Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Is the ending of the Energia D/N EV package the first step in the demise of the D/n meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It would depend on how existing customers are treated after their contract pricing ends. If they try to put me on a 20c+ night rate I'll find someone better,.

But, if you're seeing people like me - up to now fervent deniers of smart meters - now considering their merit, it speaks something about the DN pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not so much considering their merit though, just looking for the best of a bad lot amongst the tariffs in the event that we get squeezed off the D/N.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Interesting times though. Energia's new (crappy) day/night is a 2 year deal isn't it?

Which usually means that prices are set to go down and the suppliers are trying to tie people into a higher rate first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Possibly they weren't able to sustain the relatively cheap night rate. But I agree there's probably going to be a general push against good rates on the D/N meters in future

Flogas seem to be the next cheapest, although the standing charges around €400 would make you weep

I've always thought the concept of smart meters was a good one, if done correctly. So far the Irish experience has been a money grab from the energy companies

We need a provider in the market that'll actually try to bring some value to the customer, not like giving free leccy one day of the week and charging through the nose the rest of the time

I'd be quite happy to see dynamic pricing becoming available. It's not for everyone, but a bit of home automation and you can plan your battery charging and appliances a day in advance

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Flogas fixed for 12 months would be the next best option considering the price is fixed

Switch to our best electricity | Flogas Energy

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have Flogas been paying out FIT/Deemed export yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

EDIT: Answered my own Q on what's the 'Night Storage Heater (If applicable)'. - spotted it on Bonkers 'only apply if you have a separate Night Storage Heater meter'

That's the lowest night rate on that Flogas page. Wondering what would stop people connecting other stuff to that if they had it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

According to the website they pay out every two months, still waiting to hear if that's the reality though

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Lebruski

Hi All,

Is anyone else having trouble with Energia? Energia have calculated my deemed export at 117kwh for a 6 month period.

I am emailing back and forth but not getting anywhere.

I have a 6kw inverter.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Energia doesn't calculate the deemed fit, it's supplied by ESBN.

Maybe check that your nc6 is correct

I have been onto both, Energia and ESBN. ESBN are saying it's up to the supplier to calculate the deemed export.

Energia emailed me today saying, deemed export is "not accurate" and we can't do anything about it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When was your nc6 sent in?

Hi Mickeroo, It was sent in on the 16th of August 2022 and latest billing date was the 09th of March 2023.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Revenue guidance on micro-generation exemption is here. See page 58; 216D Certain profits of micro-generation of electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

So am I reading this correctly "The €200 exemption applies to each individual named on the electricity bill i.e. it is not divided between them." Does that mean with 2 people named on the bill the exemption is €400 per year or is my brain ready for bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

That is my reading, and also why there are two names on my our account now.

Even charging to 100% all year round, we will not hit €400. We will get full benefit of FIT. No need to work about scheduling the battery charge or monitoring the weather.

Seems it is also the greenest option too. Charge with clean energy at night. Export clean energy during the day.

Final bonus is there is a much better chance of charge in the battery in case of a power outage.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Advertisement

Why stop at 2 names? We have guinea pigs. I'd like them to contribute to the electricity bill from now on :)

Put them to work, get them some oversized hamster wheels and hook them up to an inverter 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westernfringe

Here's a funny one and I'm not sure what to do. Maybe over a year ago I refused a smart meter and got confirmation in writing etc from both my provider and ESBN. This was before I planned on getting solar. A few weeks ago I got solar put in. I have a backwards turning meter and immediately got a letter from ESBN to change my meter. I got a phone call then the same week from the ESBN installer wishing to arrive that day to put in a digital 24 hr meter. I put him off and bought some time and called and requested a DN meter then from my provider and they agreed. It took a couple of phone calls and I was told I wouldn't get any deemed export. My plan was maybe to get the DN meter put in and then see if I switched providers, would I maybe get the deemed export from another provider, as they mightn't know about my smart meter refusal?? ESBN still haven't come to put in the new DN meter and last week I received my bill that includes a microgen credit! So backwards turning meter and deemed export it seems. Still on the 24 hr tariff. Not sure what to do now. The bill is estimated too and over the amount of units I've used. I didn't imagine I would get the deemed export. Should I call my provider and see what the story is with the DN meter (should have been put in by now) now that they are giving me the deemed export even though I refused the smart meter ? Leaving it as is, with both the meter going backwards and the deemed export, as pleasing as it is, just seems like it will result in trouble down the line. At this stage, I'd be happy with the DN and deemed export, but would just be concerned that another phone call to my provider on it might flag the smart meter refusal again and the microgen payment get withdrawn. I don't imagine they're are many people that this has happened to??

Afaik once you get a smart meter, your prior ‘smart meter refusal’ ends, and you then get actual FIT, not deemed FIT.

You have refused a smart meter. If you get a DN or stay on the backwards one (temporarily), you’re not entitled to deemed export. As you say, could lead to future issues as you might have to pay it back.

Have a look at the other threads on smart meters from the top of pg 79 here. The really cheap Energia D/N tariff got removed this week it seems. Meaning the demise of D/N could be accelerated. So for some a 3-4 cheap night smart tariff might work (with a decent size battery who can load-shift a lot too). You can run the numbers on what FIT you expect to get and what those smart tariffs would cost you. To move to a D/N is free, but you are charged to move back to a 24hr or smart one.

I’m similar in that I asked to be moved ahead in the queue for a smart meter (while waiting on solar install), then realised it was a bad option on tariffs available at the time. Then I asked to be removed from that ‘early queue’ and no sign of it since. No idea if that is considered me refusing the meter.

Seems hit and miss on when the ESB notify the backwards meter will get swapped. Some here are 6+ months from the NC6 being submitted and have heard nothing. 

Do let us know how it pans out. Others are in a fairly similar boat (like me)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

@DC999 My meter was swapped yesterday for a smart meter. Had to get the tails upgraded as part of my rectification works. There was no arguing with them. They upgraded the tails and put in a smart meter - wasnt given any options. Smart meters had been installed in my area but when it was my turn they couldnt get it to fit in teh meter box.

I had posted that the smart meter wouldnt fit in my meter box - the lovely man from the ESB ( he was a grumpy old bastard) made it fit.

So much for the backwards spinning meter. I now have a smart meter and dont know the best course of action. Ill have to sign up for the export now and just export everything back to the grid preferably with a supplier that pays monthly or bi-monthly. Bord Gais can feck off with their twice yearly payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

hey folks... im waiting on my EI bill to issue for Jan to March.. i can see a usage figure, the government credit sitting on my account balance but no sign of a bill yet.. should have issued around the 6th.. i assume they will bill me at some stage? Billing was fine in January..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

i assume they will bill me at some stage?

No, you're off the hook. No more electricity bills for you! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thats it.. im wondering if my FIT and low usage is confusing them.. loathe to call them as will be on hold for a week

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You should have looked at your rights in this matter, covered many times before on Boards, you can refuse a SMART meter, do a google search on ministerial questions as Boards search function sucks.

Bit academic now though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement