Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fair, I do see site limitation at times there, sometimes the chargers are limited to 3kW each side. Strange setup. I have been there recently with all 4 in use though. It's one of my favorite park and charge locations as there is a tesco and dealz on site so good for doing the shopping if I'm in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Agreed - it is very easy to miss the turn off for the Ionity chargers at Kill North and South.

I often wondered why there isn't a large Ionity sign just before the turn-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I guess it's to do with the fact that they're renting the land from a forecourt operator. The likes of Circle K might not want to advertise a charging network which will likely be a competitor in the next few years

I wonder will this change with Ionity going for bigger hubs like Mornas which have a shelter and a big Ionity sign on the top

It'll be a long time before we see that in Ireland however

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Call the council and ask them how much is the yearly cost to put a sign up on the motorway.

I'm going to go on a limb here and suggest that it's probably cheaper than a 1.5MW grid connection 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

How long after the grant is "granted", do they send you the money? Got notification Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

TII won’t give permission to put advertising signs along a motorway. (I’m not sure about their policies for Dual Carriageways like the N7.) That’s why you see advertising painted on the side of trucks parked in a field.

RTE news : EV sales on course to deliver 'a step-change' in 2025

Trying to figure out if the guy from SEAI is a genius or an idiot.

He claims the charging network isn't holding back EV adoption, 80% of charging will be done at home and drivers will only be stopping for short breaks to charge.

He also said that someone could drive from Dublin to Mayo and potentially back in one charge

I'd say the last point is pretty optimistic, maybe in a Model S in the height of summer but pretty much everything else will need a top up

I think he's correct that the majority of charging will be done at home. Although unless there's major changes to allow people without driveways to install a home charger then that "home" charging will in reality be public charging, in which case we're back to needing hundreds of thousands of AC chargers

I very much disagree that the charging network isn't holding back sales. As has been discussed before, Ecars have zero ambitions regarding the charging network and seem content to roll out inadequate facilities and call then hubs. Seriously, boasting about a 100kW charger in 2023 🙄

More players are joining the game but we've seen from Applegreen that installing chargers and then getting power to them are two different challenges

And compared to the scale of the hubs being installed in the UK and Europe, ours are just way behind.

I mean, we're getting excited about 2 chargers at Castlebellingham and a 6 car hub in Belfast when there's a 20 car BP pulse hub just opened in the UK and two 16 car Ionity hubs just opened in France

Tesla at least seem to be willing to install decent hubs in Ireland, Ionity seem to treat us like the forgotten child

I've no doubt the network is improving but I think there's a lot of people hearing horror stories about queues and are deciding to hold off for a few years

So I guess my conclusion is that he's an idiot 😬

I'm going to go even further out on a limb than before and suggest that painting "Ionity, high speed EV charging, located at Cashel and Kill" on a couple of trailers and paying to park them in a few fields along the M7 is definitely cheaper than getting a 1.5MW grid connection 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And it won't take 3 years either waiting for the ESB 😂

• Advertisement

I think his dublin to mayo and back is a specific reference to a recent EQS coast to coast video from Derek Reilly where he said he could go coast to coast to coast in it

Fair point, but I think it's fair to say the majority of EVs sold in Ireland in the past few years would need a charge

And I also think it's fair to say that the SEAI should be catering to the masses

My main issue with the comments is the total lack of ambition being demonstrated by SEAI, ESB and the government in general

Saying we don't need hundreds of thousands of chargers when mass deployment of AC chargers to on street parking and encouraging overnight charging is way better for the environment and grid than using HPCs during the daytime

And drivers need reliable charging hubs, something which ESB Ecars is not. Turning up to a 150kW charger to find it blocked because there's a car plugged into the 50kW beside it and the cable doesn't reach is just not good enough

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

In my experience people in the modern housing estates with townhouses and "shared" parking will go to war over having to park on the wrong side of the street. I don't think the same crowd will be willing to walk more than 50m to charge their car instead of parking outside their door.

Oh I agree to all the above, and the SEAI guy shouldnt have said it, but just saying thats where he got it from. Power of YOOTOOB and all that lol

I absolutely agree, but if home charging is the objective, and we can take it from the SEAI spokesman that it probably is, then AC chargers on footpaths will be the solution

And unless councils dramatically change their opinions on having homeowners put a charging pillar the kerb, or cut a covered gully for cables across the pavement, then it falls to the council. In that case it's likely to be a "public" charger even if it's outside your house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It looks to me as if Declan and others want to do as little as possible....

That doing the job properly is too hard for them.

They need to be replaced by people with the skills to get things done properly.

Who'd actually love and relish the challenge of doing things properly.

Edit.....

Its like the job of managing the EV transition has been given* to unenthusiastic people who are doing something they've been told do.

But don't actually want to do it....

*at official level

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Isn't that the model for any Irish Government initiative, if you do nothing for long enough eventually the market will solve the problem on it's own.

