Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

just took out the carb.

The (outlet? thinner) air hose was dripping fuel when I disconnected it. Then when I unscrewed the bowl, it was full of fuel. Is that normal or is that a problem?

Sorry for dumb questions, I'm learnign this as I go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

I think you might have caused the float valve to not close, flooding the carb, and engine via the inlet manifold, possibly fuel in the oil. Turn over the engine with the plugs out. Check the oil level to see if its raised, and if it smells of fuel. That small tube is the crankcase vent, shouldn't be fuel in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The bowl should be full of fuel and it should carry on running from the float valve unless you lift the float up. If lifting the float doesn't stop the flow thats another issue. One common issue is the valve thats attached to the float getting stuck.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Or if you're not that familiar with carbs, the valve needle can fall out as you dismantle and you might not notice. Oops.

Needle is definitely in. Toook it all apart & put it back together again & it still has same effect.

I did turn the engine over with the plug out - nothing came shooting out the plug socket (that I have seen before)

Is it, at this stage, worth me taking the carb off again & taking it to a mower mechanic to try & sort it, or will he need the full mower to fix? As I said before I havent got a hitch at the moment, so cant get the mower to the shop :(

EDIT: After I typed above I realised I had forgotten to reconnect the solenoid wire this last time I put the carb back. Put it back on & the engine started :) Happy days I think.

Woudl that have made a difference? Have I just got lucky this tiem & may have an ongoing problem?

PS - I also checked the oil and it seems OK (at least no smell fo petrol in it)

• Advertisement

Other than running a fine straight wire through the jets, if the mower was left for a long period with petrol in it, its possible that its caused laquering of some of the ports. You can always trickle a drop of petrol, or squirt some brake clean, into the manifold while turning over just to check that the engine is firing and has enough compression. With this test it usually runs for a few seconds, then stops as there's no fuel getting into the air flow. The choke will create considerable suction, and this would normally permit a blocked carb to run badly at least. There may have been moisture in the bowel over the winter, and this reacts with the ethylene in petrol causing corrosion salts or crystals, which will block the main jet. Afaik, there's no solvent to get this out, including petrol itself. Poking with fine wire, and going over every visible port, removing mix and idle screws, its the only way. Maybe give it to your mower guy, he'll know how to clean it, might even have a suitable engine to test it on.

Thanks

I'm hoping that when I first stripped the carb maybe I didnt put the needle back in properly, and this time perhapsI sorted that. I did clean it with wire through the various holes & plenty of carb cleaner.

Anyway, its started at least once, so I'll try it this weekend and if it is temperamental I'll take the carb to the mower guy

I had it running again this evening and it seems OK. I did notice I need to use the choke each tiem I started it - it used to be first time only, and then it woudl start without the choke after that. But at least I can cut the grass and buy myself a bit of time to sort it out properly.

Should I be swapping out o-rings & gaskets in the carb? (do I dare take it apart again .... :))

Hot starting with the choke sounds like fuel mix too lean, jet still not clear, or the crankcase vent tube loose or split. If you can pick up a gasket set, by all means. The seal from carb to manifold should be good, air in here would affect idling, but unless the carb wasn't tightened down its not a massive running issue. Motorcyclists love/hate their carbs. Thank the stars for fuel injection in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I remember I asked about that last year, I'm however struggling to find it now, so once again - what are your thoughts about ride-on lifting jacks like this:

Is it sturdy enough? Is it safe?

On the other note: would the one below be any worse? It's approx 50% cheaper (incl. delivery):

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Cut the grass with it yesterday, thought i'd really screwed it up when the engine started racing, but then noticed the throttle lever had slipped off the carb. After that was fine. I'll keep an eye on it. At least I got the grass cut :)

Thanks @deezell and @The Continental Op for all the advice to get me through my annual troubles. I'll most likely be back next Feburary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Re: my above question - never mind, found it finally. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

You have a choice..Pick one and why?

Post edited by keano25 on

Roller mowers are for billard table lawns, 19" cut assumes a modest size immaculate laid lawn. If there is any deviation from this, hollows, coarse growth, roots lumps, moss, generally your average unmanicured front lawn, then cut height becomes important, and the Weibang at 67mm has a small but important height cut advantage over the Hayter, at only 60mm. You may need this extra though tiny clearance if your lawn overgrows even by a few days. Otherwise they're seemingly identical.

