Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would like to experience travel assist.

It's wonder that wasn't standard on all models? I'd say it would be brilliant to have though if you were on the road a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

I can understand it not being a standard, things like keyless and rear camera being extras I find boggling. I had 2014VW before no frills outside of set speed cruise control. The first day I used adaptive cruise control I was impressed no end, simple indicate and drift to the right to overtake on motorway was bliss! Experiencing the bumper car experience of staying in the lane was less fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Looks like the ID3 does not give a warning that the key battery is low. Mine would not open car on sunday morning. Spare worked. Replaced battery cr2032 and away again. Car 25 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Got a low battery warning a few weeks ago and every day until I changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Same here. Might be a problem on some software versions or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ev fan

Just changed from my ID3 to a Cupra Born. My ID3 was 211 Style model with 23K kms. Also was one of the lucky ones to get the 3.0 OTA update. My ID3 is a very good car and with 3.0 % charge showing/ timed charging working- software was fine by me. The problem for me was lack of premium feel on internal furnishings (given high price of car) and to a lesser extent the external looks. IMO the Cupra Born beats the ID3 hands down for looks and premium feel inside and out. The facelifted ID3 is an improvement but still doesn't bring the car up to the internal quality of the Cupra. Also very importantly the Cupra is the same car functionally as the ID3. 2 weeks in and I am very happy with the Cupra and the choice that I have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

How did you get on with the trade in.... what sort of cost to changeover? Great if you can share.

Trade in price for the ID3 was good at about 10% or so depreciation to original cost price of the car in 2021. I think this just reflects the lack of 2nd hand supply in the market along with new car supply delays. This seems to be confirmed when you check asking prices for used ID3's on e.g. Carzone.ie. (crazy high) I think trade in prices could soften a lot in 9 months or so as a lot of ID3 cars will be coming off 3 year PCPs' etc and will come onto the market. I looked at the new ID3 facelift prices and for the style model I figured you are looking at close to eur50k post grant reductions etc. - honestly can't see VW selling many at those prices- given Tesla price reductions/ good quality (apparently) lower cost Chinese cars coming into the market. Also looks like EV grants are going to be reduced mid year to divert Govt money charging infrastructure (badly needed IMO). I suppose the other question is whether CUPRA prices will change much or not - I believe they have gone up 3% since the start of the year. My Cupra with extras was eur44k approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think ID.3 Style was about €37k OTR in 2021

So, cost to change from 211 ID.3 to 231 Cupra was €10k?

Without giving you the precise number it was around the 12k euro mark. My thinking was if I waited to replace the ID3 like for like the cost to change was going to be a lot more at current quoted facelifted car prices. The Cupra on the other hand has a better spec'd base model - sports seats/ kessy/ camera etc. So with a few additional judicious extras I got the Cupra considerably cheaper than an equivalent high spec ID3. That said, who knows- maybe prices of Cupras and ID3s' will reduce in the future to compete with cheaper EV brands?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I got 30K for my 211 reg ID3 when i traded in in 4 weeks ago. It was a businees spec 204hp 58kWh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Comer1

I got €31,200 for my 212 ID.3 Life 204BHP, 58kWh with 64,000km a few weeks ago. It's currently up for sale for just under €34k. I think I did well enough.

on the VW site it only lists stock only for buying an ID3, do we know the prices of the facelift? or maybe new revisions of ID4?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Anyone notice the Widget now refresher's the kilometer's by tapping the top right hand corner.

Noticed I needed to re login to the app last night, could tell what changed. That refresh icon was there befoe for me but never worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Same here had to re login..Just tried the widget again and seems to work fine

If you go into the vw.ie site you can download the product guide for the ID3. 4 models to choose from - the Style model I was looking at would be close to the euro 50k mark with metallic paint after grant etc. Also there is a note saying that you wouldn't get the models shown but the facelifted model. As I understand it the current design ID3 will be finished with all existing open orders - new orders will be the facelifted model. I think they are too pricey for what you get versus competitors. I think VW may have to drop their prices....... also they are planning to make an ID2 and launch at euro 25k? I think battery prices have to come down- also I wonder about the plethora of high tech widgets and gadgets that are being increasingly added to cars......... I wonder how much they continue to add to base model cost.

Thanks @Ev fan , I'm 221 and thinking where abouts the inflection point is for resale - I really love my ID, hate the look of a Tesla and would be happy with another ID again, in an ideal world with added boot space.

