Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest live concert you've ever attended

Options
  • 13-03-2023 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Ok - i'll start this one.

Pink Floyd - Earls Court Oct' 1994........was lucky to get a spare ticket from my cousin in London.

What a memorable gig which i still vividly remember - the musicianship and light show has never been bettered almost 30 years on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP I made it to Manchester for the tour before in 1988, don't know about best Pink Floyd performance, but mine would be Electric Picnic gigs, Iggy Pop & the Stooges at EP 2007, followed by LCD Soundsystem's debut at EP 2005 and Portishead at the 2014 EP. I will also add Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets gig in Dublin last year which was amazing, with Gary Kemp actually sounding great on the Syd Barrett numbers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Aerosmith, Hershey Park, Pensylvania, 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Slane 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Kate Bush, Hammersmith Odeon, 2014

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bruce Springsteen, Slane 1985 (😱)

Not just the venue, and the blisteringly beautiful day, and the fact that my leaving cert was starting the following week.

Hands down the best live performance I've ever seen, he absolutely rocked the place, for almost 4 hours non stop.

ETA - With an honourable mention to Billy Joel, who after a lifetime of loving his music I finally got to see a few years ago in the Point/O2/whatever it's called. Plenty posters on here were like "ah he'll start a few of the songs, and the audience will do the rest, he's a busted flush" - well, how wrong they were! I was blown away by his voice, it was an amazing concert. I just hate the venue, and would love to see him somewhere decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Toss up between Green Day in the SFX c.1997 and RHCP in Slane c.2003 (I'm terrible with dates)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Glastonbury's 25th anniversary 1995, hopped the fence, try that these days!

Portishead in the acoustic tent after a late and drunk Evan Dando got bottled off stage. Tricky, Pulp, Orbital, Oasis, Massive Attack, The Verve, Leftfield, Prodigy.........

Post edited by Inquitus on

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

U2 Slane 2001. Squeeze in the Olympia '95. Self Aid '86.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Radiohead, Punchestown 2000. Kid A was only released 5 days before so it was completely new but incredible to see them perform almost the whole album live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

As a snapshot - moment in time, that is probably mine also. I’ve seen them on every tour since, sometimes multiple times, but the very first time you see a really great band, thats a unique magical moment, and they really left me, with a Holy Fxxx moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Bowie in the Olympia '97. He was amazing.

or Beck in the Olympia - The theatrics was beautiful. A table brought on for the band to relax around while Beck played some acoustic songs. The band slowly rearrange the table so they end up playing wine glasses, the fruit was shakers etc.

or Prodigy in the Olympia - That was insane. So loud. So hot. So many topless men.

I love the Olympia (once you get past the balcony seats)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

couple that spring to mind are Neil Young and Crazy Horse and Blondie in 1996 and 1999 respectively, both brilliant gigs in the old Point.

Queen + Paul Rodgers in 2005 at the Point was pretty memorable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

Springsteen Slane 85.

The music the venue the fabulous day and Charlotte from donegal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

A few come to mind. Suede at the tivoli, divine comedy at dublin Castle, therapy at the sfx and Frank black...can't remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Paul McCartney in Glasgow December 2018, genuinely felt humbled to have been at the show.

Meshuggah, Vicar Street, January 2017. Best metal gig Ive ever been to, was 4 or 5 rows back from the front of the stage and I can only describe it feeling like I was being pummeled in the head repeatedly by a silver back gorilla, in the best possible way.

Honorable mention goes to Sabbath in the 3 arena in January 2017. Not that it was a particularly mind-blowing gig in and of itself, but I was a Sabbath fan for a long time and it was the first chance Id had to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Everlong1

U2, Croke Park, 1985. They were touring the Unforgettable Fire album which was a massive turning point in their development. They were on the cusp of becoming the planet rogering behemoth we know and love today - this gig was a month before their legendary Live Aid appearance. A very special gig with an incredible atmosphere.