The Hayter claims to have an automatic variable pitch device for longer grass, and it has an aluminium deck, important enough as this class of mower is designed for very long life, I'd expect it to last 20 years plus of pristine lawn care. Weibang is steel deck, has the extra 7mm cut and a B&S engine. Over to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

It's that B&S engine that has me leaning towards Weibang.......

I'd normally agree, but the Hayter engine wouldn't be Chinese cheese. Price is about €140 over UK when you add exchange and extra 3% vat, but stock seems an issue, so I wouldn't expect bargains, but check this earlier version in Newry with B&S engine for £995, €1130. This ad may be out of date though.

https://www.esaleslocal.com/Hayter-lawnmowers.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Hi, Looking for some advice is that is ok? have moved to robot mowers and have a Viking MT5112 Z which I bought at the end of 2016, so has been used till last year when I bought two robots.

Sitting in shed and not great for it so going to bite the bullet and sell, kids will be devastated but it will rot away. Just wondering is the only option to sell on donedeal/adverts?

Also how much would it be worth? any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Based on it being in good condition I’d guess between 2200 and 2500.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

does anyone here know how to tighten the belts on a Countax mower? two belts directly over the deck belt (engine to gearbox is one, not sure what the other is), - they are extremely loose.

these are above the engine to deck belt - running along the length of the mower , from engine to gearbox.

• Advertisement

If you post the exact model number it should be possible to find the diagrams showing belt tensioner arrangement. Is this a hydrostatic drive machine? The drive to the hydro gearbox would not be particularly tight, as it takes modest power from the engine, and the hydro input pulley is often generously sized, so slippage is unlikely with modest torque.

The second belt is a mystery, or maybe not, as some countax models have a PTO, a Power Take Off pulley under the seat behind a cover, to which rear mounted powered accessories can be attached, by an additional small removable belt fed through. This would be driven by this extra engine to underseat belt, which would be slack until PTO is engaged by a jockey wheel tensioner I'm guessing. Here's a pic of a Countax with the rear pto pulley, and the link belt to an attachment at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Thank you very much Deezell for the detailed response. iv attached pictures showing where the loose belts are. doesn't seem to be any tensioner under my seat. Its a countax D1850

It looks like that underseat pulley is the PTO, according to the manual for the D18/50. Powered accessories are connected by looping a small belt over that pulley and out through a slot to the accessory. Is that pulley a double with a spare V belt space? It does look more like the hydro drive. Have a look at this manual, and see how it corresponds to your machine. Its very hard to tell from the images which belt is which. Do you have a PTO engage lever on the floor.

I took a look at the manual earlier and it has nothing on the drive belts the OP is on about its like they don't exist however this looks a little better

https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/countax/diagrams/countax-d18-50-lawn/4e600890-919e-4b21-9519/

the Jockey pulley plates A and B seem to do any necessary tensioning I suspect with the PYO is engaged so they should be quite loose otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smithymk11

If still available be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

About half past but only when its tuesday and its raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smithymk11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAEACA

Hi Guys!

Looking to move away from my Weibang push mower and get a ride on.

Neighbour has a Craftsman T3000 for sale. (5 years old). Purchased from a great local dealer and serviced by the dealer each year.

(Next service due now).

Went for a look today.

41" cutting deck, no marks/rust on the bodywork or deck, tyres looks good, running perfect. Seems a solid piece of kit.

Asking for €2,000.

How does that sound to ye?

• Advertisement

Sounds a decent machine the only snag is a quick google comes back with it being manufactured in the 2014 and 2015. So perhaps 6 years old? But if you can take another look at it you can work out the date from the serial number https://www.hunker.com/12496994/how-to-determine-the-age-of-a-craftsman-riding-mower.

Its a solid machine full specs are here https://www.tractorgearbox.com/craftsman_t3000_tractor_specs.html and possible issues listed here https://www.farmsunseed.com/craftsman-t3000/ do check it is a T3000 and not another model as there are a few that have a poor reputation.

Don't ask me about the price I always think second hand ride ons are too expansive. Is the grass bagger included?

Advertisement