Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catio

Options
  • 12-03-2023 8:35pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm on the market for a large garden cage for my cats (aka, a cat patio, or catio), W 2m x L 3 m x H 2 m or so. I've found a few on the web, but the sturdiest seem to be those sold by Omlet (I stand to be corrected). The only thing is, the prices are quite eye watering.

Has anyone had any experience with them? Are the prices appropriate for what they offer? Has anyone any alternatives they'd recommend?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

We got ours made by a local (Belfast so no use to you) carpenter. Think it came to around £1000 for a roughly similiar size. It's a pretty simple structure so I think most carpenters should be able to build one for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks @Mollyb60, for that price I might as well order it from Omlet. Thanks, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I have had an omelet run for I think 6? years now and I have to say it’s stood the test of time. I’ve never had a single problem with it. Two of my cats would be rough enough, both the Bengal and the Kitten like to climb the bars all the way to the top and it’s never given any trouble.

It was expensive, and especially since we bought one, decided it was too small for three cats, and got an extension, but 100% I would get it again. We ended up investing even more into it by doing up a false grass floor which is much easier to keep clean, and getting a tarpaulin to cover half of it so they have shelter if it rains or shade from the sun!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks, @SillyMangoX - first hand experience is what I was hoping for. 😊 I'll go ahead with the order, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Have to say those catios look brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That's amazing, @SillyMangoX. How do the cats get in and out? Is it attached to the house? It doesn't look it from the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

Just wondering if anyone has used something like the Oscillot cat-proofing for fencing?

We're considering it as an alternative to let your cats onto the back garden, instead of the catio which I am afraid would be a bit more of an eye sore.

We looked into it, but it seemed frightfully expensive so we backed off the idea again. I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We either carry them up and down in our arms or walk them on a harness up there! The way our house is laid out we wouldn’t have been able to attach anything to the house without digging a new foundation but have loads of space in the garden. Might not work for cats who don’t like to be carried but thankfully all of ours do!

I've just spent over €800 on a catio and a few bits and pieces. May the online shopping gods look favourably on this transaction and smile down on me....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Looking forward to photos @New Home 😁

Honestly, it's surely an investment... the comfort of knowing your cat(s) is getting outdoor time, safely, is priceless!😊

Please report back, @New Home!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

First, consider the size and location of the catio. Make sure it is large enough for your cats to move around comfortably and has enough space for their toys and litter boxes. Also, make sure it is in a safe location, away from any potential hazards or escape routes.

Second, consider the materials used to construct the catio. Look for a sturdy and durable frame, as well as secure mesh or netting that will prevent your cats from escaping or predators from entering. You may also want to consider weather-resistant materials if the catio will be outdoors.

Third, consider your budget. While some catios can be expensive, there may be more affordable options available, such as DIY kits or pre-owned catios.

Finally, read reviews from other cat owners who have purchased catios to get an idea of their experiences with different brands and products. This can help you make an informed decision when choosing a catio for your cats.

In summary, when looking for a catio for your cats, consider size, location, materials, budget, and read reviews from other cat owners to help you make the best decision for your furry friends.

Report - Phase 1:

The catio got delivered very quickly in three lots of three boxes, which was unexpected.

Unfortunately the area where I want to build it isn't ready for it, yet, so I left it in the utility room at first. The very weird thing is that the next day the room was filled with flies, hundreds of them... The boxes didn't have any "dead critter" smell, per se, but I dreaded opening them and I don't want to do so until I'm ready to assemble it, so I moved them outside under an open shed. I'll steam clean the various parts when the time comes, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

So you don't know what has caused the flies?

Dear lord I'm shuddering at the thoughts 🤢🤢🤢

I'm guessing something must've gotten stuck to the cardboard... I hope it wasn't inside the support poles....

I think I'd have set it on fire at this stage 😂🤣😂

Keep us posted when you actually do open the box

• There might be a deceased member of the feline fraternity in that box 😉

Nope. Definitely not, it wouldn't fit. Whatever it is was, it must've been tiny, or the place would have smelt like hell and it didn't. Anyway, better flies than cockroaches.................

Feck it, I might just go and open them now and see if anything emerges, so to speak. BRB.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement

:pac:

(I got fed up after 4 boxes)

Advertisement