Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Lineker, BBC and Freedom of Speech - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

By all accounts Gary is supposed to be an extremely nice guy. He could have turned and twisted the knife on this one and let it keep growing.

I imagine the grovelling by Davie was epic.

It won't save Sharp though, the Tories being Tories are already preparing the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So let's have a crack at discussing Gary Linekars tweets without discussing what those tweets were about.

I disagree with what Gary Lineker tweeted. The comparison he made, linking certain current events with certain previous events, is lazy, inaccurate and hysterical

It's impossible to expand upon this argument without directly referencing the aformentioned current events so I shall elaborate no further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't say his language was hysterical at all - it looks like it was fairly measured and he thought carefully about what was he was saying before sending it. You can disagree with the content all you like, but I don't see any evidence he rushed out the tweet in a hurry or in a temper.

Most of the furore has been the usual suspects disagreeing with his stance, but it looks like he said exactly what he wanted to say in the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Comparisons of the UK in 2023 to Germany in the 30s reek of hysteria

Unless he meant the Weimar Republic, in which case he was a lot more accurate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Getting back to the language being used, it is hard not to see how the short accusatory statements used are not inflamatory and straight out of a propaganda instruction manual...

In addition to what I posted yesterday, it seems that the Independent is reporting that the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) have written to the Home Office criticising the proposed bill and adding that vows to “stop the boats” and describing Channel crossings as an “invasion” have consequences for people working in processing centres.

The PCS said Border Force staff in Dover and Kent were on the frontline of a “state of tension over immigration policy”, with local officers “in danger of both physical and verbal attacks”.

The union said Ms Braverman was “in part, responsible for the escalation of language which demonises asylum seekers and seeks to dehumanise them”.

Ros Atkins, as always, provides a good analysis of the Lineker saga...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Anyone with an ounce of cop on realises that comparing situations/events/language with Nazi Germany is problematic and inflammatory. His 1930s Germany comment was an inflammatory soundbite, not a worthwhile comment on a societal issue. If he said that in a debate he'd be called out on it and would lose.

Had he left out the Germany comment and merely stated that he disagreed with government policy and language and provided data to backup his point that the UK is not being overwhelmed, this entire debacle would have been avoided. But like a greedy publicity hound, full of his own importance and knowing that he'll be supported by the mob, he couldn't leave it at that.

This is the same individual who, many years ago, got caught rotten in the Brass Eye Paedogeddon special, talking "nonce-sense" about Pipe to Pipe Bushmen and paedophiles attacking photographs. BTW that was on Channel 4 during a period when Labour was in power.

This suggest that he is a publicity hound or not very intelligent or both.

He's a former sports person and an extremely well paid, multi millionaire sports pundit. Maybe he should stick to what he knows best.

In the eye of the beholder I would say. Braverman and the Daily Mail are engaging in hateful and dehumanising language about migrants IMO - "illegal", "invasion" etc (sounds more like wartime stuff) but are enraged when called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Weimar republic ran until 1933, so that's possible. Don't know enough to say whether or not that improves accuracy or not.

In any case, it's not even about the accuracy of the statement: it's about whether or not he should be allowed to tweet without suffering repercussions from State organisations he does work for. As far as I'm concerned he can go whole hog and call them nazis if he wants - would be hysterical, yes; but the BBC shouldn't be allowed to censor what he says privately; as long sa he's not promoting abuse or other criminal activity.

Now if he says something factually incorrect or libellous, that wold be cause for complaint, sure.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

That's not dehumanising.

"Illegal" means breaking the law.

"Invasion" can be an invasion of people.

These are just ordinary, nativist-sounding terms - nothing in particular suggests any parallel with rhetoric in 1930s Germany.

No one has even attempted to show research or provide a historical quotation. Just asserted it or linked to one Holocaust survivor asserting it.

That's after 24 pages of discussion and threads in other forums too.

I haven't seen Lineker anywhere properly challenged to back up his statement.

It doesn't stand up to scrutiny imo.

But various antis can just re-asserting it and re-asserting it.

There's no argument being given, just "It is so".

• Advertisement

It's an opinion - he doesn't have to back up anything. The BBC (or the government, or anyone else) could have asked for an explanation, trhey declined to do so.

He doesn't have to it's true. But some journalist could ask him to.

I'm against the firing/disciplining but if we're discussing whether what he said is true as it stands he can't/won't back it up and neither can people repeating what he said.

