Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Traveller culture to be promoted through school curriculum: Posted on BBC website!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

I'm amazed at how many people use American spelling for Travellers. It says a lot about the opinions and worldview they've absorbed online from the discourse of American culture wars i.e. a certain group is oppressed and therefore victims for all eternity, with no agency or moral judgment. Any attempts to criticise this group or hold them accountable for their own plight is "racism" or "hate". It doesn't help anything. I've personally known several Traveller girls and women who've suffered terribly at the hands of Traveller men - early marriage, domestic violence, sexual abuse. It is a brutally patriarchal culture and I see nothing to celebrate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I was being generous. The far right got less than 5% of the vote in the last general election.

But I'm sure a well researched commentator such as yours knew that and were referring to the fact that the far right couldn't even amass 1% of the vote.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've personally known several Traveller girls and women who've suffered terribly at the hands of Traveller men - early marriage, domestic violence, sexual abuse. It is a brutally patriarchal culture and I see nothing to celebrate about it.

There's literally a tolerance of abuse. I was told from the horse's mouth that once a sister/daughter is married off, the family aren't allowed to say a thing about what goes on behind closed doors between her and her new husband. Middle class boardies have no clue what they are on about, yet they'll tell us all how wrong we are all the same, while having no up close experience with the culture.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There's a notable difference between a small group of oddballs and a much larger group (the Irish left) including elected representatives who are free to indulge their partisan beliefs however they see fit, oftentimes in a manner which circumvents reality altogether.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'll share here some writings from Rosaleen McDonagh.

Taking into account my own humble attempts to paraphrase her arguments, one point I believe she makes is that negative one dimensional stereotypes, such as those displayed here, actually make it more difficult for those within the Traveller community to challenge gender based oppression.

The hateful notions that all Travellers are criminals, culturally inferior, or that all Traveller men are abusive, only feed into the racism Traveller women experience, making it harder for those woman to challenge roles within their own community, or report on crime when it does occur.

It's saddening to read her experiences of hateful and stigmatizing media content against Travellers, and to see the same type of content expressed here in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Or it’s just autocorrect and nothing to read into so cynically.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've asked that earlier and go no replies. I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, their supporters and those who champion them tend to struggle.

Just because the an occasional traveller wrote the odd poem, or was in the odd band, doesn't count in my book as a rich culture among travellers.

• Advertisement

Because it's clearly hateful and derogatory?

What culture in general 'enriches us a nation'? What does that even mean?

And who appointed you the country's art critic? If that's what you mean by culture.

Why don't you share with us how you rank or rate cultures? I mean UK culture is probably more widely known worldwide than Irish, does that make us culturally inferior to them? Are we culturally superior to, say, Slovakian settled people?

Scratch the tiniest bit below the surface and you'll see these comments are nothing more than a further attempt to spread hatred towards Travellers.

It was me who asked the question and used the term "enriches us as a nation".

I was basically asking for examples of culture that the general populace enjoy, and which is held up as something to be admired. Examples I could give might be famous poetry, famous art, architecture, music, plays, films. You might argue over semantics of using the term enrich, but you know what I'm trying to say.

So give us a few examples of famous pieces of work by the travelling community that would be held in high regard by this country and the world.

Post edited by NIMAN on

More deflection. I wasn't comparing any nations culture against any others. Each to their own.

But you seem to grasp the term culture ok by what you're saying, so come on, let's have some examples.

Or can't you list any famous examples?

As I said before, the use of the word 'culture' when used wrt travellers is very similar when used wrt the orange order (i.e. wrongly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Try buying a house in Rathkeale.

Theres a 2 tier property market.

Houses get sold for low price, to lower estate agent fees / stamp duty.

The balance is paid in coin.

Nobody can question this logic, or else.

I just need to know what's your basis for comparison?

All you can give me is that it needs to be famous. Is that it?

Should we teach 'Friends' in school then? I mean there's a famous cultural artifact.

If you're going to tell me one culture is valid and another isn't, you'll really have to explain it. It just makes no sense to me other than an excuse to throw hateful comments around.

I mean, I'm not aware of any 'famous' Sami cultural artifacts. Or Ashaninka. Or Druze. Are all of the thousands of minority cultures around the world made up to you?

Nobody's deflecting, just showing your hate filled, loaded question for what it is.

The truth is there are thousands of minority groups worldwide and few, if any, of their cultural artifacts are 'famous', or even familiar to a global audience.

That doesn't mean we should follow some kind of isolationist approach, and not teach kids to appreciate and understand a diversity of cultural viewpoints.

"The hateful notions that all Travellers are criminals, culturally inferior, or that all Traveller men are abusive" - who said that?!

And talk about *addicted* to using the word "hate" and derivatives thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Posters here are careful enough not to make such statements explicitly, but that’s the general tone of posters ONLY “sharing their experiences” 🙄

• Advertisement

If they are such nice people with noble traditions and a great culture then why do towns have to close down when there's a Traveller wedding on funeral in the area? Why do publicans, who have a name for greed, close their doors to Travellers? What Traveller values and traditions should we look up to?

Do you think Travellers are a homogeneous group?

They're not, just like the settled community.

Your attitude, and snide cowardly remarks, don't make all, or even the majority of, the settled community, ignorant hate filled racists.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

Tell us something positive about them then?

