Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can stab someone in the face in Dublin now, and not go to prison.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I didn't know that one. Was there much rivalry within the RIC back then? What would the most common motive have been for an RIC to kill one of his men?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The records don't give any more profound meaning than just personal disputes. In a group that prided itself on brutality, fighting each other was always going to be a problem, it was considered acceptable, they met their purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Excellant , three mercenaries in my family.

I always knew there was something about my fathers side .

I’m not defending this it should be custodial but when I see all the outrage at sentencing I wonder do people realise our prisons are overcrowded?

50 odd sleeping on the floor at the start of the year and a woman’s prison at 164% capacity.

Are Judges to blame or is this another Government failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hey, she's got far more important things to worry about such as criminalizing people for having opinions.

• Advertisement

• When I read the title I honestly thought it was supposed to be a bit facetious.

but no it’s real. Great little country. Sure honestly lads is it any wonder the likes of enoch burke and Co don’t follow the rule of law. What are you gonna do, give me a suspended sentence? Oh noooo

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Never ever get involved in other people's arguments it's guaranteed trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Prison overcrowding is indeed a government failing.

Every few years, I get to hold the government accountable for that.

But letting violent criminals off with a slap on the wrist is a failing of our judiciary.

When do I get to hold them to account?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Why the **** is the government acting like clueless, powerless idiots all the time ???

They literally can not run a small sparsely populated country.

They never could.

Fail time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

This country is turning into a **** cesspit and an absolute joke , politicians and judiciary slowly moving away into their own little areas and communities and letting the rest of the country burn .

Not enough prisons or judges to do the right thing and keep the citizens safe , letting child molesters into the country unvetted to reoffend in Fermoy and throw people out on the streets because they can’t even make sure that people working hard can afford a roof over their heads .

Unless your from a different country , haven’t worked a day in your life or re offending scum you get nothing from this disgrace of a government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Someone who stabs a person in the face doesn't deserve a cell to themselves. Lob them in to an overcrowded prison, better than having them free on the streets to cause more mayhem for ordinary decent citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It surprises me that US multinationals are still investing in Ireland. Considering the questionable legal situation as well as the abysmal housing situation, I wonder what they are still doing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's the same in silicon valley. They can get staff here a lot cheaper, dollar is strong and also tax benefits. Also most tech staff working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

He deserves to be locked up but I can guess why this decision was made.

The judge probably, together with reasons of overcrowded prisons, assessed that the assailant was likely already in a state of high emotion, be it panic / aggrevation / defense, when he was approached.

To see someone suddenly come at you while in that state, in the middle of an argument will lead to a different reaction than if he was in a calm state. He's not going to automatically assume the approaching person just wants to stop the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I've no real issue with overcrowded prisons. Sure, they need to build more, but I wouldn't let overcrowding stop criminals going to jail.

"Judge Martin Nolan said the fact that Squires was armed with a knife was a serious matter."

So serious a matter that he let him off a custodial sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Did you read the story? The assailant followed the victim off the bus to stab him. This wasn't a knee-jerk reaction swinging a knife at someone coming towards him. He could have easily stayed on the bus and the whole issue would have gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

Yes, I read that bit. Im no expert but I think the law would take a longer time frame into account for heightened emotions to have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

First thing that sprang to mind . Intervening in these disputes doesn't always end well

The sentencing for violent assaults is shocking in this country. See it all the time in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'm surprised he didn't go all Crocodile Dundee on him and hand him a real knife to cause some proper carnage with.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

It's not 'the law' in this case, rather this specific judge.

Time after time, but I'm sure certain people will defend his sentencing with 'full prisions' and 'heightened emotions' type arguments until the cows come home rather than call it for what it is.

Heightened emotions, leading to someone who routinely carries a knife, for no reason other than use as a weapon, chasing down a victim and stabbing them.

I really don't think courts should take that kind of thing as a mitigating factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Fella sees an upset girl with an aggressive fella and tries to help. Maybe he'd already begun to get physical with her and everyone else on the bus is probably pretending not to see.

And people here blame him more than the prick who stabbed him. Congrats lads.

I sincerely hope I never become as cynical as some of yee.

• everyone else on the bus was doing what they should do in that situation. It’s never going to end well inserting yourself between two people involved in a fight.

