Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for Rotavec Corona

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Jes that's a relief as I don't know how lads inject cows in the neck unless you were using a head scoop.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

That time of year again, trying to kill two birds, vaccination and worming, rotavec is so dear now that I want to do it right, I usually just vaccinate one day and worm another but things have gone late with the worming this year. Anyone know if there's any knock on effect to the vaccine if I was to do a few of the thinner cows with levafas diamond & rotavec together?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Salmonella vaccine is the only vaccine you can't mix with another. If you haven't already bought the rotavec price bovigen I got it the other day. Alot cheaper than rotavec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Using bovigen for the past 3 years. Works perfect, only difference is it's a 3ml dose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

Thanks whelan, never heard of it, will check if my vets have it

• Advertisement

Was chatting the Vet yesterday and asked him about the Bovigen as I hadn't heard of it before seeing it here.

Anyway he said he only stocks the Rotavec as he doesn't believe in cheaper generics of medicines. He would only stock the original Ivomec also for eg.

So I'm going to stick with the Rotavec based on his advice - working out at €10 per cow.

The bovigen worked out at 8.20 per cow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Every little helps, personal experience of generics is good. Watch the pennies and the pounds mind themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

What's the idea behind not giving it to cows within 3 weeks of calving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I’m only guessing but maybe it doesn’t give it long enough to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

That was my thinking too, just reading back through the thread and with the price of it you'd want to be selective to who get's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I think it’s money we’ll spent, prevention is better than cure and a lot cheaper imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

They d have a higher margin on branded stuff and would get nice few backs every now and again .vets should nt really be allowed sell stuff.its anti competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Maybe if doctors were allowed to sell the drugs that they prescribe, it might be possible to get to see a doctor when needed?

I can get a Vet any time day or night within 45 minutes, please don’t go on about Vets making a few euro. We need them to stay in business.

Vet was saying this last week people ringing out of hours vet, which is for emergencies only to get them to do routine things for their pets as they are busy during the day. She just said you have to be firm and say this line is for emergencies only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yes 100% agree with this and it is what I meant in my post above. I wouldn’t dream of ringing out of hours unless it was an extreme emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭alan10

Related,

1st year of vaccinating all the cows before calving in the recommended window with Bovilis Rotavec Corona. Did it as I lost calf last year to Rotavirus and had close call with few others.

Well 12 months on… and have a set of twins just tested positive with Corona virus ☹(did dung sample in vets)

They got loads Colostrum from mother and were fine for few days, gone downhill very quick in past 24 hours. Stomach tubing both: Lectade, milk, Life Aid etc… every few hours. Might be able to save 1…other one gone too far I think.  

Anyway - turns out it’s same mother as last year where I lost calf to Rota! Mentioned to Vet and he said mother not producing good colostrum and that’s the problem – calves getting nothing to help the immune system.

Forgot to ask if calves getting any benefit now at all from cow (Im milking different cow and tubing them that)

I’d still vaccinate again next year. This lady wont be here next year.

Look everyone has to make a few bob but dose sami s post not illustrate the issue.to be fair our vets are first class and i do buy stuff off them but its in a competitive envoiroment.that said i never question the price of antibiotics they prescribe because the animal just have to get it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

It's not "competitive" to restrict sources of supply? :)

Around here, there are several veterinary sources and prices do vary.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement