Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We have better referees these days. How could any referee who knows the rules allow that sort of score?

1.8 Player(s) may tackle an opponent for the ball. 1.9 Provided that he has at least one foot on the ground, a player may make a shoulder to shoulder charge on an opponent- (a) who is in possession of the ball, or (b) who is playing the ball, or (c) when both players are moving in the direction of the ball to play it.

When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

With all due respects you keep answering questions which were not asked and have little to do with the post posted.

Probably none of the basic basics of football have changed much, despite the evolution of playing styles. The number of shots, number of scores (number of goals, number of points), number of wides, number of fouls, number of sendings off. It would need massive research to find out, but that is the impression I have from many years of casual watching, live and on TV. Most likely the yardage covered, and the number of passes made would be higher now, but I don't see that as a detriment to the game.

I would disagree with almost all of that…

Goalkeeper much more protected

Pulling down players going in on goal much changed

Freetaking regime much changed including sidelines .

I would see the overuse of the handpass and the propensity of the desire for possession football

as slowing killing the game as an entertaining watch.

Like I said 49 hand passes to end in a free to the defense is not my idea of entertaining and

exciting football…. and never will be.

Needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what is the rule about how many can tackle a player in possession? is there supposed to be a limit on this? like 2 players?

its another aspect of the game now that looks awful, a player with possession and 3 or 4 opposition players surround him, resulting in a free against the player in possession, even though he was smothered and couldn't do anything with the ball.

• Advertisement

Swarm defence I believe it’s called, in that case dropping the ball would be the only way to avoid being penalised.

So there isnt a rule on how many can tackle 1 player in possession? I think it should be 2 players at most.

Not that I know of.

I don’t think your suggestion would be practicable, to be honest.

I don’t think major change is needed, just tweaking here and there .

I would concentrate on the excessive handpassing and putting more responsibility on the ball carrier to release the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Ah this old chestnut again football has never been better go back and watch games from the 70s 80s 90s even the early 00s it was absolutely shite. It was slow there were almost no tactics teams just booted the ball away constantly it was truly awful stuff.

The only thing I hate about modern footballers is frees being kicked backwards I'd have an immediate red card introduced for that.

id say you could easily bring in that rule on 2 players max tackling the player in possession.

They have to ban 30 players in one half and the goalkeepers coming out with the ball.

• Advertisement

And blanket defense football is poetry in motion yeah? I hope a few teams start playing a couple of 6'4 full forwards and just boot the ball in over the blanket defense and maybe that will put an end to the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't mind frees going backwards as a last resort. But nowadays, it seems to be the default position for players when they win a free, and it is not kickable for a score - the first reaction seems to be to turn around and kick it backwards. Not everyone does it of course, but a very significant amount do.

Another poster mentioned about the swarmed "tackle". I think there was a rule previously whereby you couldn't have a 2 man tackle. But I think that was done away with a number of years ago.

There are many teams with 6'4 forwards. You'd need a very specific type player to carry that role. Would need to be strong enough to hold of a couple of defenders trying to hold him off from jumping. You'd need a very good fetcher of the ball. the player would need the skillset to release the ball asap before getting swarmed by the nearby defenders. And he would need to be able to kick accurately if getting a mark. Also if the only tactic that a team is showing is belting in a high ball, you would need players who can deliver a ball 40 metres and for it to drop approx. head high in front of the forward. If that is the only tactic, the opposition will prioritise pressuring the kicker so they don't get time to put in the perfect ball.

The big full forward has been tried before against mass defenses. You could be lucky and haver the other forwards clean up breaks. But generally it doesn't work. And for some reason, refs seem to give defenders the benefit of doubt against the larger forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

An Equally valid a question is when will die hard ‘saw-Ker’ fans admit it’s total bollocks…!

1.8 Player(s) may tackle an opponent for the ball.

There is a process to change rules or bring in new ones, nothing is easy. The first consideration for your ideas, would be whether the players would accept them. You could say that in soccer there should be a rule to stop players going to the corner flag to waste time, or to stop a certain number of the oppositon crowding round him. But that would just be pointless interference with the natural flow of the game.

If I was a coach, I would advise players unable to release the ball to a colleague, to hold on and have a free against them given. That way his team has a better chance of organising the defence, than if he releases the ball to the opposition. Any game I was at, it was the referee who got it wrong when a player was being tackled by more than one of the oppositon. One section of the crowd were shouting "Ref, that's a free, they won't let him play the ball". The other section were shouting "How long Ref, how long".

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

That has been tried and failed also most teams don't play a blanket defence anymore as the best teams know how to beat it most teams now attack as a team and defend as a team. It is a million times better than the rubbish of years ago where players just stood in their positions and aimlessly hoofed towards one another.

I think what you are referring to the ‘Third man tackle’

What that was was a player on say team A blocking a player from team B from getting near the ball carrier from team A.

That was outlawed some time ago.

Im not sure why you think it was aimless passing years ago, the majority of long kick passing wasn't at all. I played club football and even we didnt just kick and hope most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eldudeson

For me, the biggest issue with GAA is the fact that there are elite teams (Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone) and then the rest. Every now and again one of the rest pokes their head above the line and has a good season (Galway last year, hopefully they can repeat that), but usually teams below the elite stay there and that's it.