So whether they like it or not it’s their own fault. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. I’m not condoning the attacker by any margin but you really should just mind your own business when it comes to stuff like this.

The Gardai are trained and equipped to deal with this sort of thing and it’s best that people leave it to the professionals. Condoning the stab victims behaviour is worse imo than pointing out how stupid, dangerous and unnecessary it was.

if someone’s boxing the head of their Mrs walk the other way and contact the garda. Stay out of it. You’re not going to be covered in glory and a parade thrown for you, no one’s gonna think you’re a hero.

You’ll end up on your arse or worse and everyone’s gonna point and laugh at what a dummy you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

But is that not the point?

Keeping criminals on the street = more work = more money = more control.

We don't have enough of these criminals to keep it going so they have to be allowed free with 10, 20, 50, 80, 100, 150, or in 1 case recently 250+ convictions (convictions not charges).

Assuming they are caught 10% of the time, which is being generous...you do the maths, but I'm sure the answer is $$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This is not a personal attack but I cannot imagine being the kind of person who would walk past someone hitting a woman. Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree.

As far as calling the gardai, great in theory but too late for the person getting attacked.

I understand why people would want to not put themselves at risk I guess. It's just not how a lot of us were raised when it comes to violence against women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If you read this snippet from a recent article, you’ll see where two busybodies got involved stopping a sexual assault.

“In court on Monday, the victim said she thought her daughter would end up having to identify her body in the park. She added she feared she would die in the course of the ordeal.

She said the assault had changed her life and she was forever grateful to the two men in the park who had come to her assistance.

Mr Justice Paul McDermott heard the woman had been out walking her dog at around 6.30pm on November 7th, 2021, when she was grabbed from behind by Veste.

The woman said she got a smell of sweat and cigarettes and then Veste put a hand over her mouth.

“I tried to fight. He made me get on to the ground and forced his body and knees on me in the pitch dark. I managed to kick him. He managed to put a weight over my mouth and something on to my nose.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

"the two of them (the girl too)turned on him "

This always happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Having more and more scumbags like this guy and his Mrs around is not a positive for the Gardai, Already swamped and drowning under the pressure of a horribly malfunctioning justice system. The majority of solicitors are heading the same way at this stage due to the circular nature of the system. The small number of élite senior barristers and judges above the district court level live in a totally different world than most people and have no understanding of the world around them.

Intervening in a couple having a domestic in public is a tricky move , Ive done it a few times in the past when I was sure I could handle the situation on my own but it is very dangerous. The vast majority of attacks on gardai and police world wide occur while dealing with domestic incidents. which is why at least two always attend domestics and often more. As regards to what some one else said here there is no training given to gardai dealing with domestics apart from recording and re recording the incidents on crappy admin systems.

Also as some one else said calling the gardai might be a good idea but given poor resources and very poor dispatch systems you would be waiting

As for solutions ? Bild a big f*%koff prison and fill it with people who have shown us via many multiple violent crimes that they can not live in a safe society with the rest of us. I would be a big fan of separation between judiciary and government but the state needs to insist that judges enforce laws properly which they are not doing.

• Advertisement

• I was always raised that you do not hit a woman. However, that’s in itself a very poor life lesson because sometimes, even women deserve a good slap.

No different to me if a man was being belligerent and warranted a kick in the bollox. If you behave like woman are tender creatures that would snap like a twig if you raised a hand to them you’re not a friend of any woman you’re a bit of a sexist tbh hate to break it to you.

The “nice guy” act won’t get you much further than a knife in the cheek as this gentleman has shown us. Why do you feel like you personally need to step in and defend a woman getting slapped around?

Do you intervene in every fight you see? If it’s two men or two women or is that okay for you? This attitude pisses me off, I’m sorry I don’t mean to have a go at you, but the idea that if a mans fighting with a women she is the victim and needs a man to come protect her and if you don’t you’re the problem.

No mate you’re the problem because you are so self involved and ignorant you think not only that women need your help but also that a fight that is no concern of yours is somehow your fight to be involved in because it happens to be a man v woman situation.

It’s not a good attitude to have. Walk away. You’re not going to fall in love with her and get married and take her away from the wicked man and her horrible life.

You’ll end up like this fella. or worse. But sure go ahead you do you.

Advertisement