I fear the tech in the cars is only going one way, and very worried every day will come with everything and then a subscription model to monthly unlock them, already there for some cars including ID's it think. Like every year some manufacturer comes out with a no frills cut down phone , yet they never take off, I think we have entered the age of more tech than car.

You could readily hang on to your ID3 for at least another 2 years. Given the relatively low numbers of 221 ID3's produced then there won't be that many available selling as 3 Yr old- also given that it is a VW it should have good appeal. I imagine that what might dictate pricing will be the availability of cheap but good competing brands. In particular the Chinese which appear to be coming strongly into Europe. The Ora Cat is priced relatively high so not a huge problem for VW but then you have the copycat MG4 coming in at a much lower price. Also you have the BYD Atto3 and no doubt quite a few more other Chinese brands about to come in too. That being said I would guess that the EU would intervene to protect the European car industry with EU tariffs (Cars imported into China are hit with tariffs). Mind you if some company comes up with new EV battery technology with twice the current energy density at half the cost then all bets are off!. On your ID3 boot comment I agree with you......I am a golfer and I could just about fit the clubs into the boot on the diagonal. Another 15 cm in length would make all the difference- also when you are travelling and need to put a few big cases in the boot!

@Ev fan good comments, yes am kinda hoping my 221 buy means Im slightly less common than the bulk of firsts, kinda worried everyone will want a tour5. Re the battery tech, I think VW bought some solid state tech company about 2 years back - all dark since then. Regardless I don't see any new battery tech being on the <100k consumer side in the next 5 years. I think I will pay the dealer a trip towards years end if only to window shop. Yup just struggling this morning with boot tetris for a longish trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I haven't been in a Cupra Born but I wasn't impressed with the Formentor. I thought the car was a bit gimmicky with a lot of bronze plastic and fake carbon to give the illusion of a sporty brand. The interiors on the ID3 and the Born look identical just with different surface treatments from what I'm seeing online. I've never been a fan of Cupra. I just don't get the appeal or all that bronze.

You have to bring out your inner CHAV to get the appeal of the copper effects. I've started to wear big medallions again to go with my copper alloys! On a serious note of course, it's down to personal preference as to what you might like. Here is my take on Cupra VS ID3 - on a number of points. Ist off I don't buy into the Born being sporty at all - it has the same performance as the ID3 with maybe a slightly better suspension/handling/steering IMO. My last 3 cars were the ID3, an egolf executive and a T Roc. The egolf has a gorgeous interior- the other 2 have a mediocre functional interior built to a budget. I honestly think that VW have a blindspot when it comes to internal furnishings - and yet they do a lot else so well. One major difference I think is that there is a full length centre console between driver and front passenger. When you sit in on the sports bucket seats you feel cocooned/cosy even pampered IMO. Peugeot cars I believe have the same reputation for internal "cosseting". The ID3 has a more open cockpit with a lot of open space and is minimalist- to be blunt cosy/cosseting it ain't! It feels bare and non premium with too much black plastic. On the Copper thing of course you could consider it a bit blingy- personally I find it inoffensive and for me it lifts the whole interior........maybe the copper is some sort of Spanish Iberian vibe! As they say to each his own.

Yes, it definitely comes down to personal preference. VW interiors are relatively minimalist but high quality. I've been through a few Audis and VWs and it really comes down to what you like. Audis are very dark inside but the materials and displays are better than VW. What VW do well is offer lighter interiors, for example the white steering wheel on the ID cars really lifts the interior and the brown leather effect on the ID4 is lovely, but again all down to taste. For a while we had an ID and an Sline Audi. I loved jumping in and out of the ID because the interior was lighter and brighter and I like the open cockpit feel. The Audi always felt dated and too sporty for my taste. I'm not someone you likes bucket seats. I'll be interested to drive a Born soon. I reckon my brother in law might buy one as he also really likes the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

36k!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The Tour was great value at 41k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's what I got. It was €43k including service pack and OTR as far as I remember. I haggled €2k off and got it at €41k with 0% PCP.

Just for interest I noticed my traded 211 ID3 Style (glacier white) up on Carzone.ie the other day asking euro 38k

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My old car is up for sale now for €1,000 more than I sold it for at the end of last August. The buyer added 20K KM in 6 months.

You make a good point about dark vs bright interiors. If you have dark/grey roof linings then this can make the car quite gloomy inside especially for passengers in the back seats. My Born has the panoramic sunroof which keeps things nice and bright- mind you it's a costly option.

• Advertisement

I sold my A3 for 36k to a dealer and it's back up at 44k, the same price I paid for it in December. Every dealer offered me 36k. Where are people getting these amazing offers for their cars?

Advertisement