Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

When Harry (allegedly) got dog bowled by his (definitely) psychopathic brother he rang his therapist straight after. During that same time, when his wife (allegedly) told him she didn't want to be alive anymore he didn't know what to do because he was being "institutional Harry". I don't know whose mental gymnastics are more impressive - the Sussexes or people zealously defending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Lets just say that you are amazing at data analytics and in your research discover that more women get labeled narcissists than men.

What does that prove?

Does that finding invalidate my arguments?

Ill save you the trouble. Its proves nothing and in no way invalidates my arguments. You are simply trying to accuse me of being a woman hater without directly saying it. Thats a familiar tactic....Is that you Markle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

C'omon. Look at Harry in that footage, when she is saying it. He is clearly embarrassed with her lying. But you won't see it, I am afraid...

Post edited by JoChervil on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

What a man to sort out his own issues but felt unable to help his suicidal, pregnant wife..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Why is it that we keep suspending reality, in order to accommodate the alternative narrative being put forward by H&M, when it is clearly - searches for appropriate word - bonkers to actually believe anything that issues from their mouths. Or their "sources close to" press releases. Or their fixated maniacal grins when "unexpectedly" papped; following a quick call to whichever photographer is on speed dial.

I feel sorry for the Prince and Princess offspring. They have done absolutely nothing to inherit this sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Well, he deems his own mental health worthy of a phone call but appears to be flummoxed when his wife needs help.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Perhaps there is something more sinister at play for people's hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

And it is unbelievable, that people are still discussing their lies from Oprah's interview. It was 3 years ago! And these lies were proven lies so many times.

• Advertisement

And still went out that night to a royal function. So considerate..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Has to be, her alleged "crimes" are hilariously weak to garner so much prolific malevolence.

Honestly I have no idea, I wouldn't be that knowledgeable about it, like I already stated.

This lady seems to know what she is talking about though.

Ok Im going to get a bit serious for a moment. It might not be clear, but in general, the spirit behind my posts here is meant in a fairly lighthearted manner. This isnt a super serious, important topic for the most part. I actually do find many of your contrarian, trolling posts in a way entertaining. The thread would be far less active and drier without posters like yourself.

But you are very close to crossing a line now I think. You are strongly implying that I'm a sexist and/or racist for disliking Markle. That is not cool. I've repeatedly made my position clear. Now you throw this nonsense article out there? That article is a joke, it basically states that anyone that criticizes Markle is sexist and/or racist and thats that. Id imagine that article was aimed more at the Jeremy Clarkson level of critique to be honest. In that case yes, the motives behind the vitriol of his attack should be questioned.

You know full well that most posters in here on the anti-H&M side have been super reasonable and have been posting their opinions without prejudice. I've not seen any sexist or racist posts and the lack of mod intervention would back me up on that.

The criticism is not aimed squarely at Markle. Harry gets it really rough too. For me like Ive mentioned its the narcissim side Im interested in, not so much the dopey crybaby.

I would appreciate you taking the foot off the gas a bit with the accusations directed at us in the forum.

Id imagine that article was aimed more at the Jeremy Clarkson level of critique to be honest

Not at all, she speaks more about the covert insidiousness and how is just as damaging as the overt incel type ranting that Clarkson indulged in.

But you are very close to crossing a line now I think. You are strongly implying that I'm a sexist and/or racist for disliking Markle. That is not cool

I'm implying no such thing.

You asked me a question, in fact goaded me for a response, I said I wasn't qualified to answer and I linked to an opinion from an expert that I had read the other day.

IMO which I am fully entitled to have, the malevolence towards that lady is unwarranted and the excuses for it are weak.

And for the record, I am not the only one who thinks in general there is more at play here.

It's clear as day that, sadly, misogyny and racism exist in many forms, but to try to infer that every negative comment about Meghan falls neatly into those categories - and let's add class in as well, so we can complete the three-way "intersectionality" - is manifestly wrong.

As I've said before, I had high hopes that the so-called "fab four" could usher in a new, modern and relatable monarchy. However, Meghan and Harry soon torpedoed that notion. My issues with Meghan and Harry concern the "spin" that they put on nearly everything they say, do or infer, all of which is designed to portray them as victims, to be pitied. Do me a favour!

That is bullsh1t plain and simple. I put forth the reasons I don't like Markle. You said you don't believe me and then went on to say in the same post that isnt it interesting that it's usually women accused of narcissism.

I then pointed out that even if you were correct that wouldn't invalidate my points and then you hit back with an article stating that any criticism of Markle is covertly sexist and/or racist.

And you aren't implying anything? FFS

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That's a fair point - Anyone who came on this thread that has been nasty about her appearance has actually been challenged by the very posters here who are supposedly against her. The die-hard Meghan haters do come in occasionally but they for the most part realise pretty quickly that stuff like that isn't welcome here go elsewhere bored that nobody is engaging with their nonsense.

For the most part, we are discussing their own actions and their own words. Nobody here thinks she's evil but many of us do think that she's evasive with the truth sometimes and may be quite manipulative. That's not much shade on Meghan, you'd be struggling to find a politician anywhere without either of those traits!