In Leinster, the 2 teams that got to Division one recently (Meath and Kildare) lost all 7 matches and went straight back down.

And as for the Leinster provisional title, who want's to go and watch the team that will eventually lose heavily to Dublin. Remember up to the 2010 when the Leinster semi finals would both sell out Croke Park. Now a double header will get 50000 and the bulk will be Dublin fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭threeball

There needs to be a rule brought in to limit the amount of handpassing. Start off with something like, the ball must be kicked after a solo. If you had time to solo you had time to kick it. That will cut down on lads standing up taking a solo then firing a 5yard handpass to another guy who does the same and sends it back. You can go on a solo run, hopping and soloing all you like but once you move the ball on it must be a kick.

The handpassed score should also be eliminated. Changing these two things would have a dramatic change on the way the game is played. A kick pass is probably 60-70% less likely to be pinpoint accurate than a handpass. It also opens up the possibilty of being blocked as the defender knows the ball must be kicked. The higher rate of turnovers would result in more defenders staying back as the likelihood of being caught for a goal on the counter will go up dramaticaly. Pressing will also be easier, resulting in more turnovers.

Running into a crowded penalty area will more likely result in a block or a turnover with no handpass score option so shots will be taken from further out as the percentage of success will be higher.

It would also be worth exploring placing an arc that would run from half way between the sideline and the post out to 35m. Shots from inside would be worth 1pt. Shots from outside would be worth 2pts. Cynical fouls inside the arc would result in a penalty. Cynical fouls in the rest of the pitch would result in a free from the edge of the arc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

There always has been and always will be elite teams and rest. Nothing can happen to change that. What would you propose to make things closer between best and the rest?

I fear that the cynical players would reject your ideas. Just like they rejected the 3 handpass limit, after it was tried for a while.

should players have a say in rule changes? I don't think so. in a few years them players will be retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭threeball

No doubt, but the GAA need to decide whether they want the game to die or to bring an exciting spectacle that everyone wants to watch. Short term thinking that benefits the few is what Ireland is built on and its never served us well, in sport or politics. All the major sports try to improve their product so more people will watch. Rugby brought in the 50:22 to encourage attacking rugby. They brought in bonus points for 4 tries.

I looked in the local paper last week and one of the most storied Colleges in GAA was eliminated in the group stages of the championship but their Rubgy team is in the final. Rugby wasn't even in the school 10yrs ago. Now its becoming a true option as a first preference. The GAA need to grasp the nettle. Implement positive rules changes and start the move away from the provincial farce.

Everyone wants to watch. The Meath game on Saturday is already sold out from what I'm reading. Full houses in plenty of fixtures so far in the League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

As someone who’d follow any sport- Gaelic football is charterless and any fool could play it without been any good similar to soccer which equally any fool could play .

Rugby & Hurling are by a country mile the two most entertaining sports to watch of mainstream Irish sports .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Ah stop you're talking about skill in sports and then go on to talk about rugby.It's hardly the most skillful sport in the world. Far from it!

As for it's entertainment value well that's subjective, you couldn't pay me to watch it. Lads kicking the ball back and forth to one another hoping the ball will bounce in a randomly favourable way or that the opposition makes a handling error they can capitalise on. That's even before getting into the stop-start nature of the game where it breaks down every 20 seconds. Not for me!

Other sports I don't like I can at least see appreciate their skill. Not the case for rugby. You have to be big and spend most of your time in the gym, seems to be the most important attribute to the game.

You mentioned that any fool could play soccer...it's infinitely more skillful than rugby.

As for hurling it's not nearly half as skillful to score compared to football. I'm not saying football is more skillful but from a scoring aspect it's far too easy to rack up points in hurling and it severely takes away from the game. Think about it, is it easier to score from 45m in football or hurling...or anywhere on the pitch.

Post edited by WesternZulu on

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eldudeson

I agree there has always been a difference. I just feel that now it's a bigger gap without a way forward for the weak counties. It's not something that can be improved easily. My point is that there is no Leinster competition any more and that's showing in the crowd numbers. It's not the quality of the game that's the issue. It's that Dublin will win the title so there's no point in going to watch your team being beaten by 15 points at half time. I stopped even considering going to watch my county being destroyed by Dublin a long time ago and that has nothing to do with the quality of the sport. If I though we even had a 10/1 chance of winning I'd consider it but for now it's more like 100/1.

I'm not proposing a solution. I don't agree with any suggestion that Dublin be made somehow weaker. It's up to the other counties to make up the difference but it doesn't look like they're capable of it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Well done on showing a very high level of ignorance about rugby!

Rugby doesnt break down every 20 seconds and kicking the ball down field is about territory... if you cant even admit/see there is any skill in rugby then dont even mention it. i dont like how gaelic is played and certainly not how its refereed/how the rules are in place now but that doesnt mean i cant appreciate the skill levels of those involved.

When you say way forward for weaker teams? Forward to what exactly? I think we need to have a better tiered level of competition through the year for counties. most counties play the majority of their games in January, February and March and the overall season continues to August. Thats so wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

How is a referee supposed to manage that, it’s simply impossible. Will cause more chaos.

agree 100% that the handpassing over the bar should be scraped

Advertisement