They are nothing like the their people of old who actually were liked and who had a culture. I remember them coming to our house to sharpen tools, knives etc and they camped on a lane nearby and sang and played cards at a campfire. They caused no problems and actually made attempts to clean up after themselves.

The modern day Travellers seem generally more interested in fighting with each other and are heavily involved in crime and drug dealing. Just look at the prison population. Totally different to their forefathers. Not all of course but a high percentage.

What are you looking for when you say, 'Tell us something positive about them'?

I couldn't tell you something positive about 'the French', or 'the Italians', without it being some meaningless broad generalization or stereotype. What does that bring?

I couldn't say how far back you're going when you talk about Travellers being liked. Back when I was in primary school in the 80's I remember kids talking about being warned to stay away from Traveller camps when they came. My father would have talked about when he was a kid, and in my grandad's time, that there were positive and closer relations between settled people and Travellers. I think this was especially so in rural areas where the services you talk about would have been provided, and Travellers and settled people would have had greater day to day contact.

Sadly I think there's an ever growing disconnect between Travellers and settled people. More and more we see this sensationalized view of Traveller culture particularly around violent criminals, or feuds, etc. Of course these things are happening, but how much more violent has society in general become in the last 40-50 years?

You've talked about Traveller funerals and weddings as being these awful occasions where towns are shut down. I'm not saying there hasn't been sporadic trouble at these events, but that's grossly over-exaggerated. With an estimated population of 40,000, and people returning from abroad too, I'd estimate maybe 500-1000 Traveller weddings and 500-1000 Traveller funerals per year. The vast, vast majority of these are normal happy weddings and sad funerals, happening without being noticed.

Likewise this figure of Travellers making up 7% of the prison population is being sensationalized. The majority of people in prison are from backgrounds with long-term unemployment, early-school leaving and addiction. All this figure points to is what proportion of those are Travellers. It's been bandied about a lot on this thread but no-one has yet, or will, show any sort of causal relationship between being a Traveller and crime.

What the people making those claims and sly suggestions about Travellers need to do is go and have a bit of reflection for themselves. Go and learn a bit about Traveller culture, think about the similarity between the problems facing Travellers and those faced by minority groups worldwide, maybe have a think about how we could play a part in bringing the Traveller and settled communties closer again. Leave the hate behind.

They are not 'sly suggestions' just read the court reports, news items or look at some of the 'call-out' videos.

The bad press they have is totally caused by their own actions. I also know a lot about Traveller Culture because i'm probably nearer your father's age. That culture is gone and unfortunately has been replaced by a new Traveller Culture of a completely different kind.

Well if you're judging any group by court reports or crime videos they won't look great will they?

Here's a small selection of videos on youtube that aren't 'call-out' videos, might give a more balanced view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2sLgw_fL2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vKhhqVNd4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9CSA55Pb9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQXw-4ToHgY

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And if documentaries aren’t your bag (and they’re not mine), the Mac sisters produce some fun content on social media that gives an insight into traveller culture and lifestyle that often gets misrepresented in the media -

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/6743492/irish-travellers-set-the-record-straight/

It’s far more engaging than the negative stereotypes of travellers and the dismal portrayals of oppression and misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So, no single positive aspect then? I mean, anything beyond what anyone else in this country (not world) can/does do. Granted, my view is skewed due to experience, but I still don't know exactly what their modern culture is. What defines a traveller now? As far as I can tell, they're no longer "tinkers" (the original meaning, not the "bad" one), they dress the same as everyone else, they drive modern vehicles, they have horses (but so do thousands of non-travellers). Like, I'm struggling to see what the modern traveller culture is. And if it's not distinct enough, in a positive way, then it's not a separate culture anymore, no?

I'm willing to have my mind changed, for my understanding to be expanded, but right now I see no difference, culture-wise, from most other people their ages now. Well, no positive differences anyway. If the culture is entirely based on the bad things they do, that's a different type of culture and not one we should be promoting in schools.

"Traveller culture and history". Does anyone know any significant events in traveller history?

• Advertisement

This nasty, derogatory question has been dealt with already.

It's a loaded, invalid question that has no answer which won't resolve to generalizations or stereotypes. By all means explain why it isn't if you can, but pretending you don't see the response given already and asking again with this faux innocence doesn't hold up.

Likewise this pretending not to know what Traveller culture is, so as to deny it's existence or portray it as inferior.

The idea that because Travellers dress more like settled people than they did before, therefore their culture is inferior or non-existant, is such a conveniently blinkered approach, it's quite clear it's purpose is nothing more than to marginalize and be hateful.

Guess what, all over the world people are dressing more alike, driving the same vehicles and eating the same food. This applies to larger and smaller ethnic groups.

If an American was visiting an inter-railing hotspot where young people from around Europe were on a night out, they'd struggle to tell cultural groups apart. All the kids would be dressed alike, listening to same music, behaving broadly the same, drinking the same drinks etc. As a settled Irish person in this scenario I could likely identify other settled Irish by certain nuances, maybe an O'Neills label, hairstyle or subtle behavioral clue.

Taking this global phenomenon and using it to belittle another group amounts to nothing more than bullying and nasty cultural racism.

If you really want to know what Traveller culture is go out and learn, rather than spending your time spreading hatred and prejudice. It would do you the world of good.

Advertisement