I was watching an interview with Mariana Mazzucato, one of two authors of The Big Con which is about how management consulting firms are basically scamming governments out of millions and hollowing out the civil service

She made a great point in that when public services make a mistake and something doesn't work out it's a huge scandal and there's public outcry. So there's not much incentive for very dynamic thinking and risk taking

And given that the government may change in a few years and completely change direction there's not much reason to get hugely invested in something

So it can be easy to see why there's a bit of a lack of enthusiasm in public services. And as you say they'd much rather just let the market sort out a solution, that way they can take some credit if it goes well and shrug their shoulders if it goes wrong

While I agree with her to some degree I'd much prefer if civil servants exercised a general degree of caution and didn't try to have the startup mentality.

If you think of Amazon or Google, for all their success there's been a lot of failed ideas. While it's fine for companies to lose their investors money, if a government sinks a whole load of money on something that messes with a lot of people's lives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just copy what already works in other countries. No need for reports or trials.

• Advertisement

Good old Andy calling out The Sun for it's bullsh!t articles on EVs

TLDR version, a couple supposedly went in holiday for two weeks and found their Leaf had lost ~40% of battery somehow, possibly after leaving the preheating timer on (even though the Leaf won't allow you to preheat below 20% SoC)

They then somehow failed to search for any rapid chargers in the area and ended up at an AC charger and had to charge for 3 hours to get home. Now they own a BMW instead

Right...

The "journalist" in question seems to get their articles from social media, always a very reliable source 😏

I'm willing to bet the writer also posted the story to social media under a fake name. Nothing like making up something on a slow news day

As Andy correctly pointed out, 30 seconds of fact checking would reveal that, if true, the couple just f**ked up instead of there being a deep problem with EVs.

While I sympathise, this is the equivalent of writing an article saying you can't use a petrol car long distance because someone got stranded after leaving their engine idling for a week and then driving past 4 petrol stations

If it smells like bullsh!t, and looks like bullsh!t, then it's probably bullsh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Karaoke and avatars…..

https://www.ft.com/content/64b52fa1-6db9-48ae-86fb-69c15f346a9e

VW ramps up investments in electric car transition with €180bn injection

Money will be used over next five years to produce batteries and fund expansion in US and China VW chief Oliver Blume aims to use investments to strengthen the carmaker’s position in China despite pressure to diversify supply chains and sales away from the country

Volkswagen is ramping up its investments in electric vehicles, committing €180bn over the next five years to manufacture its own batteries and expand in the world’s biggest markets in the US and China. It is a 13 per cent increase on last year’s pledge of €159bn with just over two-thirds of the money set aside for the transition to electric vehicles and software as the car increasingly becomes a connected device, where the smartphone links with the functions in the vehicle.

Chief executive Oliver Blume said the world’s second-largest carmaker by volume would use the investment to target growth in “key markets”, adding that 2023 would be a “decisive year” for the group. Despite pressure to diversify both supply chains and sales away from China following rising geopolitical tensions, VW aims to use investments to strengthen its position in the country, where it makes half its profits. It has taken the view that China is unlikely to invade Taiwan in the short term because of the shock this would cause to its own economy, according to one person who has been part of internal discussions.

Blume said that VW had to “listen to the Chinese customer more strongly”, adding that in-car karaoke machines and the ability to craft avatars were among trends its China-based software division Cariad was developing. An in-car avatar would be like a passenger that could be used to visually give the driver guidance and assistance on directions and hazards.

The German carmaker’s announcement comes as the industry steps up the switch from combustion engines to battery-powered vehicles. VW has gone further than rivals with plans to not only assemble batteries but also manufacture cells. It recently announced plans to build an electric vehicle plant in the US and a supporting battery factory in Canada, lured by US president Joe Biden’s $369bn package of subsidies and tax incentives for green energy in the Inflation Reduction Act. Blume said on Tuesday that he had hashed out plans with Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, welcoming the country’s approach to investment “risk sharing” as it agreed to offer VW tax incentives based on sales. The owner of brands such as Porsche, Škoda and Audi also revealed it had taken a €2bn hit related to the sale of its business in Russia.

That's the verdict, and I'll grant them that finding a charger with the Leaf satnav is basically useless

However they were able to use the app for the car, implying some level of technical awareness

And if you were sitting at a charger for 3 hours would you not once try googling chargers nearby and suddenly find zap map or an equivalent?

Pure user error, and like I said I sympathise. But there's no story about inadequate charging networks there either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

... adding that in-car karaoke machines and the ability to craft avatars were among trends its China-based software division Cariad was developing.

Ahh.. Give me strength! They are looking at flipping avatars! They need to focus on the basics like sorting out OTA and scheduled charging, not karaoke for the Chinese!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

these articles are very damaging, people take them as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous but not enough to be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hopefully the car won't need to go back to the dealer to change the avatar's outfit. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Here is the flip of the story. This morning I stopped to charge at Ionity Kill, arrived with 2% SoC it was 4 Celsius and raining. The charging peaked at 191kW

I stopped charging after 11 minutes, at a charging speed of 125kW SoC 40%

I pumped 30kWh in 11 minutes, enough for about 200km and it cost me a tenner. Average charging speed bit more that 150kW. It is not the first time when I do this, but this time I documented it because of a previous discussion when people were saying it is better to have multiple 50kW instead of less high powered. I did not go to the toilet, did not eat pastries as it would have slow me down, with the morning queues from the ICE drivers. Would they publish that? No cause it doesn't sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Advertisement