Special mention to Bowie's two nights in the Point in 2003. It was his last dates before he retired from live touring due to ill health. A great spectrum of songs from across his entire career. Being in the middle of 8,000 people singing along to Life On Mars is one of my happiest gig memories ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pauly58

Stiff Little Fingers supporting Tom Robinson, Third World had pulled out from the tour & they came over at the last minute, they were red hot & everyone was asking who are they, couldn't understand Jake's accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭nice bit of green

Haven’t actually been to that many concerts but they were all acts I really wanted to see so have great memories.

Oasis the point 96 or Bruno Mars the point about 2013/4.

honourable mention James Brown & Roni Size also in the point 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Daft Punk in Marlay Park was really good.

I also saw Underworld in the old Mean Fiddler, Halloween 1995 - that was a great gig, they were still under the grips of the global radar at the time, it was a nice cosy rave up, great gig.

I passed out after snogging a 15 stone Goth at the Cure in the basketball Arena in Hamburg in 1999, that was awesome, the gig btw, that goth may not have even been female, Skunk was widely available in Germany in the last Century.

Some of the best gigs I was at were in your average Bent Elbow county midlands road house. The 4 of Us at the Lavey Inn in 1990 springs to mind, or Moving Hearts playing in Miltown Malby when I should have been in bed.

I drank pints and chatted all thought the early hours with Primal Scream, Robbie Williams and Hulk Hogan's daughter ( yep you read that correctly ) after a Depeche Mode concert, that happened. Brooke was necking GoldSchlaager shots like the world was going to end, I am still pinching myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Slane '85 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Airbourne Ambassador 2008.

Black Country Communion Vicar Street 2011.

Joanne Shaw Taylor Whelans 2015.

Joe Satriani Vicar Street 2016.

Saw Doctors Knocknarea Arena 2016.

Eric Gales Ballyshannon 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Feile cork 95. Hitched from Sligo. Super line up from madness to stone roses. Remember Chemical brothers finishing in dance tent and everyone moved to the main stand for stone roses and orbital. Super super line up. Even stoped off in sr Henry’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Toss up between three:

Sonic Youth, Top Hat Dun Laoghaire 1991, supported by Nirvana

Godspeed you! Back Emperor, Ambassador 2002, supported by The Jimmy Cake

Primal Scream SFX 1992, supported by Andy Weatherall

Hats off to those who saw Pink Floyd. During my concert going years I understand that big light wheel couldn't fit into any suitable venue in the country so they never arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭HBC08

Oasis in the Point march 1996 was a special gig.It was the last time they'd play indoor venues that size.

The Point at time was standing downstairs and they weren't too strict letting people from the seated upper tier come down.It was dangerous but mad exciting for young lads who didn't know any better.

That night was the most mental I'd ever seen it,I'll never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Thin Lizzy Leeds queen's hall 1983

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Muse ....Olympia Theatre in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Rammstein in Dublin 2012.

Incredible atmosphere, incredible setlist, incredible pyrotechnics.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

Still after all these years, Ozzy in McGonagles in 1991 and I've seen plenty of excellent gigs it was pretty special.

Last year Nine Inch Nails in Las Vegas was the best I'd seen in a long time a real assault on the senses, blown away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Ozzy Osbourne - 1991, McGonagles. He did a couple of one off rehearsal shows for an upcoming world tour. The place was jammed with sweat pouring off the walls. Everyone I have spoken to that was at it has it down as their number one. Even got a couple of Black Sabbath songs in.

Dance Valley - 1996, Amsterdam (Sloterdijk). Danny Rampling, Eat Static, Billy Nasty, Propellerheads, Doc Scott to name a few. It was the second iteration of a festival has now grown to 90,000 attendance figures and became a blueprint for electronic dance festivals. 

Dweezil Zappa - 2018, Vicar Street. He played four dates in Europe and this would be one. Seated with tables they played Frank Zappa songs for three hours to an unbelievably high standard.

Advertisement