Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• The student has requested to be called a new name and use “they/them” pronouns.

the media misrepresentation that they’re therefore transgender is not my problem. It’s been documented here very often that the student is non binary.

Im not being a dick I’m correcting inaccuracies that I’ve been seeing since this thread opened. If my posts are too snappy for you by all means put me on your ignore list or just keep scrolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they might see something that upsets them. Like somebody having fun for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Bullying must be repeated to be considered bullying.

What is Bullying?

Bullying in the workplace has been described in various ways. The Health and Safety Authority’s definition is that it is:

"repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual‘s right to dignity at work."

An isolated incident of the behaviour described in this definition may be an affront to dignity at work but as a once off incident is not considered to be bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

I don't think we are arguing the same thing. I'm arguing that when the Burkes think they actually have a case they act reasonably. They hire legal representation and behave themselves. It is when they realise that they don't actually have a case that they act like gobshytes. And it is pretty obvious which situation we're currently in.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭GarfieldandPookyBear

“You can argue semantics all you want. In this case, why isn't Burke in jail for failing to abide by the court order or pay the fine?”

…. because he was late for court! It was adjourned.

• Advertisement

There's no guarantee he would have been sacked. Gross misconduct can be very subjective. I've seen people in my place have a stand up row with the boss and they weren't charged with gross misconduct. I work in the Public Service.

You could argue that not following the suspension was more of an instance of gross misconduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

So the widely-reported untruths in the media are not your problem but when someone here uses it to make a point that you can't quite catch, passive-aggressive time. Got it.

I don't have an ignore list and will respond to whomever and whatever I want. Cheers.

Yes, and it has been reported that he was verbally abusing the principal on at least two occasions. At the church service, and then later at the dinner as well. So the behavior has been repeated. Thank you for pointing out that that means it does in fact meet the legal definition of bullying. And those are only the times that he has done it in public. I have to wonder if there have been other occasions that weren't so public.

Honest question. Did Enoch Burke abuse the Principal? He disagreed with her but did he actually abuse her? I haven't heard that he used abusive language.

what is the purpose of your question? what is your aim here? i'm sure you've read the same newspaper reports as the rest of us.

• Advertisement

Following someone around screaming at them is abusive. It doesn't particularly matter what the words are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It’s such a pity there’s 10 of them. One or two, there’d only be so much disruption they can cause and attention they can draw to themselves. We’ll be hearing about this crowd for the next 60 years.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No it doesn’t.

Has the Principal claimed her dignity was undermined? Not that I have read. She said they would discuss matters at a later time, she then alleged that he followed her, speaking loudly and that others intervened to prevent him following her. He also disrupted the meal, but there has been no allegation of bullying by the Principal that I have read.

Im surprised Magnolia Hissing Youth hasn’t corrected your inaccuracy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think you can draw some inferences from what we've seen of Enochs behaviour and what we have been told about the incident at the school Church service.

We are told that he refused to stop his polemic about the "evils of transgenderism" and then proceeded to follow the Principal around the room continuing to shout and rant at her as she tried to leave the room.

If you watch the videos of his behaviour at the School disciplinary hearing where he was shouting and following the board members around the hotel as they tried to leave the building I think it's not unreasonable to infer that his actions at the school event were probably not all that dissimilar.

The student is requesting “they/them” so you’re correct they are non binary but the problem is the Burkes are claiming this is all about Transgenderism. We know it’s not and never was but that is the narrative they’re putting forward. Enoch claims he was fired for not accepting transgenderism because it’s against his religion and who was it being dragged out of court last week shouting “Transgenderism blah blah blah”? Was that Simeon?

3 justices have ruled its not about transgenderism also but unfortunately the seed has been planted 🙄

It's already been discussed here that the newspaper reports aren't always accurate. Argued only a few posts ago.

A statement was made the statement that Burke abused the Principal. The purpose of my question is to verify if Burke actually abused the Principal. Would shouting "I will never call a boy a girl" repeatedly constitute abuse or would it just be an annoying protest? I've read nowhere that Burke made threats or used abusive language towards the Principal. They're the things that I could think would constitute abuse.

By the way, I think Burke was wrong but people are throwing around statements as if they are fact when they might not be fact.

following somebody around while shouting at them and requiring others to physically separate burke from the principal constitutes abuse in my book.

