Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest live concert you've ever attended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,443 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not quite. Oasis played The Point again the following year, 3 nights… December 1997. An ok gig, the one I saw ( with Liam, two were without him ) but they were touring a poor album which strangely featured very prominently in the set list considering the mixed critical response.

can’t hold it to one gig but these deserve a mention… think in fairness the Strummer one wins out, atmosphere, intensity of performance and crowd reaction… tiny venue.

1. Joe Strummer - Liverpool Academy, November 2002
    2. Oasis - Le Zenith Paris, September 2002 ( took a chance on this, incredible, they were poor every other gig )
    3. Great Lake Swimmers , Borderline, London, May 2009.
    4. Morrissey - Dublin Castle, June 2004
    5. The National - Olympia, December 2010
    6. The Decemberists - Vicar St, Feb 2015
    7. Dawes - Borderline London 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Radiohead 2001 @ the Odyssey, Belfast. A few days after 9/11. National day of mourning meant no public transport (I think?) and a mad panic to find someone with a car so we could get up to it. The band were tense for the early part of the gig but ended up as a special and cathartic experience. Spinning Plates and True love waits stand out.

Arcade Fire @ Electric Picnic. Just one of those times catching a band in their moment. Weirdly I never really stuck with them, not that I disliked their stuff but I think part of me just liked leaving them at this perfect gig and album.

Pearl Jam @ the point 1996. Day of my 20th birthday. Unbelievable atmosphere, really transcendental experience if that doesn't sound too wanky. This and the 2000 gig in the same venue were both great (and to be honest the memory of both has kind of merged into one). Was at Slane 93 too but those two Point gigs were so intense in a great way.

Neil Young @ Vicar St (Greendale tour). Ticket was a lot of money at the time but me and a mate splashed out and we still talk about it, sad gits that we are.

U2 @ RDS (Zooropa tour) 93? 17 years old, I was SO into achtung baby and it took so long for the tour to get to Ireland. Pretty sketchy memories tbh beyond just grinning throughout and the buzz on the bus back home. Great times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭HBC08

Correct,I had forgotten about those gigs in 97,I think they had peaked and were on the slide by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

That U2 Zoo TV show is on YouTube with perfect radio broadcast quality audio and decent bootleg audience camera footage. It was fantastic especially the Achtung Baby songs - first time I ever saw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Someone mentioned Billy Nasty, he played the Ormonde media centre early 90's, that was a great night. I just can't remember all that much of it. I remember it was bright when we were leaving. The sky was purple and red and there where these big fluffy clouds floating all around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Squeeze in the Olympia '95

I was at that, good gig.

My own favourite.

Radiohead - Harborlights Boston August 1997.

A few months after OK Computer came out, great show and a great venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Springsteen in Slane was magic and the leaving cert the following week and getting around my mother to go, 20 of us set off and camped after the concert and how youth and innocent we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Swans in Cork in 2010, basically any of the 13 times I've seen them actually.

Hour of 13 in Fibbers ,It was their first or at the very least one of their first live performances, I was and still am obsessed with their first two records, unreal, full of buckie the craic was 90.

James Blackshaw in the Triskel in 2012 or 13, mesmerising.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Olympush

Leonard Cohen at the National Stadium c.1981.

I was 2 rows from the stage.

Remember it was his birthday on the night.

Worst was definitely Bob Dylan at Earls Court 1981. He just didn’t want to be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

Was at Bob Dylan KilKenny a couple of years ago, and it was THE worst thing I have ever experienced. Loved him until then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Actually Oasis played old point again ( 2 nights) in December 2005(almost sure) on the back of the Don't Believe the Truth album which was a big return to form for them. went to one of the nights, usual excellent gig from them.

Saw him in Limerick, hands down one of the worst gigs I've ever been to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Heard a lot of negative reports about Dylan concerts from people i know - he's probably up there with Van Morrison in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Two really stand out.

Bowie Dublin 2003.

McCartney Glastonbury 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Out of left field, but the Darkness circa 2015 in the Bridge House in Tullamore.

I was a big fan of Permision to Land when it came out, but I didn't really follow them after that. I don't even know how I came across the gig, but seeing as it was so close to me, I said I'd go for the laugh.

They were amazing, honestly it was a hell of a show.

I'm not sure if it was actually the "greatest" concert I've ever been to, but it was by far the concert that exceeded my expectation the most, I was expecting basically nothing and it was genuinely a great show.

Also if you are not familiar with the Bridge house in Tullamore, it's an old hotel that you might have atteneded a wedding or a youth disco at or something, not somewhere you would typically expect to see a great gig!

Saw him a few times. His gig in Dublin in 2014 was glorious. His gig last year went down great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I was at that if it's the Thomond park concert. I remember thinking at the time, fantastic band but no singer! Dylan was cheating the public at that stage although I guess we saw him anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Worst gig ever. David Gray at the marquee sometime in the early 2000s. No engagement with the audience whatsoever. Just played white ladder album and disappeared. Got a literal "hello" at the start and a "wow you were great" at the end. Very boring.

