Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos - Closing Down Sale

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at a few of the clearance items online, they seem to be priced much higher in Argos e.g. Garmin Edge Explore GPS Bike Computer

is €200 in the Argos clearance whereas if I look online, it is under €170

(for reference, tehre is an Explore 2 for sale inArgos for €300 but the above isn't it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Doodah7

They have had a 'Clearance' section for YEARS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Agree a lot of their Clearance items don't appear to be great prices.

Hopefully there will be big price drops before March 22 as they don't want to be stuck with a load of large sized stock such as sofas once the delivery only service ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Argos Ireland wont be too worried about surplus stock once they shut up shop here - they will just redistribute everything to their NI stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

I thought all of their large size stock came in from UK on a "just in time" basis - i.e., it wasn't brought into Ireland unless there was an order? Did they have large warehouses here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭minimary

A few of them are closing earlier so we should have an idea if they'll do a big closing down when Portlaoise closes on May 6th

"The company told its workforce that its retail outlet in Portlaoise would close on May 6 with the one in St Stephen’s Green shopping centre, Dublin, closing a week later. Galway will close on June 10 and Kilkenny on June 25. All remaining stores are currently scheduled to shutter on June 24, the company communicated to staff."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

There'll be a few bits of electronics without the UKCA stamp which they won't be able to ship back to the UK. I've picked up some hard drives so far and I'd expect a few more bits to be reduced over the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Only applies in great Britain though, not NI. And in any case, not being enforced until 2025.

The only stuff I could see them flogging off cheap would be low-value bits and bobs that would be uneconomic to pack up and redistribute to other stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Spn744

I wonder what they’re doing with all their stock as they don’t seem to be having a sale on items or a clearance. Surprised as I expected something like GameStop are currently offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Strange because in April they were heavily reducing some items. I got a Spears and Jackson battery Lawnmower for €55 and a Challenge air-conditioning until for €85.

There was also a Dyson air purifier for €280.

I presumed at that stage they were testing the waters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just picked a product at random from the argos front page - a tefal air fryer for €130. the same one is €90 on the power city website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,829 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Spn744

Presumed the same but surprised because of the VAT issues after brexit. Shame though, thought there would be bargains to be had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

I'm genuinely surprised Argos lasted so long over here. It's like they had no-one at the wheel for the last 10 years, just jacked the GBBP prices up by a set percentage, and even the website was left to die (how many weird ways were there just to check stock in a store??)

Such a shame, too. To think they had convenience buying nailed 30 or more years ago and just never made the most of the internet when it came along.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Each store has a selection of TVs on display, I assume they will be sold off rather than shipped back to UK. No idea how that would be managed, probably have to be a weekend set aside for selling stock out on display.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Screen on full blast during opening hours, no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes you would want to be getting at 25% retail price and see them working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ECookie13

The burn in on those TVs would likely be crazy, you'd want it on max brightness all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

I had my eye on a Tefal Fryer - it was €75 and now it is showing as €95.

I bought a Hand blender for €19 last week, it is now showing as €26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Clearly it's business as normal until the bitter end. It will probably make up part of the redundancy.

It will probably make up part of the redundancy.

Jeebuz, do you mean some of the inventory will be part of their redundancy package ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭JDxtra

No, that certainly won't be the case. From my understanding the staff are being treated fairly in terms of their redundancy.

In terms of a sale, doesn't look like anything much so far - I'm guessing all the unsold higher value items will just go back to the UK.

I was in a store recently... very bleak!

Also some weird (i.e. poor!) decisions on stock and pricing in Ireland.

For example, they have 2 x Humax Freeview recievers (item #940/6674) in Liffey Valley Argos. They have been sitting on a shelf for at least two years. Nobody will buy these because they don't work here! And yet, they are still listed at full price and listed online.

A proper review of stock would have flagged this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Mr321

A store assistant told me they are sending any remaining stock back to the north and UK warehouses.

Can't see there being much of a clearance sale only on stuff that was returned and opened maybe. Infact, some items were reduced for a few days then put back up to a higher price.

Would have thought with Brexit, it would be a hassle with customs paperwork to move products back into the UK. Either way managed to bag few bargains in the last few weeks/months while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

They had a big clearance a while ago, I'm expecting another now soon

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I picked up an Elite TUO trainer in Nutgrove for €115 at the weekend. It was behind the counter when I went to pick up the Werner platform and I couldn't say no for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Mr321

Yea I said that to and the argos store manager said that would be the more convenient thing but Sainsburys say no.

Shops wernt carrying alot of stock though the last few years. Was an order and wait from a warehouse in Ashbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I might have one for sale. Bought on impulse, put it together, but never see myself using it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

The stock was/is coming from uk warehouses there is no Irish distribution centre

You have hub spoke set up which is still running , bigger stores fulfilling orders to smaller stores. (Last 4 years or so )

Trailers come from uk via ferry and picked up in Dublin , stock delivered and overstocks etc returned on these trailers

Advertisement