That's subjective. Was it screaming or shouting. Shouting something isn't necessarily abusive. Some reports say he was speaking loudly. So, was he screaming, shouting or speaking loudly. Very subjective.

For instance, when the gobsh1tes were shouting 'Where is John Rogers' outside the board meeting in the hotel, I wouldn't consider that abusive. Annoying as fcuk, but not abusive. Did Enoch do something similar at the function? I would think that the words Burke used matter.

• I know what he’s doing and he’s doing it on purpose I would assume

suppose “non binary” doesn’t have the same cut to it that “transgenderism” has in their weird circle

• Advertisement

I vaguely remember something about an outburst in a staff meeting too? Maybe someone can correct me on that one?

Abuse comes in many forms and while you may not find something abusive, someone else might. It has everything to do with how a “victim” views it and the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

What does any of that have to do with Enochs Burke situation? Enoch Burke is in his current situation because of his refusal to obey court orders and his refusal to follow the appropriate dispute resolution procedures with his employer more generally.

As someone else said earlier on the thread he could have been suspended for spilling milk and it would make dam all difference to his current situation due to the actions Enoch Burke has taken after this suspension.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's also about the context and situation.

What's deemed "acceptable" on a building site or down the back of a warehouse is absolutely not the same as what is acceptable at a Church Service in a school.

What you might be able to say to your boss with only other staff around is likely very very different to what you would get away with when surrounded by customers (or parents and dignitaries in this case) for example.

Also - Refusing to stop when instructed by to your employer is never going to end well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Some day out there today. Anyone know if he turned up?

I'm not an eejit. I know why Burke is in trouble......for not obeying a court injunction or proper disciplinary procedures.

That said, I'm questioning the language used around Burke's behaviour at the school function. It's claimed that he was abusive towards the Principal. I'm questioning what form did this abuse take. Depending on what source you are reading, it ranged from he's screaming, ranting, shouting all the way down to talking loudly. It's said he was abusive towards the Principal. I'm saying that's subjective as it's arguable whether he was abusive or not. While I think Burke's behaviour is very wrong, I'd argue that if he was simply repeating stuff loudly like his family was when they were shouting 'Where is John Rogers' in the hotel in Athlone or wherever it was, I wouldn't consider that to be abusive. I fully acknowledge that others might find it abusive. That's why I'm saying it's subjective.

It's not that simple. I'm not trying to be a d1ck here but what you've described above is how many protests go.

Was he shouting or talking loudly? Was he insulting or not? Did the person who intervened overreact or did they just get fed up listening to him? How far away was Burke when the person decided to intervene? They may not have been in any physical danger. These are all valid questions that I don't know the answer to but neither do any other people here unless they witnessed the incident. And the answers to those questions may well be yes, he did abuse the Principal and yes, we thought he was going to choke her etc. but there's not much solid evidence to go on really. People can say 'well, the newspaper said this, that or the other' but as can be seen, the newspapers get stuff wrong plenty of times.

I'd love to get a look at the disciplinary report that says what Burke is accused of doing. Won't happen though unless Burke releases it, which is unlikely.

Can we do the mobile phone footage one again? It's been a while.

Agreed.

But whoever rules on it has to do so subjectively. I could say something very harmless to you and you could take it to heart and feel like I was abusing you. 100 other people might think it was something very minor and not worth mention if I said it to them. Does that mean I should be sacked from my job for abusing you, even though nearly everyone wouldn't consider it abuse? I doubt it.

Look, I'm not saying Burke didn't abuse the Principal. I'm just saying that, given the various descriptions of his actions, it isn't clear that Burke's actions could 100% be considered abuse by a rational person. Perhaps there's a lot more evidence that we aren't aware of, such as language etc. and hopefully as things progress, some or all of it might be released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Again what relevance does any of that have to Burkes situation and the thread in general? He could have called the principal the best person to ever exist and it would not make any difference to Enochs Burkes situation due to the man's actions after he was suspended unfortunately.

It's extremely frustrating that every 2 of 3 pages that it has be restated that Enochs Burkes current situation is due to his actions after he was suspended not anything to do with transgender people, not what the exact words he said or actions he took against the school principal etc etc etc.

To top it all off no one here who can prove they were actually present and have a full recording of Burkes actions at the school event in question. Making the exact definition of those actions impossible to prove beyond doubt and even more irrelevant.

Advertisement