Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

I actually picked up two JBL Links from the JBL UK site. Richersounds did not have any in stock and didn't know when they would be in stock. The JBL site had them at half price so they may be discontinuing them. Had to get them delivered to a UK address though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Are they ever going integrate hue zones with google home?very annoying not being able to ask google to switch off an entire zone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The bug with playing any RTÉ stations is back for me this morning. Just hangs there with the logo and the 'loading' bar. Then the hub failed to recognise commands to play alternate stations on TuneIn from voice, had to select it from the screen when it came up as an option. Is the problem with RTÉ, TuneIn, or Google?

The functionality of the hub is coming into question in my house these days. Cannot play RTE Radio 1 on two of hem; but RTE Radio 1 will play on any of the Google speakers and Alexa also plays it on a display

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah same here. Minis are fine, hub is broken.

I "send feedback" once a day.

I think the last time this happened, it was gone for 3 or 4 weeks.

• Advertisement

And like last year, it's back, 4 weeks later. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

RTE stations gone for me again

This is a complete pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yep. Gone for me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Same here. On all home devices and not just the hub this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Same

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Same here and I can't even cast from TuneIn on my phone to one of the devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

None of my can respond to "what time is it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭fman

Same here with rte channels, speakers are working fine besides, even with other channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

All this stuff we hear about AI over the last few months and they can't make a device that can play a radio station consistently or tell the time 😁 Although I'm guessing the RTE radio issues are to do with RTE. I bought a Home Hub for my Mam. Got fed up with trying to troubleshoot RTE (I get blamed as I introduced the device to her house) and bought her an old radio that works 100% of the time.

The potential for Google Home and Alexa is great but there's been no functionality added over the last couple of years that I'm aware of. All I seem to use mine for is to set an alarm or turn off lights (and they lose connection to random lights occasionally too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I emailed RTÉ about this issue & got the following response:

Thanks for getting in touch with the Information Office. These issues are something we're aware of and we have been liaising with these third-party providers (Google, TuneIn, Apple) to identify what has changed and what resolution can be reached. Unfortunately, we have no information or timeline for a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

We have google home devices dotted around the house, and they work well for the most part. I love how we can play music on a combination of the speakers, depending on the need. We had a bit of a party on Friday, and I found that the speakers weren't quite loud enough. I put my google home audio and original google home in the same room, both on full blast, which kindof did the trick, but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with any other beefier speakers? I don't want to lose any of the google assistant features, so I'm a bit wary of moving to a third party speaker.

Isn't it odd that it will work with Alexa and Alexa gets the link from TuneIn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I have a third party speaker (Harmon kardon citation 500), and the sound quality and capability (loudness) is fantastic.

However, as your other point, it does not keep up to date with Google features, such as voice calling is not possible with it. I raised an issue on this with Harmon and they basically said they have no plans to keep up to date with these type of features.

So, I think steer away from them, try and keep to Google manufactured speakers, and I think doubling up/pairing the latest Google home speakers gives excellent sound quality almost compatible to the Harmon, but guarantees all the features, and is actually cheaper

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen that speaker before. I don't mind the lack of calling, since I don't use that feature anyway, but perhaps getting a couple of nest audios is the way to go from a value perspective. I'd just have 1 in the room most of the time, and then if it's a party, I can plug in the second. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

The harmon Costs about 400 euro, and no doubt the audio quality is excellent, but it's frustrating knowing that it won't keep up with Google features despite it being a Google assistant speaker as advertised.

At 400 euro and with the fact that it will not keep up to date with the latest Google features, I would not recommend it, and instead, if I had the chance again, I would purchase 2 of the latest Google devices and pair them. I think the audio quality will not be far off what you get with the Harmon for most uses. Either that or the Google max speaker, but I think they have stopped producing those.

Yeah they discontinued the google max speaker, which seems odd to me - but I'm sure there's a reason. Interesting also that Sonos just released new speakers and have moved away from google integration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭fman

The Sonos thing is an ongoing legal battle between the 2. Nothing to confirm that the new stuff will or won't include Google long term, but yes if that's your main worry then avoid the new Sonos stuff for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭majo

Like some of the other posters here, no RTE radio stations are playing on my Google Nest for the past few days.

Very frustrating, as all the non-RTE stations are playing without any problem.

Would you mind sharing the RTE email address that you used please? Maybe if enough people contact them, they might actually look into this issue properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

It’s back! As of this evening I’m able to get RTÉ Radio 1 & LyricFM on my Google Nest. I haven’t tried my Google Home yet.

For future reference the email address I used to contact RTÉ was : Info@rte.ie

Back for me too (hub). Thank God!

I see Samantha Libreri (RTÉ) was tweeting about this issue yesterday. Maybe that got them to look into it properly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

A load of responses, too, from people with the same problem - wasn't working on Alexa either, apparently. Fixed now, so yay. My own Hub is next to my desktop at home, so rather than hunt the radio I'd left out in the shed, I downloaded the tune-in app to the PC for emergencies.

Advertisement