Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Thanks for the honest answer, is the driving position higher or lower than you were expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Haven't really had any issue at all with back windscreen getting grubby - although I have spotted that cost cutting that very bottom doesn't have defrost heater, but it's exactly in line with rear spolier so doesn;t impact on visibilty.

@Red Silurian Seating is definitely on the lower side, and my wife has complained a bit that the passenger seat has no raise option - Then again she's used to her CHr so likes the high seating in that.

Driver seat in Exclusive does have height option, but compared to all the crossovers out there this definitely feels like the old school lower position

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

it's pretty much in line with what I expected. I'm coming from a saloon petrol car (so no battery to hide underneath) and it feels a tiny bit higher but not significant. It's noticeable that my toddler can see out from her child seat a bit better than before though.

Also, about rain. I only picked up the car yesterday so I'll comment after a proper shower. I'm not expecting any problems - most saloons don't have a rear wiper (Audi A4, BMW 3-series, etc. etc.) and no-one complains there so I'm sure it's fine, as I've had before.

The dealer told me yesterday that this is where the radio antenna is for the car - it's embedded in the rear window - and that's why it doesn't heat there..... Bemusing but doesn't make much odds to me either - my ancient wreck of a car had pretty bad demisters anyway, so it's all relative :)

I'm coming from low cars - never liked SUVs - so the seating position is fine for me but it'll be personal taste here. I have to say after a few drives now the seating is excellent, and the ride quality is outstanding (comparing to multiple cars I've owned/used over the years).

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭crl84

Yes, the bottom "wires" on the rear windscreen are antennas. Presume it's another aerodynamic thing to reduce drag/improve range, rather than mounting them in a "fin" outside:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Kirnan

I just received a letter from MG informing me that the car comes with 12 months 'MG Assistance' (AA Cover). Every time you use an authorised dealer for the yearly service you get an additional 12 months.

I saw they had this in the UK and didn't realise we also got it here.

An update after the first four days with the car and a mix of short (2-5km) trips around town, and short-ish (10-20km) trips across the M50 in Dublin, this week which coincided with the wild rain and cold temps. I'm in an Excite long-range.

