you sell cattle in Carnaross the sellers name and address comes up on the boards in the mart but not on the LSL app on your phone which i find strange. Are all marts on LSL the same?

The thing about it is that all information should be available. Hat effect you at one mart may not at another. If it a farmer with seriously number of cows with hired labour are his workers feeding adequate colostrum to calves.

Calves have natural antibodies until about 14+ days it then the issue with inadequate colostrum show up

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I fully agree with you @Base price if you are buying on line you should be able to see the same information as if you were in the mart. There is some farmers who stock I would always try to buy if they have what I am looking for when I am buying as previously their stock has done well for me. There has to be a way of showing it on live sales but not on the replays.

They should all also display the dams breed as it would take a little bit of the guess work out of it. There is bou

The reason the sellers name isn't shown online with LSL in Carnaross, Carrigallen and some other marts is because they offer a playback option if you pay extra for that service - it has something to do with GDPR legislation. Marts like Granard and I think Delvin show the sellers name and address when you are watching live online but those marts do not offer the playback option. Ballyduff is the same on the MartEye platform - you can see the sellers name/address online and they also don't offer a playback option.

AFAIK, personal information (name/address) that is uploaded from a mart to the interweb is available for all to see indefinitely and that is why GDPR legislation kicks in - however I stand corrected.

Post edited by Base price on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭50HX

I rang Gortatlea about this before round the time online began and was told to it was to do with gdpr that the sellers name not shown

I pointed out that other marts were showing it & was given the reply that its not our policy to show it

Advertisement