Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice UK 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Its getting to the stage that men will stop applying and the quality of men entering will fall. We will end up seeing less and less men getting to the final stages of the show.

I'll watch the interviews as they are always entertaining but I'm not too bothered about who wins the show this year. None of the final 5 are that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Yes plenty of criticisms equally for everyone in the losing team tonight.

If the tables were turned and it was 4 guys and 1 woman left I doubt she would have been fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,770 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What male candidate do you think should still be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The rot has already started, none of them were great but i think Sugar was a little quick to fire some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kevin - Irish guy in Week 2, Bao Buns. Seemed an illogical firing. All male team so I guess a guy had to go regardless.

Gregory - Week 3. Most seemed to think it harsh as he had done so well in Week 1.

Reece - Week 6. Disappeared between Heathrow and Dubai. Possibly still in Duty Free.

Joe - Week 6. Dubai task. Waterwatergate. Terrible firing imo.

Sohail - Week 7. No-brainer firing after terrible childrens lunchbox task.

Mark - Week 8. Badly mismanaged prison task, deserved firing.

Bradley - Week 9. Insta-firing without being brought back. Couldn't argue with the firing, method seemed unduly harsh.

Avi - Second firing of Week 9. Weak candidate who shouldn't have got that far.

Simba - Week 10. Didn't seem the most responsible for the team loss.

I'd say Kevin, Joe and Simba could probably all feel hard done by, but nature of the game. Gregory also maybe, but he was probably a nothing candidate.

(Note I had to check wiki, just in case people think I know this stuff off by heart)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

How Resting Bitch Face has made it to the final is beyond me. Useless from start to finish and the typical complainer who does nothing but ensures she's either nowhere near the binfire or when she does get near, piles on others.

Long gone are the years where teams genuinely competed to be the better team. The last two or three years have been teams competing to be the less worse team. I mean how many times this year have there been zero sales by a team or literally one measly order. Its a bit embarassing.

And whilst I certainly wouldn't say the BBC are trying to be woke, there is no way that two of them should be anywhere near the final. Joe and Simba (and maybe Kevin) are way way stronger than Rochelle and Dani.

Saw this on Twitter and it's fairly damning. Of the last 29 interviews, there have been 3 men.

Interview stage

S12

Men: 0

Women: 5

S13

Men: 1

Women : 4

S14

Women: 4

S15

Women: 4

S16

Women: 4 (fires last male early to have less interviews)

S17

Women: 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Doesn't matter whether you are a man or woman in this show imo.

Sugar obviously sees all of the business proposals ahead of time and plans his firings to get rid of the worst ones before the final. That's why there are so many odd firings, doesn't matter how you perform in a task anymore if your business plan is pants. Just keep the 5 'least bad' business plans in until the interviews, make sure there are a couple of car crash CVs amongst them so the interviewers can do their big reveal, put through the 2 you have been considering since the start and bobs yer uncle - you have The Apprentice 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I simply don't believe that, most firings make sense, also every year the business plans are awful, there's no way they were the best business plans of all the contestants.

Looking forward to the interviews, nice to see Claude back, also Karen doing interviews? Has that always been the case?

Post edited by Mantis Toboggan on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

The business plans are awful because most of the contestants are awful. As far as I can see the business plans are generally extensions of the candidates current job or business. 'I work on recruitment so I'll use the £250k to start my own recruitment business' or 'I bake and sell cakes so I'll use the £250k to expand my current business and bake more cakes', that type of thing. None of them seem to be original in any way.

I much preferred the show when the prize was a job at the end.

• Advertisement

This is it. The proposals have been woefully unimaginative in the last few years. Its quite clear that he'll read the business plan and pick the best one of the bunch. And sure why would he pick a great candidate if their plan is awful. Really makes the outcome a bit of a misdirect.

£250K for a 50% share severely limits what the business can be though. Like it's not going to enable a contestant to buy new helicopters for their fledgling luxury executive commuting business, or purchase a 25-bed hotel in a region about to become the next big holiday location.

Almost by definition, the amount limits it to expanding a bakery, some niche online clothes retailing or a mild expansion of a recruitment business.

Make it £5M for a 50% share and you'd get a different class of contestant/plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

i just seen this thread pop up, so said id comment....

i find it pretty appauling how inept the ideas and concepts are on this show, let alone the level of "intelligence" from all parties taking part.

ppl siging off on what they clearly think are gamechanging ideas, are merely pre primary school ideas and concepts at best , and they think its great !

im no Einstein, but i come on......

social media is running ppl's ability to think outside the box imo, if you catch my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think the prize part is nearly an anchor on the formats neck. The assumption is that the business plan is the big driver may not be quite true but it has to play a part, I do think the show needs a proper shake up. Whether that’s changing the prize, Sugar, the tasks themselves or the process for picking the candidates I don’t know, maybe all 4 things but I just can’t get into it, I’ll watch this week for the interviews as that’s always top notch car crash stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The quality of the candidates piss all right. But the quality of the weekly challenges is poor too. Nothing new ...same tired old format.