• Regen definitely is stronger than my test drive - great for town driving. It will still coast if you let off the brake pedal,so not completely one-pedal driving, and my brain is slowly dialling in to the distance it uses for slowing down over pressing the brake pedal. My wife who has never driven an electric before is also happy with it on its strongest setting which is a good sign. I haven't tried 'adaptive' yet.
    • The heating: maybe I'm just used to colder temps but I find the heater is fine. Yes, it's roasting if set to 25 degrees, but it also provides heat at slightly lower temps: we've it set to 23 and it works fine.
    • Heating the car this morning to defrost the window: very quick/fast.
    • Car is currently showing 70% and 269km of range. (so I've only used up 30% since I got it). It started out showing 350-360km and 98%. That's relatively accurate estimates and great range considering it's been below 5 degrees most of this week?!
    • Seating is excellent.
    • It's very quiet at 100km/hr.
    • Visibility out the front is very good and the nose is very short. Speaking of visibility and the rear window. I drove home in epic rain on Wednesday night and the rear window stayed clear. Whatever dark magic is being done there, I'm impressed.
    • Boot: I've mentioned it before in previous posts but it's good but not great. A great boxy shape (and a step up in that respect from my previous saloon with the low boot), however, it's definitely.....cosy. I could see a holiday trip being an issue so I sure hope MG releases those roof bars soon before the summer. Again, this could be a personal thing as we carry a lot of sports gear, and also have travel cots, etc. to pack.
    • Cruise-control, auto-steer (aka MG Pilot) : I tried it across the M50 on Wednesday night. It's slightly cautious for keeping distance from the car in front but it works very well, so long as you keep it in mind it's a machine with just some sensors to 'read/see' the road. It also is decent at staying in the middle of the lane and not 'bouncing' from side to side against each lane marker. Moving between lanes with it activated is also very easy: hold down (but not 'clicking it down') the indicator and the steering wheel comes into your control. Move across to the lane and let go of the indicator and it re-engages. Slick. It's good for accelerating/decelerating related to the car in front: I'd describe it as cautious but then again, maybe that's how we're all meant to drive and not on each other's rear bumper ;) As mentioned, I'm driving to Lahinch next week so looking forward to this assistance the longer drive.
    • Cruise-control, auto-steer (aka MG Pilot) in the wet/wild weather on the way home. It definitely struggles in very (very) heavy rain. Again, I wouldn't really expect to use it in these sorts of conditions so this was purely a test. It's evident it struggles to 'see' the lane lines when the road is shiny from water and with water on the sensor (presumably).
    • Stop-start cruise-control/auto-steer (aka MG Pilot) : this is excellent in town. Essentially you can just sit there and the car drives itself. Sometimes it seems to ask for a tap of the accelerator, other times it just pulls away but I like that - it keeps you aware so you don't completely switch off. The one piece which can slightly throw it off (but is way better than what I saw in the ZS which I test drove last year in the old model) is when the car in front is turning left out of your lane and a gap appears: in the ZS, it would sometimes dive forward before the car was fully gone so was getting confused by what car to follow. In the 4, it seems to have a better awareness of this and tracks much better. For anyone who knows the Naas Road coming into Dublin, the car drove itself from the M50 exit all the way to the Bluebell Luas stop where it got a bit confused where painted lines disappear and I took control: it even merged correctly at the Gowan building where the road goes from 2-lanes to one. I suspect I'll try another time and see if it can make it all the way into Inchicore when there's no other cars around and I can grab control if it fails.
    • Auto-hold (for when you've stopped at lights and don't want to hold the brake pedal down) is great: press hard on the brake and it locks in. Weirdly it doesn't show any icon on screen so you just have to take your foot off the pedal and trust! This is standard on a lot of cars so nothing new, but just highlighting that there's no obvious icon on screen to tell you it's enabled. [UPDATE: Ignore - user error! It’s the (A) in the very middle of the screen 🤦‍♂️]
    • We've been using CarPlay primarily: the screen resolution is excellent/bright/clear. In some ways I'm glad I don't have the Exclusive as the 360-degree camera seemed to have used cameras from the 1st iPhone in 2007 and smeared with jam! (in other ways, I'd love the 360-degree camera - no front parking sensors.....).
    • CarPlay: 'hey Siri' is picked up very well and you can use that for setting up directions, etc. A neat feature I didn't know about is Apple Maps supports EV charging stations - very slick!
    • The steering wheel functions.....I'll be honest, it'll take a while to brain-train myself. The left-hand joystick seems to depend on whether MG Pilot is activated or not. I think. And for some reason it doesn't seem intuitive to me on what left/right/up/down does on either. Thankfully there's dedicated volume controls on the dashboard otherwise I think my wife would be asking me to return the car!
    • A noticeable miss on the buttons is lack of climate control up/down functions. There's buttons for heating the front and back windows, and an on/off for the climate control however, a temperature up/down would have been great (they do know the longest running argument between a male and female is over what is deemed hot or cold for a room? :). It would have meant you could leave the car in CarPlay and never have to leave it just to change the temps. Again, not a deal breaker but a nice to have.
    • Sound system: it won't break any awards in a music review but it's a car with tons of other noises around externally so it's fine for me. I've got good speakers at home for when I want to hear good sound.
    • The phone charging pad: I definitely won't miss that from an Exclusive. What a dumb design with no edges - phones just fly off it. Do they think people only drive on motorways?!
    • Spec differences from the Excite to the Exclusive. Straight up from this first week, I can really only see myself missing the parking camera, and that's mainly as there is no front parking sensors. The rest of the features are 'nice-to-haves' for myself.
    • Battery charging. The manual states to charge the car to 100% once per week. The menu in the car says to only charge to 100% for long-drives. What is it MG, care to tell us the recommended activity for battery health?! One note also: the MG manual also states that every 3-6 months to do a charge from <10% to 100% on a slow charger for additional re-balancing: I genuinely hope the car pops up a notification if this is the case as I've enough things in life to remember without this.

Overall, it's ticked all the boxes for us and more than happy. As my wife said, for 2-3 weeks of the year, and possibly a weekend or two, we'll wish we got the MG5 for the extra storage space (but on the flip side would have slightly less range and slower charging which isn't as good for long holiday drives...). But for the other 49-50 weeks of the year, the size of the car is much better in the city and she'll be happier driving it around.

Any other queries? let me know......

Post edited by usual_suspect on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

great info on this thread, thanks all

anyone in the wesht got one off Shiels? am considering trading in my 20 Leaf Tekna before the EV grant is phased out, should get decent trade-in value. but delivery is still 6-9mths right?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭horse7

Has anyone who has put some milage up got the oil leak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I was speaking to Johnson and Perrott in Cork about a week ago I ordered in early Dec. Sudan said they expect 76 vehicles to arrive in April /May not all mg4 but a lot are

Can anyone say for sure that the oil leàk has been fixed in the factory in China and doesn't require any extra fittings when it comes off the boat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Can any recent Excite LR/Exclusive owners confirm if recent models are still coming (mis)spec'd with three phase AC charging? Some recent posts on mgevs claiming that recently delivered Trophys are supplied with single phase 7kW AC chargers.