And it is only one or two vaguely anti-immigrationist terms that had been used - why is that equivalent to inter-war German propaganda?

What we get are just repeated re-assertions, appeals to emotion and so forth.

Verdict: not proven

But large numbers of people dispute the idea (not fact) that people crossing the Channel are doing so illegally or that an "invasion" is underway. A worrying aspect of all this is that the language of Braverman, Farage and the Daily Mail is feeding right into the public discourse. You can see "illegal migrants" and "invasion" being repeated all over UK social media as if it is an established and incontrovertible fact.

That's because there's nothing to prove - he never stated a fact, again he stated an opinion.

As to why no journalist has come out and challanged him? Fair question, but it's one you'd have to ask them not us.

• probably because they have betters things to do than ask people to elaborate on a flipping tweet.

What a world we live in where someone’s Twitter could be classed as news or current affairs.

He’s a football player and match pundit he’s not a person of relevance for political correspondents to talk to about their opinions on government policies because what he has to say is largely irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It's not just one Holocaust survivor, The Jewish Council for Racial Equality (JCORE) said it was “is horrified by comments made in Parliament yesterday by the Home Secretary.“It is disgraceful to see a government minister repeating the language of the far-right, and referring to people fleeing conflict and torture, including child refugees, as an “invasion”. To many British Jews, such appalling language is sadly familiar. In 1938, the Daily Mail condemned “the way stateless Jews from Germany are pouring into this country.”

Albeit, the comparison here is more to the UK's response to jewish refugees in the 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

I think we should acknowledge the problem some people have with the language used by Gary Lineker to describe the type of language being used by the likes of Braverman. Instead of using an inflammatory choice of words when referring to tories such as "language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s" we should choose to be much more accurate and refer to them as "lying c*nts"

And keep in mind that Lineker is not responsible for any policy or implementation of anything in the UK. The Tories and their right wing press pals / backers are pushing through active and real changes to their refugee laws and are the ones who need to be challenged - a personality simply giving an opinion on the matter on social media in a solitary tweet hardly needs to be challenged or questioned by the UK media about their stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

In farness that (brilliant) BrassEye episode is from 2001 and I'm sure the people who contributed to it (and to the earlier Cake episode) acted in good faith reading from a script, thinking that they were helping out a charity. Should he have been a bit more street wise - sure? Using something like that to try and discredit someone more than twenty years later is pretty desperate though.

He's a former sports person and an extremely well paid, multi millionaire sports pundit. Maybe he should stick to what he knows best.

Ah yes. A variation on the old "Shut up and dribble" type responses beloved of Fox News hosts whenever a well known athlete dares to say anything that they don't agree with.

Anyone should be willing stand over what they say though.

I accept he is just a fluff light entertainment sportsperson who sees things as childishly as possible.

But when so many people say with a straight face that he was perfectly correct.. Insofar as its taken to be a serious statement it should be weighed seriously.

• Advertisement

I think 'fluff light entertainment' would be a bit harsh on him. He's clearly articulate and well read : he wouldn't be doing things like fronting up the BBC's coverage of the Olympic Games since 2012 if he was a mere TV lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Eh history of conquest, wars and resource stripping might disagree with you

To be fair, that was 20-odd years ago and I he's a bit older and probably a lot wiser now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He might stand over what he says it is up to others to challenge him which I see the BBC and government are not prepared to do

Yes that was one of my first observations. They tried to nobble him out of a job but couldn't even talk back to him.

Weak stuff from the BBC and the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

For context he was in his forties twenty years ago. Just saying.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Labour likening the row to putler's russia.

Guess Labour shouldn't be allowed on the BBC anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Braverman said there were hundreds of millions waiting to cross, Daily Mail said a billion. Where's the hyperbole, that's where?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

Listening to what celebrities say outside of their remit is akin to asking a busdriver how to perform heart surgery: unlikely to have value.

Listening to multi millionaires opinions about how somebody else is morally obliged to do something that they won't is hysterical.

It reminds me of that Harry Potter woman a few years back speaking down to people from her multiple empty castles about how other people are morally responsible to house whoever she liked as a notion on a given day.

These people are not connected to reality, and should therefore have zero influence on reality.

If you're listening to them on such issues you need to have a sit down with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The multi-millionaire in question does actually house refugees.

Advertisement