Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upfront with Katie Hannon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

It just needs to be run properly. You could have a house owned by the state that takes 850 per month in rent. 10k per year. 30 years that's 300k which should cover the cost. After the 30 years, your rent is profit. Even if it took 50 years, it wouldn't matter to the state.

But a private landlord will charge as much as they can. That 300k house they'd charge 2k or something a month.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I said it before and I’ll say it again….the set is bad.Day one it was obvious

Hannon should be at the side then all the semaphoric hand movements would not be seen and

she might hold her head straight instead of on her right or left shoulder.

Whatever scone of a designer came up with the current set up I’d like to hear the rationale.

Not a good production all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wonder is Hourigan thinking of jumping ship, she made it quite clear she hasn't much time for Ryan.

A move to the SDs might be on the cards.

• Local authorities don’t want to employ the staff or pay for contractors to maintain properties, which is one big reason why they divested. A good private landlord will maintain & repair the property in a timely fashion, but their hands aren’t quite as tied by specifications which state authority run properties impose on themselves.

• Advertisement

She'll do what is best for her.

She's playing both sides at the minute. If she thought her seat was in danger due to being a green, she'll jump.

You just can't give out about government policies when you voted for the government. Don't agree with government policies? Leave government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If she doesn't jump she is being pushed out by a party not comfortable with it's own selling out. 'Had intended message to be sent to a friend' 😁

😁

Had a brief look on the player before work……. Hannon all over the place like a frikken octopus

Couldn’t wait to get a cut in at the FF lad on her right.

Hourigan …how many times did she mention she was TD in Cabra area….anxious to keep a foot in every camp.

Whoever suggested the title ‘Uptight with Katie Hannon’ was spot on .

The PBP lady and the SD lady were outed very late, reckon there was a fair few vested interest lefties in there, although

i can’t provide evidence.

There were a fair few 'vested interests' there, you mean. Which is what you want. No point initing some lad or lassie who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

And in fairness to Hannon, she turned the spotlight on them all during the programme.

Uhmmmm……… the only two vested interest punters who got a look in were a PBP….and a Soc.Dem.

The PBP lady seemed to have been there before……. but I only saw a bit of it.

• Advertisement

😁😁😁 Would you ever quit Brendan.

This lad got a fair swing of the bat as did a few others.

*Got a fair swing of the tanning sprayer too by the looks of him.

Heheh have to agree there, noticed that too, just back from Ochos Rios.!!!

Reminds me of Michael Noonan!

• That’s some serious gambler €500k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they are banning gambling ads that must include all lottery ads too, lots of degenerates blow the lot on the lottery too.

• I love the way he described the service/pleasure gained as “utility”, very sanitised.

• I gain “utility” from participating in Boards discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cutting the childrens film every Saturday on RTE1 to show the Lotto draw is wrong.

• Schizophrenia is now known to be due to an organic progressive brain disease, like many other neurological diseases, but whose most visible symptom is extreme behaviour changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

St. Columba's hospital has a history of incompetence. That was a shocking case, poor family.

• Advertisement

• Katie “short of time” O’Hanlon

• Katie appears stressed and uncomfortable doing the show, when I was in studio audience she came across as a bit waspish, in complete contrast to Claire Byrne, who is naturally very relaxed and personable.

If they're banning gambling ads then they should ban your local bingo and any car raffles or draws from local rugby/gaa/soccer clubs.

Advertising gets far too big a blame for gambling problems. I think it's a small issue tbh.

Without any evidence, I'd go as so far to say that horse racing coverage pushes more people into problem gambling than any advert on tv for a betting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

She has zero empathy, all she is focused on is the voice in her ear telling her to hurry up, it's ridiculous. It's actually unwatchable. She is ok on the radio I guess, but live TV is clearly not for her. There's too much going on and she loses her way a lot of the time. It seems she needs glasses as struggles with the teleprompter. The cringe news bit at the start and the scripted "witty" panel introductions have to go. Maybe she will improve, but she makes Claire Byrne look so polished and capable. She just doesn't have the personality for the format. I feel for her.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Absolutely spot on.

When oh when will RTE on all platforms stop trying shoehorn cringeworthy ‘comedy’ into serious shows?

It didn’t work with John Murray..

It doesn’t work on Drivetime

It doesn’t work with Hannon.

Its stupid.

Hannon looks like a cat on a hot tin roof, hands everywhere, unsure.

The ‘audience ‘ look drugged and way too small. No ‘atmosphere’ in the place.

Im afraid Ms. Hannon had it too easy on radio where she could line up a group, line up one poor junior govt rep.and attack the poor beast from all angles while leading the charge herself like a well known host on VM used to do.

It was pelt the poor person in the stocks kind of stuff.

Found out by TV I’m afraid.

Have to agree, I expected more as I liked Hannon on the late debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I think tonight is a big improvement both in the topics discussed and the tempo of the show. Good panel too.

Katie Hannon has settled in and seems much more at ease in her role after a few weeks.

Some of the previous comments were unnecessarily harsh and critical of her stewardship.

No TV presenter that I've ever watched has been without some teething pains when launching a new series. I recall Pat Kenny back in the day being a bundle of nerves on his first Late Late Show presentation and he's probably the best of our homegrown crop of broadcasters.

• I was in the audience some weeks ago, and it is indeed a small audience. Katie did have trouble with the tele prompter, when she was doing the promo she stopped suddenly and called out that what was written was wrong, not what she had looked at on a handout before starting to record. She was quite tense about it. I was in the audience of Claire Byrne three times, and there was a much more relaxed feel about it. Claire had a great rapport with her audience and might relate a story about getting the kids’ lunches packed before the show as she thanked everyone for coming out in the wind and the rain.

Checked out the programme on the player and Hannon is still hands all over the place, especially the hand stretched out in front of her,palm down.

To me she seems to struggle to ‘moderate’as she seems to miss the auld radio where she could line up a bunch of lefties

and one Govt rep and launch into them rapid fire.

Seemed to be not too much point to the whole programme, but in fairness a bit of an improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Have to agree. KH is awful. Surely there are better broadcasters or presenters in RTE than her?

The show will be cancelled within a year and she will be moved to other 'exciting' projects.

Compare her to the two that do the Tonight Show on Virgin TV. They are leagues ahead of her in every way, and while I don't agree with everything they say or do, as broadcasters they are simply superior.

Yet, KH is probably on 3 or 4 times their salary combined.. shows you everything that is wrong with RTE.

Advertisement