Best gig ever. Robbie Williams in slane, 1998 or maybe 1999, can't remember. At the peak of his powers, absolutely had the crowd in the palm of his hand. Went to see Placebo myself but ended up really loving RW.

Im actually a pure metal head, unusual for me to attend either of those concerts but they're the ones that stuck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Me too.

I had seen a lot of the Britpop bands in the 90s in the US but never got to see Oasis.

So I went to them in Dublin in December 2005 as much of a box ticking exercise as anything, drove up and down from Galway the same night for it.

It was a brilliant show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Rush many times and Led Zeppelin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Megadeth - Rust in Peace tour - Point April '91

(The Almighty as support were pretty good too)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Bob Marley Dalymount 1980.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

I always watch the entrance of the band from that gig to remind myself how daft it was! My best gig so far was seeing them in Dusseldorf june 2022...mind blowing! Hopefully they'll top it when I see them this year in Munich.

Heres the video I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POpdKsj3mkk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Michael Jackson 1988 - Pairc ui Chaoimh - My first gig....

Megadeth - The Point 91 & 92 -The double kick drum of Nick Menza !! I got his drumstick at the 92 gig.

Pearl Jam - Slane 93 What a day .....

Pearl Jam - Point 2000 - was a stupendous gig (edd Vedd stage diving off the speaker stack!)

Pearl Jam - Point 2006 - they were on FIRE !! even after Paddy Casey was the support act !!

Megadeth - The Ambassador 2005 - JUST WOW !

Korn - The Ambassador 2008 - To be so close was aamazing -what a venue!

QotSA - The Ambassador 2008 - 1 foot away from Josh Homme ! Thought i was gonna have an aneursym during Song for the Dead !!

Neil Young - Nowlan Pk Kilkenny 2019 - what a performance ! Magic ......

Radiohead - In the Big top in Punchestown 2000 - Stunning event with the cams on mics etc ... (we went to Fairyhouse first, and had to bomb it across!!)

REM - Malahide Castle - Stunning gig, stunning evening, stunning views (Stipe quipped - 'I have to apologise for the view' the bay was in view behind the stage

Metallica - RDS 2004 - Great set , great gig... Slipknot in support , whats not to like !?

Metallica - The Point 92 - In the Round.. Deadly!

The Doors of the 21st Century(with Ian Astbury) Point 2004 - blew the fuccing roof off ! Amazing gig.

The Doors Alive (with Brett Scallions) The Academy 2006 - just feet from Manzerek and Krieger !! wow....

Elbow - EP 2006 - Only a couple of hundred in the tent - Just about to explode with "one day "

Beastie Boys - EP 2007 - Played a 'proper' set on Sat night, then a surprise gig on the Sunday afternoon. Amazing to be a couple of feet from Yauch !!! RIP MCA

Picturehouse - Feile revisited Thurles 2019 - Just a bloody great band - great vocalist.

Rage against the Machine - Feile 94 - Mayhem ... pure angry fuccing mayhem ...

Thin Lizzy - Feile revisited Thurles 2019 - to hear those twin guitars .. OMG.. the songs i grew up with and covered in bands, it was surreal.

U2 - Croke Park 2017 - Spider stage was amazing - what a show... just goosebumps...

Faith no More- Dalymount Pk 93 - i robbed an 8ft tall poster of Eddie Vedder promoting the Slane gig off the terrace - and i met my wife that day ...

Fontaines DC - ATN 2019 - great performance of a groundbreaking album... Rage + whiskey+ pogo-ing

Frank Turner - Set Theatre Kilkenny 2011 solo - less than 100 there ,he played at Olympic games less than a year later! i was sitting beside Mick Flannery!

Taylor Swift - Croke Pk 2018 - Got 16 free tickets, so brought my TayTay mad daughter up to see her twice - She shook hands with her .... Memories.

Bon Jovi - Rds 2001 (or 95? 96?2000??? - the Thunder&Lightning gig - Great show as usual from them - Lightning storm made it more memorable....

Jeez ! I better stop there! Thats enough 😮

I miss being able to get tickets easily, Queing up early to get passes for the Pit ...

instead of the event junkies, corporate and golden circle sh1te nabbing all tickets .... 😫

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

It's weird, probably the best two gigs I can think of aren't even favourite bands of mine. Just a couple of times where a bunch of things came together to make them unforgettable memories.

Rammstein followed by Limp Bizkit - Big Day Out NZ 2001

Basement Jaxx - Hammersmith Palais 2003

That Korn gig was mighty, they are always great live

Totally forgot, Down in the Ambassador in 08, no support band just a little home movie thing before hand, they played for nearly 3 hours iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I wasnt at the gig, but the night the Prodigy was playing, I was walking down the side lane of the Olympia towards Temple Bar, the walls were heaving it was so loud.

Advertisement