Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Small Claims procedure - UK company

• 14-03-2023 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

Folks - looking for assistance re claim for faulty goods

I understand the EU Small Claims procedure may no longer apply to goods/services provided by a UK based company.

Short story - electronic/electrical goods were installed by a Irish Installer and commissioned by the UK supplier/manufacturer in June 2020. The item failed in January 2023. Installer is claiming Supplier is responsible (I agree somewhat, not totally because the installation appears to have been incorrect). Supplier is claiming the Installer is at fault (I disagree because final commissioning and sign-off was by the Supplier).

Value of goods is €2,156 in VAT but excluding installation. Hard to know installation cost but 1500 would seem reasonable guess.

If the EU Small Claims procedure is still in force as regards IE v UK, then that is clearly a route that can be taken. If procedure is now defunct per Brexit, what legal options do I have?

Note - I'm still trying to resolve amicably but am getting to the end of exhausting all avenues without going legal (or threatening going legal).

Thoughts, advice, opinion etc. gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Thanks for that - I did previously read that information page - this is the line that prompted my original question above:

I'm thinking that its likely I can't use the EU procedure (but I could be wrong since they use the words "may not" rather than "cannot"). If that's the case though, I have already complained to the seller but they are playing hard ball. So what would my next step be:

1. Let it go
    2. Call citizen's advice directly
    3. Call a solicitor

Thanks again for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭rock22

Who did you purchase the goods from, the Irish Installer or the UK commissioner. ?

Did you have two separate contracts , one for installation and one for commissioning?

Is this a business to business purchase or business to consumer?

Very pertinent questions!

Paid the local Irish Installer in full for goods, installation and commissioning - one contract with the Irish installer. So, technically, that's probably the route to take. But, the equipment is under warranty with the UK company - not with the Irish Installer.

The Irish Co. is somewhat piggy in the middle and I have a lot of sympathy for them. In fairness, I think they are going to cover it but the supplier will then (annoyingly) "get away with it". The equipment supplier did the final commissioning on behalf of the installer. The installer did make an error in the installation (which led to the damage) as mentioned in the original post. But the UK commissioning engineer signed off the system (though getting that in writing is so far impossible) and that is who the equipment warranty is with.

Lastly - business to consumer.

Cheers

You warranty is irrelevant because the guarantor is refusing to honour it.

You contract is with the Irish company and it is to them you must seek redress. You are protected by both Irish consumer legislation and EU directives.

You are only complicating things by putting yourself between the Irish company and his UK based supplier.

• Advertisement

Is there any legal recourse for a guarantor refusing to honour a warranty? Or, because they are are refusing to honour it, I should just let that go?

I agree with your second point and that I am complicating it - I guess I was trying to be fair to a genuinely helpful Irish Supplier and going after a totally unhelpful and obstructive OK equipment manufacturer (who after all, commissioned the final system).

Thank you for the help - I appreciate it .

What are the Irish company saying to you? And what are you looking for at this stage? Repair, replacement, refund? You have a better chance of success pursuing the Irish installer. Whether he has a claim against the UK manufacturer should not really concern you too much. It almost certainly wouldn't pay you to pursue action in the UK.

Advertisement