Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No front garden/driveway

Options
2»

Comments

I'll try to a link to the thread I mentioned earlier, where a woman was being harassed by her neighbours over her allocated parking.

Apparently as part of that discussion, it came out that leaving your wheelie bins out on the road on days they are not due to be collected is grounds for a complaint to the local authority?

As well as that, her neighbours were ramming their bins up against her car and damaging it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

If this is your forever home and everything else ticks the boxes I wouldn't be so sure to dismiss because of parking.

Within the next 7-10 years there will be a big change with private ownership of cars, no matter the fuel type. You may not need parking in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

Few houses tried it but people are arseholes when it comes to parking for some reason and will move them if they want the space. the only way to have no problems is to have your own driveway. The recent fad of this in housing estates is shite for the people living there it's space saving for developers and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Tbh I'd consider myself a really considerate parker....I've no problem parking and walking back if I can't get a spot.

The one thing that really sets me off are cones.....you've no legal right to put cones out.

I don't think I've ever moved one , but if my neighbours started that lark resulting in the road outside my house getting more traffic while theirs stayed clear ....the cones would be going missing fairly lively.

Post edited by Princess Calla on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,890 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I just meant they were a more legitimate option than putting cones outside your house (which sounds dubious enough) - wasn't advocating it as a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You're not the problem, along with the 90% of the rest of the estate, it's that last 10% that amplify their shittiness and make your life hell for an indeterminate amount of time they/you live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

10+ years of heartache is not worth it. You will end up hating the place in my experience.

Imagine a day like today, its lashing out of the heavens and you have to get the kids and the shopping into the house but you are parked 25M away.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

I would echo the majority on here saying it's not worth it. The trend of removing driveways from new builds is going to cause huge parking issues in years to come. I don't think most people realise. It might be ok now, but in years to come when people settle, get a second car, kids arrive and eventually they start getting their own cars too etc. The 'communal' spaces will be battlegrounds. 'That's my spot!', 'I park there!' etc. Expect parking wars galore, arguments, the works. People are very territorial and petty when it comes to what they perceive as theirs, right or wrong.

Not to mention having to find somewhere else if you come home from work and the spaces are taken. It's p*ssing rain etc. Buying a home is too important to dismiss stuff like that. If you drive, make sure you have a private driveway is my advice.

IMO the private motor car will always be king in Ireland so the issue is not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not grounds for a complaint but grounds for prosecution as an offence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Wheelie bins are not supposed to visible outside a house on days other than collection day. the other issue with wheelie bins is that the neighbours might avail of them. The bins might gain weight as a result.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I would absolutely not buy a house without a driveway. I lived in an apartment for years that had above ground parking, and my designated space was miles away from my apartment and it was awful. If I did a big shop, I'd have to make 2 or 3 trips down to the car to get it all up and if it was raining I'd be drenched. Same with getting the kids down to the car - on rainy days we'd all be soaked. I did also have instances over the years where I'd arrive back and find someone parked in my spot. It didn't happen that often, but when it did it was a major hassle.

We finally moved out a couple of years ago and the one thing that was a definite deal breaker for us when buying a house was a driveway that could fit both our cars in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I fixed the problem by inserting a large (far too heavy to move) tree planter. Bye bye petrol heads...hello greenery. I don't use a car except the occasional GOCAR hire when needed. Hoping for congestion charges between the canals. But obviously I'm lucky enough not to be stranded in suburbia or beyond where a car is still definitely needed. I grew up beside a suburban school in a era when children still walked. These days....with multiple cars per household... never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That should tell you all you need to know - I'd pass

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh hell no, that would be a hard pass. I lived in a new build estate for a year that had "driveways" that fitted 2 cars (it was kinda a paved front garden, basically 2 parking spots with railings either side of them) and then there were some extra visitor parking spots. The visitor spots were never empty, because a lot of the houses had more than 2 cars. I would imagine that situation would only get worse as the years went on and a lot of the kids/teens in the houses started driving and had their own car but were still living at home. You'd probably find, in your situation, that your spots would be regularly used as visitor spots, or delivery drivers would lash their car/van in there while they go deliver something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Exactly. The house behind me here has 5 cars. Often block other drives and park in a junction. Imagine a whole estate of grown up children knocking about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭Deeec

Parking is terrible on new estates - its about packing houses in and practicalities like parking are overlooked.

I recently had to drop my daughter off at a house on a new estate. The houses have a driveway that can fit 1 car, there were no visitor spaces at all that I could see and if you parked along the street and another car was parked at the opposite side of the street traffic would find it difficult to get by. I had to just drop and go as I couldnt park. This is an estate in a country town with virtually no public transport so cars are essential - most houses would need 2 parking spaces. Lovely houses but the parking would drive me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I live in a town and bought a house with no drive way and just a small front garden, luckily enough have had no issues with parking as the neighbours never park outside our house.

However, my friend also bought a house in the town in a different area and like me has no parking out front. She does have an awful time with neighbours and parking spaces.

Advertisement