To me she seems like someone who has gone into her career with a strong focus on success, she was acting but also diversified with her blog which seemed to be popular, and even if she was strategic in engineering introductions to men of high wealth or influence before/when she met Harry - I actually don't see anything much wrong with that strategy. Fair play to her for knowing what she wants in life and going all in to get it. I've said many times on this thread that I was glad that the RF had someone of colour, someone who doesn't have BRIT stamped through them like a Blackpool stick of rock, in their ranks. Had she been more docile, less ambitious, and a bit more clued in on the RF, she could have been a roaring success. But she didn't want that - she's only working with the same career strategy she had at the beginning - get successful, get famous, get extremely wealthy in any way that she can. And I still think that there's nothing really wrong with that.

It's just that I don't really think that they have been all that smart in how they marketed themselves. They saw the success of the Oprah interview and carried on with the tea-spilling. But that kind of killed off the golden goose after the last few years, it's more or less alienated them from potential (and lucrative) collaborations within the entertainment industry or celebrity network and cut them off from their family, so it will be interesting to see where it'll go next.

• Advertisement

If you are just going to dismiss every opinion that opposes yours as "a joke" or "bullshít", there is much point in debating with you is there?

That's a fair point - Anyone who came on this thread that has been nasty about her appearance has actually been challenged by the very posters here who are supposedly against her.

Have you examples of this?

You ignored almost everything I said in my comment. Conveniently. You are the one dismissing opinions that don't agree with you. You are impossible to deal with and it's crystal clear now you have no interest in debating this at all.

Anyone that is genuinely open to discussion on the other side of the fence I'll happily talk to. But I'm done with the wind up merchants now.

You've taken it too far and made it personal.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Well, the thread is 15k posts and three years long. But I remember a post where a poster made a remark about her hair and questioning why she straightened it if she was a proud woman of colour (or something to that effect, I'm paraphrasing) and got their arse handed to them about it.

There's also been comments about how she's not really black, clear trolling attempts, and they've either been reported / threadbanned. As well as that, I've defended her (the big hater that I am) when a poster will say something horrible about her - someone said she was ugly and I said that no, actually she's a gorgeous looking woman - and she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Agreed. There is/was no quarter given for people commenting negatively on their looks and fashion. In addition there is a brilliant lack of discussion about actual conspiracy theories surrounding them which are out there and discussed as if they were true (e.g. moon bumps, paid for bot farms, yacht girl, beating up sex workers etc.). These things are the domain of actual hatred i.e. latching onto such things as it is selective bias and disregarding an actual lack of evidence for such toxic BS. Some of that crap is QAnon level crazy.

I think what actually prolongs this to the point where a thread here can exceed 15k posts is that there is a lack of counter points, clapbacks and the other side response from the Royal family. Nature abhors a vacuum and thus it leads to inference and speculation to try and fill in the gaps so to speak as to what the feelings, logical thinking and counter points might be. I know I certainly do that.

The news of Meghan marrying into the family couldn't be escaped and I thought at the time that it was a positive. A professional actress of mixed race marrying a troubled Prince who was clearly smitten. You couldn't help but be supportive of that. With my wifes family we watched the wedding and thereafter I thought no more about it all. For me the side eye cropped up during the Bradby ITV interview in South Africa but even then the benefit of the doubt was there. The tabloids at the time were doing what the tabloids do to any high profile people in sniffing out whatever stories they could. It certainly isn't easy to live through that media glare. Even with Megxit I was on their side for that. They were not happy and wanted out. Fair play to them, go live life on your own terms. They left and the world pre-occupied itself with dealing with a pandemic. Then, in the middle of that, the incessant victim playing kicked in starting with Oprah, hasn't ceased and I obviously haven't been siding with them since.

Post edited by valoren on

I reserve the right to criticise what she wears. Those, like opinions are choices. They aren't intrinsic to who she is

Going into a Harlem school to read stories to disadvantaged children in an ensemble that cost a fortune was a bad PR move. That coat was 5k, the matching pants about 1.5k and the Manolo Blaniks on her feet weren't cheap either. Add in her jewellery and you can double the amount again. She looked lovely but the optics bombed.

Similarly the red dress she wore before - stunning dress, on a stunning woman but very poorly tailored for her. At her A++ level status, anything she wears by any designer should be fitted perfectly. Likewise, her wedding dress - for the cream of French couture, was poorly fitted around the neckline & underarm.

I tend to notice those things because dressmaking is a hobby of mine and I'm a tad fascinated by couture tailoring so red carpet events is the only place really where I can get my fix. 😳 FWIW, this isn't Meghan specific for me. When I was a kid I had a scrapbook (remember them??) with Di and Fergie and other Euro royals in their fancy outfits and jewels. And I've been equally critical of some of the stuff worn by Kate or Sophie if I felt it didn't do them justice.

Interestingly, in the article in The Independent you posted about, Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu warned about people who request “examples”, adding “they expect you to do the work for them to unpick”

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

And trying to imply that none of the comments are down to misogyny and racism is even more ridiculous.

• Advertisement

If that's aimed at me, I didn't say or imply that at all. Some of the comments about MM - and I'm thinking Twitter especially - are down to the intersectionality (what a great word, eh?) of misogyny and racism. The ones that relate to class would obviously include the comments being made about their sense of entitlement, which is strong in this pair. A kind of reversed one-upmanship.

Advertisement