(Pic above for easy identification)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

I ordered from Sheils last September. I'm still waiting. Nothing from them to suggest it's coming anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Ordered last October, being told June/July but even that ETA isn't concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Vladi

Where from mind me asking?

I ordered end of October in Drogheda

Should be here way before July I hope

Waiting on excite standard range in White

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Wow really? what configuration did you order?

I ordered an exclusive long range in grey first week of December from Frank Keane and was told twice that the timelines were looking positive for a Feb/Mar delivery. My email last week asking for an update has been ignored so I'm not very hopeful anymore. July would be an absolute disaster.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

Got an email today to say my Exclusive will be available for collection from Linders at the end of March. Ordered 30 September. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

MG Ireland launch of the 4 was lottery they didn’t send car per peoples orders sent a bunch of different spec and let dealers sort them. I ordered in September and still waiting on white excite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That's probably down to MG in China rather then MG Ireland.

Uk had similar issues - which to my mind points to the production side in China being the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I sent one last week as well and heard nothing from FK either. Was told Feb/March as well when I ordered on 1st of Dec. Ordered an Exclusive in red. If I hear it will be July, I'll cancel and see what else I can get. Not married to the MG4 but I like the design and the car suits my needs.

• Hi, I'm updating this after the discussed-in-this-post trip to Lahinch for the weekend, leaving from Inchicore Dublin. Two adults (including the driver), a toddler and a fully boot were the items in the car.

Firstly, the 'ground rules' were:

• Turn on the car and start driving. i.e. no changes to 'eco' mode for driving, changes to regen, etc. - everything as-is when the car starts up (which it defaults to every time). I wanted to learn the base-line range for when my less-techy wife does exactly this: gets in the car and drives somewhere. She's what I would think of as a 'normal' driver and not going to spend time fiddling with settings.
    • This also applied to the heating: turn it on and use it as normal so no aggressive cheating, etc. My wife's pro-tip is (i.e. she tells me this is how she uses it and this was indirectly her test!) blast the heating at the very start to get the car up to temp, then drop it back to 24 degrees and leave it at that for the journey.
    • Of course, there's always one exception. The traffic speed recognition re-activates every time and I wasn't interested in it showing me the (in)correct mph so that was disabled from the outset.
    • test out MG Pilot (i.e. cruise control with adaptive speed to slow/accelerate to desired speed and also self-steer) on a motorway journey
    • My home in Inchicore to the house I was visiting in Lahinch is 260km door-to-door. From my front door to the first 100km/hr section of the M7, it's 5.5km. Then it's roughly 220km of non-stop motorway driving to the Ennis exit of the motorway with only stops for rests (we have a toddler!) and 2 slow-downs for toll gates. The remaining 35km is essentially 80km/hr from Ennis to Lahinch.
    • As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm now trained into driving at 100-110km/hr (from ownership of a camper) so I was going to set the cruise control to 105km/hr and see how I got on. I'll do a 120km/hr test another time.....

Inchicore to Dublin - Friday, St. Patrick's Day, 11 degrees - Estimated range of car: 320-340km

• Set off with 94% (waiting on the home charger to be installed....) and no pre-heating of battery.
    • Arrived with 17% - so 23% remaining (I.e. if I’d started with a. 100% battery) and a predicted range of 60km left (which seems to be quite accurate), averaging 18.3kwh/100km according to the dashboard. So roughly 77% used for 260km which works out as a predicted 100-0 as 338km total in the 'tank'.

Lahinch to Inchicore - Sunday 19th March, left at 5 degrees and 6 degrees arriving at the Monasterevin charger and 9 degrees in Dublin at home, and the rain the whole journey - Estimated range of car: ~300km

