Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is a nonsense statistic, completely meaningless.

It needs to be corrected for two factors, the overall death rate and the proportion of young people among the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭SeanW

Our overall statistics provide a clear picture. In both absolute and relative terms. We are consistently near the bottom in both European and Global rankings for fatalities etc. by all the main measures, and they are rare by absolute measures like fatalities per billion vehicle kilometres. The data are irrefutable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Looking at this, and your electrification comment it seems you think of it as either/or.

It doesn't have to be, and I would think it cannot be, a one size fits all solution.

I think we should be moving towards predominantly PT for urban, predominantly electrification for rural.

That's not replacing all conventional engines with electric, I'd guesstimate reducing overall numbers to 30ish% electric.

I would doubt other countries are looking at intensive PT for dispersed rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Most countries have existing train systems which provide a hub/town which you can go to, even if in a car. Then travel into the major cities for work. I know personally NL have an excellent train system. Quickly looking at other countries they have similar.

Ireland of course can do this but building out a train system now will take a lot of time and money. So looking at what we can implement quickly is buses, a bus will be better if you take the traffic off the road which is blocking it from getting quickly to the location.

People will still need cars in all situation and yes changing to electric for some road users will be better for the environment but our entire plan should not be based on more car users. We should be building a system which means that people dont need to buy a car. If you need a car just rent it, I used go car last week and it was an excellent service and this is quite limited at the moment

No PT system will work in Ireland at present without taking cars off the train, we don't have a train system in place to cater for that after years of no investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Interesting to note Citroen bringing back the Berlingo MPV in both petrol and diesel guises after being discontinued in 2020. They are citing increased demand as the reason. Clearly shows that a lot of families still require reliable, trustworthy transportation.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You drive a Quasqai, an SUV. You gona ban yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One would hope things would have improved in the 20+ years since I lived in Dublin, but it appears not much.

Back then I was two stops from the start of a bus route. On a fine day it worked but if it rained I could have had three or four full busses pass before one had room and stopped to pick up passengers. If more than one bus passed full my bus, walk, dart, bus commute fell apart and I could be an hour late for work.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chose.

On an individual level, unless you live and work close to direct public transport route, it is just too time ineficient to be fit for purpose.

My current commute is 30 to 35 minutes by car or more than three times that by public transport, including the 15 minute drive and walk to get to public transport in the first place.

I'd be half way to work by the time I'd only be starting into an hour and twenty minutes of a public transport journey. The marginal cost of using my car is also less than the cost of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Does a Qashqai qualify as an "SUV?"

This is a Nissan compared to a common SUV you find in the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not really an SUV, more like a pumped up Primera.

Thankfully not many American sized SUV's around, I do see a lot of those God awful Ford Raptor "pickup" trucks around, if any vehicle should be slapped with a congestion/pollution charge it's those!

• Advertisement

At about €80k the price is a barrier in itself.

Even those are small fry compared to the big six wheel pick ups in the US.

The good old boys would laugh at the idea of a 1.4 litre Nissan being called an SUV.

Not when you compare to an Escalade but yes when you compare to a mini, Corolla, Micra etc

Plenty of people driving them around as commercials... Crazy when you'd fit more items into a normal Van like a transit:

https://twitter.com/JohnLegge1984/status/1652709409288515590

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Public transport in this city is pathetic. But I do think there should be no free city centre parking for state workers and id introduce a toll to cross the canal. This would stop some some people being very lazy... reduce the Eastling toll or abolish it, it just funnels more traffic through city centre. Massively increase motor tax on new petrol and diesel car sales...

And the modern versions of the three models you mention are all a lot bigger than the original versions.

The thing is that SUV as a description has lost all meaning.

Partly the fault of the car makers marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Those rangers are fairly popular alright, usually with a Fox, Dakine or Evoc tail pad attached too 😄

I drive a raptor = tell me you're a mountain biker without saying you're a mountain biker!

Yes if shifting cargo is your thing a Transit is a better bet.

However the driving experience is completely different to a pick up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

We have one in work, awful driving experience compared to our Berlingo or Transit. It is really cramped with restricted view. I was really surprised when I got into it. Not sure why anyone would wnat one other than as a "style", it certainly isn't more comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why no free city parking for state workers only? If it's a good idea, surely it's a good idea for all workers, public and private?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You moan about PT being uselessmif you don't want to travel along its route structure and then think the huge investment in a metro is necessary to reduce those issues. Have you thought that logic through fully?

Ah so rather than the metro project currently being planned from Swords to Charlemont (i.e. a single line), you are talking about a whole network like London or Paris.

How much would that cost and how long would it take to plan and build?

The luas is a total joke. particularly in the city centre

Why?

Is it because of delays and if so, what causes those delays?

Its glacial, its undercapacity. Lack of segradation. For a rich European capital, its am absolute disgrace. Likewise that after two decades of ridiculous wealth, that is what we have to show for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nothing to see here, everything is fine and rosy.

Which of YOUR family members are you prepared to offer up to the inexorable death toll on the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

We’d rather build hospitals that look like football stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin Bus, Luas, and Go-Ahead have received fines of around €5 million for delays and no-shows.

This friends is public transport in Dublin. For anyone not living here, or not relying on it, it’s shît. The majority of credible travel journalists, writers and commentators absolutely slate the public transport system in Dublin… yet some green minded individuals want us to rely on it almost exclusively and certainly excessively….

unreliable, un-integrated, uncomfortable, inefficient and downright slow and expensive.

population is savagely exploding, will continue to 🫣 and tens of thousands more people per year will rely on a public transport system not in place for the needs and size of the city/county and it’s population, both in terms of population and land size / footprint which is for the county something like 922 km squared. Many of whom will need to access the city for work and other reasons….

a 10 euro charge won’t deter anyone. Just piss them off and hit their quality of life and that of their families. Pathetic from the greens, so out of touch with the realities of life in Dublin… they give not two fûcks though.

• Advertisement

Dublin should be looking at doing something like the Brussels "Premetro" concept where they underground part of lines and run trams on them.

It can't be that difficult to do cut and cover along the quays or something like that and run the redline underground for a couple of km.

You don't necessarily need full underground but you can do bits of it where needed.

If you could get in with a tunnel boring machine under the quays it might even be possible to do most of the construction without interrupting anything, then just divert trams down a tunnel when it's ready and turn the existing Luas track into a cycle route.

At this stage, Cork should have a couple of Luas lines and Dublin should have several semi-metro lines, with Luas elements going into every suburb and underground in the city centre. We are 50+ years behind where we should be.

There's a total lack of scale of vision on these projects and the inability to deliver them will ultimately choke the cities.

Dublin's density outside the city centre is probably fine for overground trams, if they could dip in and out of tunnels here and there.

Moving the port is also something that seems to be beyond comprehension for some reason, even though it's a very obvious thing to do.

We're not going to solve Dublin or any of the cities without spending serious money and we're clearly not prepared to do that.

I just see several cities growing rapidly, but being run into the ground by completely powerless local authorities without any ability to drive anything sensible and without the requisite budgets or remits to actually make any changes,.

Advertisement