Design a real or digital product in a few hours, come up with a logo and packaging and pitch it for some pretendy sales...yawn.

I like the item finding task and the interviews. But apart from that the producers could do with getting creative.

Those crappy tasks are made worse by the fact that the contestants who are largely useless as is, have zero experience in the product (e.g. apps for kids) and then get barrelled out of it when it's not the next Peppa Pig.

I love the interviews because it feels like the only time contestants are realistically treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,770 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

If you can't make a brand new dog food in 4 hours, you cannot be my next business partner.,.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Naturo, natural pet food. Head, shoulders, knees and nose, Naturo. Paws and ears and tails and toes, it’s Naturo. Fire a chicken leg and thigh, chopped carrots and spuds, and a few peas in a fish and mix it all up. Bish bash bosh I give u Naturo. Task won.

Said it before but it's like a singing competition where the first rounds are singing covers and then for the final you sing something you wrote yourself. Makes the previous rounds largely irrelevant.

I probably say this every year, but this years were definitelythe worst lot ever.

• Advertisement

It really is not rocket science. The brief was not too arduous or complicated, so where the insects idea came from is anyones guess.

It's a particularly left-field idea, so I think it was led by the production company.

The team seemed to be handed a folder with various options on it as we saw one of them flicking through it at the start. It's possible that insects was actually the best choice of what they were allowed do. Otherwise, on a task where pricing wasn't mentioned once, chucking 10oz of fillet steak in a tin would have been a no-brainer.

Not even fillet steak. Having grown up around dogs, I know they will eat any kind of meat.

They could have done a rnage called something like Pooch Pies, loosely based on some pie recipes common in the UK. Steak and Kidney Pie(self explanatory), Cornish Pastie(beef and carrot), Shepherds Pie(Lamb and peas). The addition of vegetables for added fibre.

While it wasn't a money making task, most people are feeling the cost of living crisis and when money is short Im pretty sure, the first obvious saving is going for a cheaper Dog Food. Unless Rover can read, he doesnt know the difference between Pedigree Chum and Tesco own brand dog food. I just did a quick search on tesco.ie. Caesar 150g is 1.50. Tesco own brand 300g is 69 cent. A quarter of the price.

Yeah, I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

I just feel within these tasks there is something we aren't being told. Gourmet product with decent cheapish meat cuts was a no-brainer as you say but maybe when the other team chose that (first choice perhaps) then the second team was left with fruit, insects or vegetarian? It's noticeable to me on these tasks they always have the two teams doing slightly different things (e.g., recently one team picked the over 50s market for the beauty product, and we get told the other picked the 30something market). Law of averages would suggest they should occasionally land on the same idea, but they never do. So I suspect they have to choose from a limited set, and must choose differently. Would actually be fairer tasks if they were both doing identical things, but maybe it would make the episode repetitive.

Yeah. As Ive posted before they are clearly setup up to fail from the get go. Probably to add more drama. Stuff like, sending them out to do market research after they have a partially finished product. Often times to be told, "your product design is crap" but too late to change it.

You would wonder how much time they are given because running out of time for seemingly easy tasks seem to be a recurring theme.

Theres also some obvious half truths. Voiceover guy "4am - the cars will be outside in 20 minutes.". However its always daytime when they are seen leaving the house. I can get myself showered, suited and booted in 20 minutes, but the ladies, drying hair etc, there is no way that all gets done in 20 minutes. Plus, the house they stay in will have to have 12 showers, otherwise, there will be a queue. If one shower, 12 contestants, and only 2 minutes in the shower each is 24 minutes anyway, thats without drying and getting dressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's some house in fairness, there was reports earlier in the season of 2 contestants caught getting stuck into each other in the gym, wonder who they were.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

There was a girl a few years back called Carina who won. She had a bakery called Dough in Herne Hill.

With the Alan Sugar money she opened a second one in Beckenham.

That's it. She had one shop, she now has two. Do hundreds of businesses not open a second shop each day? Does it require isolating yourself from the world for ten weeks and having tv cameras film an old man shouting at you? Or maybe just go to the bank, then to the estate agent?

The whole show is a farce. At least with Dragon's Den, where they are making an investment in others' companies, they say that they want a stake in equity and have an interest in how the thing is going to go. Not sending you out in the middle of the night without a smartphone to buy a load of shite that you have never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thats a rumour they put out every year that a few of them start shagging, it probably has happened over the years but I doubt its as common as they say it is.

I think Rochelle is the most likeable one left in it at this stage.

Just had a look there to see how last years winner is getting on, most of the articles seem to be more about the fact that she is now going out with one of the other candidates rather than anything about how her business is doing.

• Advertisement

Are they dumbing down on purpose or really that thick.

They wouldn't pass an interview for Aldi let alone an investment for 250 k

Advertisement