• I got a bit of a top-up at a friend's home charger, then started to feel guilty about using his home electricity :), so then managed to snag one of the 'cheap' public slow chargers in Lahinch (ClenergyEV, 43 cent/kw: 60% to 100% cost me €12 and there's no overstay fee on those chargers) to bring it up to 100% for leaving. I got a bit lazy so didn't let it do the final "I'm 100% charged" and stopped it charging when it had been showing 100% and trickle charging for a hour or so. With hindsight, the battery was probably more 99% than 100%.
    • We left with 99%-100% and within 15 km had lost 6-7%! It seems there's a lot of energy in getting the car up to heat internally (and continued to do so for the trip...), and losses from a cold battery! Wowser...
    • Got home with 20.2kw/100km which works out as roughly 300km range. This way back was very interesting. Probably half way across the country I was looking more like 260km on the full 'tank' and average energy usage of 22.1kwh/100km, however once we got to somewhere near Portlaoise evidently the terrain smoothed out and efficiency settled down - it was still only 6 degrees and raining so it wasn't that it was getting warmer. I was genuinely thinking I was going to arrive in home with 1-3% remaining before the range started to pick up and settling to what I know would have been accurate as 300km - we would have arrived home with ~10%...... As it happened, and as I mention above, we don't have the home charger yet so decided to get a top-up at Junction 14 - partly also to test my ESB eCars account was set up and a fast charger. The charger maxed out at 107kw (considering I've only ever used home chargers before, just wow!) and put in 35% in 16 minutes: I.e. less time than it took for me to eat a sandwich (and it cost €16 for that 35%).

Final Notes:

• I'm much less wary of the boot after this weekend - it took more than expected. Still not incredible but it's more than usable for a long weekend or even more: we had a a full suitcase of clothes, a travel buggy, a baby hiking rucksack, a full load of wetsuits, dry robes and that related kit in the boot also and it wasn't jammed. If I'd taken the parcel shelf out, I could have re-packaged and fit in a 2nd suitcase easily.
    • MG Pilot: there's an obvious glitch... On the M50 there's no gap in any white dotted lines anywhere so it's excellent as the car just follows the lines. On our national routes, at every exit and every road joining, there's a gap of 10-20 metres where there's no line, I guess to designate where you exit. However....the self-driving gets thrown off by this gap and you need to pay attention. It's not scary and you can easily control the steering but you need to pay attention. I disengaged for toll gates but other than that, the car drove itself from the M50 bridge all the way to Ennis (with the odd exception where the self-driving disengaged momentarily at those motorway exits/entries). Note: you just direct the car where it should go - you do not touch the brakes as that disengages cruise control also. 10 metres later, the car 'finds' the lane again and takes over. Over-taking: as discussed, just lightly hold the indicator down, move lanes, let go, and the self-steer re-engages. It works very very well and I kind of like it has the the motorway exit quirk and it keeps you paying attention.
    • If at 5 degrees, the range is 300km, 11 degrees at 340, does that imply during the summer it'll hit close to 400km of motorway driving at 20 degrees? if so, fantastic!
    • Fast charging was great: starting at roughly 30% it ramped up quickly from 50kw to 70kw to 90kw before peaking at 107kw. By 60% of battery charge, it started to tail off and dropped back to 70kw. That's impressive considering it was 6 degree air temperature by the time we got to the charger.
    • I spotted it's using 20% power while driving at 105km/hr. And about 5%. power when driving around town at 50km/hr. I.e. you can see why a battery is so heavily depleted the faster you go.. I also think in Ireland - if you drive at 120km/hr, it'll get you there 20 minutes quicker. But you'll have to stop for 20 minutes for a top-up charge so it negates the benefit......

Any queries let me know as always....

Post edited by usual_suspect on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I seen one of these on the motorway today in what I can only describe as a greenish blue. Is there two blue colour choices for it? It looked nice. Certainly a different colour anyway.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

@usual_suspect I'm shocked you were using that amount to go from Dublin to Inchicore and back 😂

Waiting for edit in 3.2.1...

@Patser 😂🤦‍♂️ fixed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I still think it's a pity MG do not make a saloon version of this. I could some people who like it but prefer a saloon.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'm sure they'll do another model at some point in time - there's still MG7, MG8, etc. etc. etc.....

I've just moved from a saloon and glad to leave it - that shallow boot is always hassle for my own usage (which involves the odd large item).

There is an MG7 - it's a gorgeous Audi knock off, with ICE engine and only for sale in China.

Next 3 big things from MG, I guess - Are dual motor sports model MG4, next gen Marvel R (current gen available in Europe but not rhd) which is a more premium crossover than ZS and (what I'm watching for) the Cyberster/MGC - a 2 seater pure silly electric convertible with scissor doors besed on MG4 chassis which could be out later this year/early 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 14 QweenBea

Has there been any news on the MG4 Towbar at all? Last I heard I was coming in Q4 of 22, then Q1 of 23. I think there might be a 3rd party one around in the UK, but I'd be afraid to put one on in case it affects warranty.

• Advertisement

The last I heard from Frank Keane was it was under testing. And a quote of €1500 for it, including installation. Ouch… (I’m new to tow bars but that seems a good chunk of money for something I won’t personally use frequently).

Advertisement